The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Not normally my fave night to play, however, my duo performed at a city sponsored Winter Festival again this year. A nice lady came up and asked if we could do cocktail hour at a local Country Club 5-8. Of course yes!
    For the Fest this year I opted to use my trusty 05 Eastman John Pisano 880. It's a fab instrument, a little easier on my shoulder after collarbone surgery, being 16" and around 2.75" depth.
    Cheers and Best Wishes for 2023!

NYE Gigs?-fest-22-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Got any recordings?

Oh yeah, however nothing I wish to share at the moment...I just did the post to see what gigs everybody had NYE.
    Last edited by SierraTango; 12-28-2022 at 03:58 PM. Reason: grammer

User Info Menu

ST, I had a NYE gig, but had to sub it out due to my having Covid (I am one of the last working musicians here in the Bay Area that has not gotten Covid, so I guess it was my turn). Paxlovid has kept me from any serious concerns. I have had so many gigs cancel this year because of the clients getting covid, it almost seems appropriate that it would be me doing the same.

The cat who got my NYE gig is thankful and I am thankful to still be here, gigging regularly and continuing to enjoy my wife (and family), my cats, my motorcycles and my guitars.

Happy New Years to all here who read this.

PS: I had 4 Covid shots and I was planning on getting a 5th (The Bivalent Booster) in a month. I regret waiting. The disease is no fun. Get vaxxed and boosted if you have not done so already. If you are over 50 and get Covid like I did, get Paxlovid. failure to follow this advice might mean that the rest of us will be posting an RIP about you at some point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    ST, I had a NYE gig, but had to sub it out due to my having Covid (I am one of the last working musicians here in the Bay Area that has not gotten Covid, so I guess it was my turn). Paxlovid has kept me from any serious concerns. I have had so many gigs cancel this year because of the clients getting covid, it almost seems appropriate that it would be me doing the same.

The cat who got my NYE gig is thankful and I am thankful to still be here, gigging regularly and continuing to enjoy my wife (and family), my cats, my motorcycles and my guitars.

PS: I had 4 Covid shots and I was planning on getting a 5th (The Bivalent Booster) in a month. I regret waiting. The disease is no fun. Get vaxxed and boosted if you have not done so already. If you are over 50 and get Covid like I did, get Paxlovid. failure to follow this advice might mean that the rest of us will be posting an RIP about you at some point.
    ouch, get better soon man!

User Info Menu

Yes, booked the same place I was booked last year but canceled due to weather. It's looking to be in the mid 70's during the day so hopefully it will be a busy night. Like Sierra, holidays are not my favorite time to gig, especially new years, as morons come out that normally would not and usually act more foolishly but a gig's a gig and it ain't far from home. Shoot, even better the gig ends by ten.

Have a good gig Sierra!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    Oh yeah, however nothing I wish to share at the moment...I just did the post to see what gigs everybody had NYE.
    I have a friend who plays trumpet and was wondering how a trumpet guitar duo would work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I have a friend who plays trumpet and was wondering how a trumpet guitar duo would work
    Last week I played a duo gig with a trumpeter, on double-bass with some songs on guitar.
    It was a high point in a year full of musical joy and growth!
    I've done a bunch of duo gigs with guitar and horn -- saxophonists mostly. Once I could play a two-set duo gig without reading anymore I felt like I had actually gotten somewhere.

The number one point -- another lesson from Ed Fuqua -- is to play the music that's there, not with the imaginary band in your head.

As with free improv, once your audience knows they can rely on you to navigate them safely home, they will travel a long way with you to some strange places!
    It's a tremendous musical feeling.
    Have at it, Allan!

Very sad to hear this SS! So ironic we were having just about all our gigs cancelled due to Covid, and now it's the musician's turn!

The Winter Fest we played in the pictures was a huge goal for me due to my shoulder surgery. Certain positions aren't as easy to reach yet, so I had to come up with work arounds.

I've had a couple of gentle rides on my other Ducati, even though the Doc and wife discouraged it. Thing is, my Ducati 999S isn't exactly a relaxing type of ride. It's in it's happy place over 80 with knee down in the twisties. Might sell it and buy a less demanding machine.

Best Wishes for '23! Get better soon!

NYE Gigs?-christmas-t9-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen

AllanAllen,

I became intrigued by the trumpet and guitar sound when I worked with Donald Byrd back in the late 70's. I played on one of his records, although he was in the stylish fusion mode at that point, we did have several chances to play GAS materiel just the two of us.

I've been working with the pictured trumpet/fugel player for 12 years now. He's a gem-a band director and educator that is dynamic and tasteful. Many trumpet guys are trying to show how high they can play all the time, and it gets old quick. I think that is why guitar/sax duos are more popular.

We play with no pre-recorded tracks or drum machines or gizmos. There is no place to hide, and I like it that way. I do end up playing a lot of four on the floor rhythm stuff, but I really enjoy that too.

Here we are just messing around-one take no overdubs. Link at top of page. If you have a trumpet guy around, snag him and jam-it's a blast!

NYE Gigs?-ponderosa-jpg

User Info Menu

damn, 4 shots and still got it.....do you think the fifth would have made a diff? how sick are you on a scale of 1-10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango

AllanAllen,

I became intrigued by the trumpet and guitar sound when I worked with Donald Byrd back in the late 70's. I played on one of his records, although he was in the stylish fusion mode at that point, we did have several chances to play GAS materiel just the two of us.

I've been working with the pictured trumpet/fugel player for 12 years now. He's a gem-a band director and educator that is dynamic and tasteful. Many trumpet guys are trying to show how high they can play all the time, and it gets old quick. I think that is why guitar/sax duos are more popular.

We play with no pre-recorded tracks or drum machines or gizmos. There is no place to hide, and I like it that way. I do end up playing a lot of four on the floor rhythm stuff, but I really enjoy that too.

Here we are just messing around-one take no overdubs. Link at top of page. If you have a trumpet guy around, snag him and jam-it's a blast!

NYE Gigs?-ponderosa-jpg
    Thanks for this! We agreed on three songs to practice then we'll get together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    damn, 4 shots and still got it.....do you think the fifth would have made a diff? how sick are you on a scale of 1-10
    I am pretty sure the 5th shot would have made a difference. My drummer and his wife (a local jazz singer) both got their 4 shots around the same time I did. He got his 5th shot about a month ago. She was waiting to get her 5th shot like I was. She and I both got Covid and he did not.

I had very bad flu-like symptoms for 4 days and on day 5 decided to go on Paxlovid (available for free to all who are over 50 or have severe underlying conditions). On day 6, I was symptom free. I am hoping to test negative in a couple of days. I have already lost three gigs (about a grand in income) with this and am hoping to not lose any more.

Covid has been expensive, but at least I am alive to complain about it. I knew a couple of guys who died from it (both were unvaxxed).

User Info Menu

The only New Year's eve gig I have is to be the Deacon at 4pm Mass. Otherwise I am going to cook a steak, potatoes, and a glass of Sierra Neveda Celebration Ale. I probably for a couple of hours before all this play the guitar. I am working on playing along with Wes on West Coast Blues. Funny I seem to have gone back to Wes all these years and he never disappoints.

To me it is a great New Year's eve gig.

User Info Menu

I’ve got a new year’s gig tonight at the same place I played last new year. I got covid at that one, despite all the shots.
    This year I’ll be wearing my mask when I’m not singing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    The only New Year's eve gig I have is to be the Deacon at 4pm Mass. Otherwise I am going to cook a steak, potatoes, and a glass of Sierra Neveda Celebration Ale. I probably for a couple of hours before all this play the guitar. I am working on playing along with Wes on West Coast Blues. Funny I seem to have gone back to Wes all these years and he never disappoints.

To me it is a great New Year's eve gig.
    Mark I would say that is a more honorable and worthy New Year's gig than all of ours put together. Lord bless and happy new year!