The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Not sure if this is where this post belongs. Mods feel free to move it wherever it needs to be.

West Coast blues is a very heavily jazz influenced form of blues. Some names associated with the genre include Junior Watson, Kid Andersen, David "Kid" Ramos, Rusty Zinn, "Little Charlie" Baty (deceased), Tommy Harkenrider, James Harman, Duke Robillard, Alex Schultz, Jimmy Vaughan, among several others. Anson Funderburgh (Texas blues), Rick Holmstrom, Kirk Fletcher, Jimmy Vaughan, "Kid" Bangham, and Ronnie Earl are pretty much straight ahead traditional blues players that will occasionally use jazz phrasing. Little Charlie Baty (RIP) quite often played straight ahead swing jazz, as does Kid Andersen. Duke also plays a lot of straight ahead swing.

Just curious if anyone here plays or listens to contemporary West Coast blues/swing? It's a good stepping stone to learn some basic swing jazz. There is a type of West Coast jazz/blues from the late '40s, '50s, and '60s, but I'm referring to a more contemporary version of West Coast swing/blues that came about in the mid to late '70s to the present. Anyway, as I stated above, I'm curious if anyone here is into contemporary West Coast blues/swing?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How about adding some samples that highlight what this is about?

User Info Menu

aka Jump Blues. One of my absolute favorites!!! I love it even more than big band swing and definitely more than jazz. It's not just the left coast, jump blues has been around forever, Louis Jordan being the prime example, from when big bands became too expensive to tour with, so many greatly reduced their bands to the bare minimum of players, and the music changed to suit. Still totally danceable.

More recent examples:

The Insomniacs

Kid Ramos

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

User Info Menu

I also dig Western Swing, I like Asleep At The Wheel, but I have a really hard time listening to Bob Wills, due to his incessant, cornpone "eeeeee" "aaaah". "oooooooh yeaahhhhhhh" while people are soloing... he was so silly it was like Hee Haw before Hee Haw. Damn shame too, because he always had an awesome band! I like the "related" guitar instrumentalists of the time: Jimmy Bryant, Jimmy Rivers, Roy Lanham

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

To me that sounds like music that sits on the transition from blues to rock 'n roll...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    To me that sounds like music that sits on the transition from blues to rock 'n roll...
    As a form it does, as it's usually not the obligatory 2-5-1. But when you listen to the chord/note choices of the guitarists, there is alot of jazz influence in there.

User Info Menu

Duke Robillard made two albums with Herb Ellis. Cant get much more swing jazz then Herb.

Some early 40s and 50s influences on West Coast Blues include Tiny Grimes, Louis Jordan, T Bone Walker, etc.

User Info Menu

Let's not forget Hollywood Fats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    As a form it does, as it's usually not the obligatory 2-5-1.
    2-5-1 as in the usual ending cadence, or is that your way to referring to the (almost) obligatory 1-1-1-1-4-4-1-1-5-4-1-5?

Brian Setzer ... I hesitated adding a Stray Cats video to my post but I usually have no problem getting that style down as rockabilly

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    2-5-1 as in the usual ending cadence, or is that your way to referring to the (almost) obligatory 1-1-1-1-4-4-1-1-5-4-1-5?
    Obligatory in that this is a JAZZ forum that talks way more about Methany, Pass, Green than they ever talk about T-Bone Walker, Tiny Grimes, and Eldon Shamblin.

I love rockabilly, but that is definitely rock+jazz, at least the original 'billy. Alot of the later rockabilly is pretty much just hyped-up blues. But the OGs definitely has some jazz sensibilities in their playing (as does Setzer.)

The "west coast" thing to me was born out of the big band swing movement, where they simplified it in order to keep people dancing with a much smaller and more affordable touring group.

User Info Menu

Duke Robillard in laid-back, dance-friendly swing mode:

And uptempo with more guitar:

I never tire of this album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson
    Duke Robillard in laid-back, dance-friendly swing mode:

And uptempo with more guitar:

I never tire of this album.

It's a good one.Got me tapping a hole through the hardwood floor.

User Info Menu

Robillard's "Shivers" really makes me think of Kenny Burrell...

User Info Menu

I have transcribed this solo by Alex Schultz, and still get a lot of use out of those licks!

I also really dig the tone of that Gretsch Country Club.

User Info Menu

I forgot about Schultz! Nice pick!

User Info Menu

tiny grimes frankie - Google Search

1953 Frankie & Johnny Boogie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DougB
    Duke Robillard made two albums with Herb Ellis. Cant get much more swing jazz then Herb.

Some early 40s and 50s influences on West Coast Blues include Tiny Grimes, Louis Jordan, T Bone Walker, etc.
    I have both of those records. Love those guys. Herb's my favorite and Duke is way up there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StringNavigator
    tiny grimes frankie - Google Search

1953 Frankie & Johnny Boogie
    Duke's version of that tune is really his version of Tiny's version.

User Info Menu

Another classic side from Bill Jennings (-a huge influence on Duke Robillard)

User Info Menu

Paul Pigat, Kid Ramos, and our own Tommy Harkenrider "Boogie Real Low."
    (That's Tommy in the middle. He's deep into jump blues and has several great education videos you should check out if you're into this style of playing.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Not sure if this is where this post belongs. Mods feel free to move it wherever it needs to be.

West Coast blues is a very heavily jazz influenced form of blues. Some names associated with the genre include Junior Watson, Kid Andersen, David "Kid" Ramos, Rusty Zinn, "Little Charlie" Baty (deceased), Tommy Harkenrider, James Harman, Duke Robillard, Alex Schultz, Jimmy Vaughan, among several others. Anson Funderburgh (Texas blues), Rick Holmstrom, Kirk Fletcher, Jimmy Vaughan, "Kid" Bangham, and Ronnie Earl are pretty much straight ahead traditional blues players that will occasionally use jazz phrasing. Little Charlie Baty (RIP) quite often played straight ahead swing jazz, as does Kid Andersen. Duke also plays a lot of straight ahead swing.

Just curious if anyone here plays or listens to contemporary West Coast blues/swing? It's a good stepping stone to learn some basic swing jazz. There is a type of West Coast jazz/blues from the late '40s, '50s, and '60s, but I'm referring to a more contemporary version of West Coast swing/blues that came about in the mid to late '70s to the present. Anyway, as I stated above, I'm curious if anyone here is into contemporary West Coast blues/swing?
    I listen to a fair amount of Jimmy Vaughan, Duke Robillard, and Ronnie Earl, and have checked out most of the others you mention. The term "west coast blues" is a new one on me, but if we're talking about blues players from the west coast or southwest, I'd add Robert Cray, Chris Cain, Robben Ford, and Joe Louis Walker. Cain is the swingiest of that bunch. Arguably later Mike Bloomfield could be in the mix -- he lived in the Bay Area and was kind of the king of the scene that several of the people we're talking about arose from. I play a lot of blues, a lot of jazz, and a lot of blends of the two, but on the east coast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I listen to a fair amount of Jimmy Vaughan, Duke Robillard, and Ronnie Earl, and have checked out most of the others you mention. The term "west coast blues" is a new one on me, but if we're talking about blues players from the west coast or southwest, I'd add Robert Cray, Chris Cain, Robben Ford, and Joe Louis Walker. Cain is the swingiest of that bunch. Arguably later Mike Bloomfield could be in the mix -- he lived in the Bay Area and was kind of the king of the scene that several of the people we're talking about arose from. I play a lot of blues, a lot of jazz, and a lot of blends of the two, but on the east coast
    "West coast" blues isn't really about location; maybe it was at one time, for some reason, but it's not now. It's really just another name for swinging jump blues. Many examples in this thread. I wouldn't even call it [just] "blues".. [just] Blues to me is most of BB Kings stuff, Robert Cray, even more swinging/dancing stuff like Albert Collins and Freddie King. Even tho they kinda swing, they aren't really west coast blues. But there is overlap in all this stuff. I treat these genre names as a general idea/grey area. Just because something isn't labeled "west coast blues" doesn't mean it doesn't swing.

Tab Benoit: blues. "Cajun" Blues. Yet he also swings sometimes. Don't worry too much about the label. Altho on the other hand: Kid Ramos and Hollywood Fats are rarely called [just] blues... it's always jump blues or west coast blues... so that's also a way to discover some players you didn't know about (by chasing monikers).

User Info Menu

All right then, now that I know the east coast is legal for this thread ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    "West coast" blues isn't really about location; maybe it was at one time, for some reason, but it's not now. It's really just another name for swinging jump blues. Many examples in this thread. I wouldn't even call it [just] "blues".. [just] Blues to me is most of BB Kings stuff, Robert Cray, even more swinging/dancing stuff like Albert Collins and Freddie King. Even tho they kinda swing, they aren't really west coast blues. But there is overlap in all this stuff. I treat these genre names as a general idea/grey area. Just because something isn't labeled "west coast blues" doesn't mean it doesn't swing.

Tab Benoit: blues. "Cajun" Blues. Yet he also swings sometimes. Don't worry too much about the label. Altho on the other hand: Kid Ramos and Hollywood Fats are rarely called [just] blues... it's always jump blues or west coast blues... so that's also a way to discover some players you didn't know about (by chasing monikers).
    The overlap is all the current west coast guys, they all want to be T-Bone, so did B.B actually, and T-Bone is from Texas along with Collins, Freddie King and a slew of other players past and current. All good blues swings whether it is west coast jump style or not.