The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

any suggestions?

I play in a restaurant, which when busy, is pretty loud.

can't hear much, can't hear what I'm playing don't want to turn up too much.

I have some musician's earplugs that help a bit.

any other suggestions? What are noise cancelling headphones?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Run a small 2nd amp as a monitor? (i.e. pointing back at you, not the audience).

User Info Menu

Noise cancelling headphones work on the principle of phase cancellation. They have a tiny mic in them that feeds into the actual headphones- It takes the external noise, splits it in two, flips one half 180 degrees out of phase and thus makes the noise vanish, as if by magic, when it reaches your ears. They can work very well. bose make great ones. Now-I'd not recommend them to monitor recording, but in a live situation they can help.

Me-i'd just be turning the monitor towards me more.

By musicians ear phones, I presume you mean some kind of in-ear monitoring system? These can work well, but you need an ear doctor to make a mould of your ear to get a correctly fitting pair, and this costs big-time. Ssome of them let you soak or heat the phones so you can do this yourself-but guess what-it's not perfect. you get what you pay for, always. Leakage is the problem. Any leakage lets external noise in.

User Info Menu

Hello Mark

I have been playing in a restaurant for over a year, a bassist with a singer/guitarist. When things are loud instead of playing louder go the other way. Play softer or just take a short break. This is the type of gig where you don't want or need a lot of equipment, so instead of adding a monitor/second amp just place your amp where you can hear it. It is different than your normal gig because you are there as ambiance or background music. People should be able to talk over the music so never go too loud. Use a microphone to bring their attention to you. Talk to them, get personal. Mention the waitstaff and tell them that you hope everyone is enjoying the food and the music, maybe take a request or dedicate a song to someone.

These gigs are different because you don't always want your audience's full attention. Instead provide a pleasant environment for their dining pleasure. Don't think you are being ignored or unappreciated, it's all about setting the right mood.

On the other hand, if you are really good and have their attention, sometimes it's not so good for the restaurant. If they are just listening and not ordering food or just sitting there after eating when people are waiting to be seated if things are busy they aren't making money. Sometimes customers may not want to leave in the middle of your set. That's a good time to take a break so people can leave and others can be seated.

It can be a good gig, just don't let the noise rattle you.

User Info Menu

thanks guys, yes it is a good gig, and I am glad to have it,

Don't think you are being ignored or unappreciated, it's all about setting the right mood.
    Yes, I understand that, agree with you, and have no problems with that.

And sometimes when it seems as though no one at all, is listening, I am surprised, by a compliment.

I think the problem is that we (myself and electric bass player) are on a mezannine, I guess it is called, an open second floor above the actual restaurant.

the place has a high ceiling, and when the crowd has had a few, it honestly gets to the point where I cant hear myself;

and since I tend to play mainly by ear, it's a problem.

appreciate the help, thanks.

turning up, is not an option, they have to be able to carry on a conversation.

I sit right beside my amp, so changing its position, or where I sit doesn't help much.

musician's ear plugs I have are molded to my ear,

maybe I will check noise cancelling, but I think they are pretty pricey.

User Info Menu

there's no monitors at restaurant gigs!I just always sit a foot or two over and in front of my amp. usually good enough. Tuning your EQ into the room can help too, some rooms get "bassy" when they fill up, and if there's too much low end in your tone, it seems to get sucked into the carpeting.I always wonder, when I play a particularly noisy place, if they're doing anyone any favors by having "quiet restaurant" type entertainment...but hey, i'll take their money.Noise cancelling headphones are great, and Bose's are fantastic. But they're for enjoying music at home--I'd never be caught dead in a restaurant with a pair of headphones on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    there's no monitors at restaurant gigs!I just always sit a foot or two over and in front of my amp. usually good enough. Tuning your EQ into the room can help too, some rooms get "bassy" when they fill up, and if there's too much low end in your tone, it seems to get sucked into the carpeting.I always wonder, when I play a particularly noisy place, if they're doing anyone any favors by having "quiet restaurant" type entertainment...but hey, i'll take their money.Noise cancelling headphones are great, and Bose's are fantastic. But they're for enjoying music at home--I'd never be caught dead in a restaurant with a pair of headphones on!
    My thought also. Amp placement, whether on a small stand, tilted or whatever makes a huge difference. As a part time sound guy, getting an amp off the floor even a bit makes a world of difference.

Some sort of in ear monitoring seems over kill to me, but I have yet to play in a restaurant where I couldn't hear myself. Since we aren't there, you know better than we. Good luck

User Info Menu

Just tell everyone to pipe down, so you can hear yourself play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goofsus4
    Get the chef to come out and do it. Waving a cleaver gets people's attention.

User Info Menu

I like it.

I can just lean out and yell out

"shut the "bleep" up" I've been practising this tune for two weeks, you're
    gonna listen to it whether you like or not" etc.

I will try raising up the amp, maybe a piece of styro foam. good idea.

Yeah, its hard to describe, its a very large place, holds probably 150 people, is a remodeled warehouse, has steel walls, steel roof, huge glass windows, probably three stories from floor to ceiling, clear glass wall right beside us.

but again thanks for the ideas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    Yeah, its hard to describe, its a very large place, holds probably 150 people, is a remodeled warehouse, has steel walls, steel roof, huge glass windows, probably three stories from floor to ceiling, clear glass wall right beside us.
    Yikes! Have you gotten a friend to wander the restaurant and hear how you sound when playing? A place like that may need a real PA system to do it any justice.

User Info Menu

==================

Hello Gang Of Guitar Gurus :

Did a gig in a club in Palm Springs so. California at a Disco Club that would have live name acts at times . One night Maria Mualdaur was doing her act there and I sat in on harp since her show was mostly The Blues .

She's one classy lady and when the usual patrons ( disco types ) were too loud she politely told them to clam up because if she couldn't here herself ( it was a trio that night - her singing - piano man - me on harp ) and that they were very inconsiderate to those who came to hear the show . Wow it worked !

Don't know if you have the " clout " like her or if the management would give you grief for doing what she did but I have used her lead since and gotten decent results doing it :

" HER WAY " .

Small clubs are hard to call and sometimes just you and your amp are not going to cut it . I have a Sony Boom box with a sub-woofer and use it as a monitor from time to time to get over this kind of problem .

A self powered " HOT SPOT " monitor is the ideal solution , here's a link with all sorts of them in different sizes good luck .

hot spot monitor - Google Search

I just got a Polytone

shopgoodwill.com - #5750715 - Polytone Mini Brute Guitar Amp - 1/31/2010 1:55:08 PM

( old one used ) and it's got 2 cabs with 12" & 8" drivers - 3 channels and super great for solo small clubs .

Here's it's sound ( a guy in Japan just nailed this one ) :

I use one cab as a monitor in tuff small rooms .

I plug my mic into the GNX4 DAW my Roland GR33 guitar synthesizer module + LGXSA electric/midi/acoustic guitar into the GNX4's stereo line inputs and from the GNX4 to the Polytone and have room for a bullet mic too since the Polytone has 3 channels !

It's not stereo but I don't mind because it sounds great no matter if it's stereo or not .

Biggest advantage of this sweet sounding set up :

Light as it gets when it comes to :

loading up - unloading and setting up .............

- breaking it down ... and loading it AGAIN and unloading it when you get home !

Easy man .

Hurricane Ramon

User Info Menu

Have you gotten a friend to wander the restaurant and hear how you sound when playing
    "Yikes" is right.

good idea, but I don't have any friends!

the friends that have dropped by tend to be hypercritical don't know why, quite a wierd phemonenon.

I have asked the staff ... waitresses, owner, etc, how is it, can you hear us, too loud, too quiet, etc. answer is always, " fine, good yeah we can hear you, it's great, etc."

In other words, no help there.

Been playing there for a few years, so I guess as far as they're concerned it's just fine.

I also think, that when the crowd gets loud, I will scrap the ballads, more complicated standards and jazz tunes, with a fair number of chords, and
    just play simple tunes Like "I got rhythm" maybe some one chord funk tunes, and keep it simple till they quite down a bit.

maybe ten minutes of:

"feet don't fail me now, feet don't fail me now" by the dirty dozen brass band.

(Love that tune)

I appreciate all the input, will try these ideas out. some of them are easy to try.

User Info Menu

I'm with Derek; I have found that having the amp up high helps with that ambient noise problem. I have a swivelling stool that I sit on, a stationary stool the same height that I put the amp on, and whether I stand (I'm only 5'4', so sitting on the stool or standing is not much diff) or sit, I get the sound clearly w/o having to play louder.

User Info Menu

If it's so loud you can't hear yourself, does it really matter at all? Sounds almost like free money. If people want to hear something, they'll be quiet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    any suggestions?

I play in a restaurant, which when busy, is pretty loud.

can't hear much, can't hear what I'm playing don't want to turn up too much.

I have some musician's earplugs that help a bit.

any other suggestions? What are noise cancelling headphones?
    I would put the amp on a stand to get it up from the floor. I used to play in our local big band in the 80s and 90s. The band complained that they never heard me enough, turning up the volume didn't help. I had a monitor stand that we tried and that was the end of the problem, the band heard me, I heard myself better and could even play at a lower volume.

Good luck!
    /R

User Info Menu

Definitely going to try putting the amp up, I have something I can use for that, it will be up at same level as me, sounds like a good solution.

all the suggestions are much appreciated.

Maria Muldaur, !!! Nice.

User Info Menu

My thought also. Amp placement, whether on a small stand, tilted or whatever makes a huge difference. As a part time sound guy, getting an amp off the floor even a bit makes a world of difference.
    got a tilting stand, which also raised the amp a few inches off the floor;

worked great, much better, thanks a lot.

User Info Menu

How's the food?

User Info Menu

for me, honestly it'snothing to do with gear

It's concentration and focus on your task. Sure volume is one thing, and it sucks in those gigs where everyone is talking over you. I found after years of dealing with that bullshit that I can tune them out and focus on me. It's not going to be as clear as in a quiet room, but it shouldn't effect your concept of the instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    How's the food?
    Kelowna eh?

Any places in Kelowna to hear jazz/blues/roots music? Any Winnnipeg or Regina folks play there?

I have driven by Kelowna a few times, but so far haven't stopped in. Maybe next trip west.

The food is good, it's on the high end, and, while I have only munched it a few times, (it was good) Place is busy, so it must be good.

Anyway, it smells tasty. (Winnipeg area).

Jake Hanlon:

As far as concentration goes, yes, and I have worked on that pretty well, But that takes me so far;

as suggested by someone, the stand definitely helped a lot. A big difference.