The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

So I walk into my regular Sunday evening solo gig at the local beautiful, historic hotel I've been playing and the crowd erupts in applause. Even standing up ovations. These are obviously folks who are extremely intoxicated or escapees from the local mental institution. I find out they think I'm the Karaoke guy and are very wound up to sing "New York, New York". I set up quickly and Immediately ran through Round Midnight, Nardis, and In a Sentimental Mood. They all left within minutes. The joys of the solo jazz guitarist.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You deserve better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco1
    So I walk into my regular Sunday evening solo gig at the local beautiful, historic hotel I've been playing and the crowd erupts in applause. Even standing up ovations. These are obviously folks who are extremely intoxicated or escapees from the local mental institution. I find out they think I'm the Karaoke guy and are very wound up to sing "New York, New York". I set up quickly and Immediately ran through Round Midnight, Nardis, and In a Sentimental Mood. They all left within minutes. The joys of the solo jazz guitarist.
    Unfortunately, it is called "solo guitar" because you are the only person in the room and since you just happened to be holding a guitar, it is considered "solo guitar". So that begs the question - if you were being carded by the union local guy, there would be another person in the room. Would that still be considered solo guitar?

Tony

User Info Menu

Keep in mind Jaco that the majority of people are f#cking idiots even before they over consume alcohol.

User Info Menu

Well, you did "start spreading the news"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Well, you did "start spreading the news"
    And if you could make it there, you could make it anywhere! At least you did it your way

User Info Menu

This is a problem you can fix.

If it was my gig, I'd be working on an upbeat solo version of New York New York right now. Maybe a few other overplayed (aka, well known and liked) tunes. Then you might keep the room next time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    And if you could make it there, you could make it anywhere! At least you did it your way
    And the audience was "leaving today"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Keep in mind Jaco that the majority of people are f#cking idiots even before they over consume alcohol.
    I wish I could disagree with you. Oh, how I wish.

User Info Menu

This is why there’s hardly any gigs anymore. Musicians in their own world driving away business

User Info Menu

Good riddance to drunk karaoke lovers says I. They aren't a target audience. Nor are they a potential audience even if you shake your booty playing a sick solo version of new york new york with your teeth they are leaving. The other option is let drunks on your stage to sing badly. I'd rather work the cash register at a Valero myself. You didn't even have to ask them to leave so that is actually even better. Almost paradise, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM
    This is why there’s hardly any gigs anymore. Musicians in their own world driving away business
    How do you know what I play? Where I went to school (Berklee and Aspen) What a assinine insulting comment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM
    Are you suggesting the OP was the issue here?

User Info Menu

Their are lessons to be learnt if you pay attention. Sorry for the unfortunate incident.

User Info Menu

I do a solo jazz guitar gig at a wine bar very close to my house every Saturday. I have been doing this gig for 11 years now. I have a few observations:

1. Some days the crowd is with me, meaning lots of applause, lots of tips and a few people coming up to talk to me on my breaks (usually guitarists). Some days the crowd could care less and on those days my tip jar is very light indeed (no matter, the venue pays me well).

2. I get my best crowd response from VERY well known tunes like Girl From Ipanema and Fly me to the moon. Obscure tunes like September in the Rain or Where or When do not reach a non-jazz audience as well.

3. I get way more interest in the guitar I bring when it is a solid body rather than an archtop.

4. I am mostly at ease about the gig when I reflect that my job is to provide background ambience to folks doing a wine tasting. I am not Joe Pass and they did not show up to hear me give a concert (though there are a few who tell me that I am a big reason for their regular visits, along with the superb wines).

Playing to ones audience and understanding one's role in the gig is a recipe for keeping the gig and earning a living as a professional musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Are you suggesting the OP was the issue here?
    The main problem was a room full of people expecting karaoke, but... they did clear a room full of people in 3 songs, which were slow ballads, played to a room of people ready to party.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    The main problem was a room full of people expecting karaoke, but... they did clear a room full of people in 3 songs, which were slow ballads, played to a room of people ready to party.
    Ain't no solo jazz guitarist gonna make people party

This is clearly the issue of the person who does the booking. It's not the OP's fault that he wasn't suddenly ready to turn his cocktail music into a karaoke party. I mean, he said it's his "regular gig."

Now, if you show up for that regular gig and the karaoke guy is there too, that's just a shitty way of finding out you got fired. Since there was no karaoke guy, this sounds like a human booking error.

User Info Menu

This is clearly the issue of the person who does the booking. It's not the OP's fault that he wasn't suddenly ready to turn his cocktail music into a karaoke party. I mean, he said it's his "regular gig."

Now, if you show up for that regular gig and the karaoke guy is there too, that's just a shitty way of finding out you got fired. Since there was no karaoke guy, this sounds like a human booking error.
    You're right all down the line, I just think starting with a cliche standard might have made a bad situation better.

User Info Menu

I gotta be honest, here. If it were me, I'd have hit them with New York, New York before reverting to type. They might have loved it and asked for more tunes to sing along with. I've been on worse gigs. Be mindful of the words of the great sage Elwood Blues:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I gotta be honest, here. If it were me, I'd have hit them with New York, New York before reverting to type.

My guess is most folks wouldn't even recognize the tune without the exact intro they're expecting...

User Info Menu

Yeah just because you're a jazz musician doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to bust out tunes with higher energy. Not saying you can't. Just it's something one would be expected to be able to adapt to. Chilled out jazz is really cool for a hotel environment where people are just chit chatting. However I'd think that any working musician should be comfortable playing to somewhat of a party environment too. It's part of being a musician. It's something that I personally would work up to even if I were playing solo - being able to entertain at different energy levels.

User Info Menu

A looper helps for variety..

I've actually played a gig in a place called Hell years back, i think it was a bar.. had this photo on my Instagram

Hotel Gig in Hell-hell-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I've actually played a gig in a place called Hell years back, i think it was a bar.. had this photo on my Instagram

Hotel Gig in Hell-hell-png
    We played there a few times. It’s that hot little place at the end of the road that’s paved with good intentions

User Info Menu

I'm only being a bit of a smartass but maybe you could have sprinkled in some Karaoke?

I see a chance for some comedy / performance art / social engineering.

Come out play a straight-up standard with much reverence etc. - start into a 2nd number....... and as it becomes apparent a few people are leaving bust out your good-time Karaoke persona, "Hey folks I bet you thought I was a jazz guitarist! Nah, just funnin' ya, let's get this party started!" Then go into the dumb Karaoke that people love.

But, here's the thing, Maybe sprinkle in a few light guitar tunes that they'll recognize.

Or not.
    There is something cathartic and "jazz" about clearing a room.
    Last edited by ChazFromCali; 02-01-2023 at 08:48 PM.

User Info Menu

From your description of the punters maybe their leaving wasn’t the worst outcome…