The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My wife and I did a little cabaret type thing for a senior home. (wife is a fabulous song and dance Broadway type musician) I was griping while we were practicing this week, but it ended up being very rewarding. The residents were extremely appreciative and complimenting, cheering and applauding. Mostly musical standards and holiday stuff. It made me feel really good to make their day. Lots of walkers and wheelchairs. I felt like we did another good deed this week during the weather disaster.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have worked as a psychologist in nursing homes for 32 years and I can tell you that the residents love having people come in and play music for them. The transportive power of music always amazes me. You play those songs, and for a little bit they're no longer 80 years old with a walker and a bad hip; they're 20 years old dancing with their honeys again. Thank you for taking the music to them!

User Info Menu

I did care homes for a while in a duo.

I got my first solo gig to play solo guitar at the reception of a wedding so the nursing home was great practise for the solo gig.

I can't remember how many times I played solo guitar there but it was a lot

Good memories and lovely people.

User Info Menu

I used to play with a group that played weekly gigs at nursing homes. I learned a lot in that group. No set list, no practice, just show up and play whatever was called, often by the audience. If I didn't know a song, it was no big deal, as long as I didn't cause a loud train wreck, and I knew better. The residents loved us, and begged us to come back the next week, even though another facility was in the rotation. Most of the players were in their 70s or older. One night a week we all got together at someone's home and played. They said "On Wednesday nights we have to play what the old folks want to hear. On Thursdays we play what we want to play". Thursday nights taught me much more, because lots of stuff got called, and I hung on as well as I could, but learned lots of tunes. Playing at the nursing homes was fun, with the residents dancing in their wheelchairs and having a blast. That's gone now, with the guys I played with having passed, and now I'm as old as they were.

Love your post, and happy to hear that you had a lot of fun.
    I am sure the residents are happy to have you guys!!!
    Happy New Year!
    Rene

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Asologuitar
    Love your post, and happy to hear that you had a lot of fun.
    I am sure the residents are happy to have you guys!!!
    Happy New Year!
    Rene
    Thank you all for your compliments. My only problem was the gear setup. Enough power strip outlets, connections, etc. I'm going to streamline things for the next time with the two amps and all the right cables and pedals ready to just plug and play.