The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 70

User Info Menu

I've always said that the most difficult music to play in Jazz is the ballad. A musician cannot hide behind a flurry of notes, poor articulation, or the lack of development of a lyrical theme. It requires the best a musician can muster. The great Jazz vocalist/keyboards, Shirley Horn said:
    \
    "Too many musicians rush through everything with too many notes. I need time to take the picture. A ballad should be a ballad.
    It's important to understand what the song is saying and learn how to tell the story. It takes time. I can't rush it. I really can't
    rush it." Shirley Horn

Here's Shirley playing her classic "Beautiful Love" with Toots Thieleman on Harmonica/Guitar. Feel free to comment and post those musicians you feel are great Ballad Masters.

And, Dexter's "I'm A Fool To Want You." Enjoy, Marinero

Last edited by Marinero; 11-07-2022 at 03:36 PM. Reason: addition

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bill Evans (piano)

Johnny Smith (guitar)

Tony
    Last edited by tbeltrans; 11-07-2022 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Not my first encounter with either of these guys but an album I've not tired of for more than fifty years.

From the same album, a bit more note-y but still lyrical:

User Info Menu

Wow, some great music so far! Here's my first musical idol--Chicago saxophonist Gene Ammons . . . one of the greatest tenor balladeers to play Jazz music. Gene like many of his contemporaries struggled with heroin addiction for most of his adult life. I was fortunate to hear him play live many times in my early life. My life was touched by your music, Gene. RIP.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Great taste in music Marinero.
    I transcribed this one some time ago. Such beautiful music.

User Info Menu

One of the best and surprisingly underappreciated…

User Info Menu

Well, after all of these years here, finally, I stumble upon my specialty. Ballads, not blazing pianistic runs, is what motivated me to learn piano 30 years ago.

Here's one of my favorite, which I just uploaded on my channel, because it wasn't on youtube!!! Ralph Moore, Renee Rosnes, playing "I'm Glad There Is You." This was from the early 90's. It got some airplay, but not nearly enough.

Great story telling, that's what makes a great ballad. Remember Dexter Gordon? Enough said.

Here's Ralph, complete with sax squeaks and all, delivering one of the finest ballads ever. Renee's comping and chordal mastery was/is like no other. Let me know what you think!

and here's Dex, with his live Night's at the Keystone in San Francisco recording with, You've Changed

User Info Menu

Another from my page that hadn't been uploaded - What's wrong with these people missing out on so much good music?

Here's Chico Freeman's, To Hear A Teardrop In The Rain. Talk about a ballad?

Okay, being the ballad freak that I am...Here's Lynne Arriale's, In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning...a beautiful piano trio!

and one of my all time favorite's. Dave Peck Trio with, She Was Too Good To Me...this one just melts my heart away every time...wait...and I haven't even gotten to Keith Jarrett yet!

User Info Menu

Les McCann, and his Magic Band. I originally uploaded this one 12 years ago to youtube, digitally transferred from an album that I've been carrying around since 1983. Then a few ago I found an rare CD on eBay that was created in 2015.

Here's, The Longer You Wait. The vocals and Bobby Bryant's soprano work are superb.

User Info Menu

And speaking of Shirley. She laid a foundation with an Intro that perfectly fit the tune, and then brought in the band right on the beat. I transcribed this year's ago, and to this day I still enjoy playing it. Talk about milking a ballad. Yeah, a soulful Jobim y'all...

User Info Menu

Wow, I can't believe all the great music in such little time! Great ballad playing is not intellectual . . . it is visceral. And, for the listener, it is always a profound experience since it floods the brain with a slurry of emotions. Ralph Moore was a surprise for me since I have never heard his playing before and it's nothing short of moving. I hope others will provide more examples of this great music. So, here's early Coltrane with Johnny Hartman. Enjoy!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

We can’t praise Bill Evans without his better half. I bought the original vinyl (Undercurrent) when it came out and it’s been an inspiration since the first needle drop….

User Info Menu

Written by Tony Williams -

This is one of my favourites -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Les McCann, and his Magic Band. I originally uploaded this one 12 years ago to youtube, digitally transferred from an album that I've been carrying around since 1983. Then a few ago I found an rare CD on eBay that was created in 2015.

Here's, The Longer You Wait. The vocals and Bobby Bryant's soprano work are superb.

Man, I loved that! And the soulful David T. Walker's bluesy guitar fills never get in the way. They add a touch of color to the track.

User Info Menu

The Nancy Wilson version I grew up listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlS8Nxm-Cjk

and then there’s Samara Joy’s version

AKA
    Last edited by AKA; 11-10-2022 at 11:52 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Jimmy Smith

My teacher mofos.

T Monk

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    We can’t praise Bill Evans without his better half.
    Bill's better half?! Jim playing lil 1 note counters while Bill is whipping up an orchestra is the better half?! Heh. Yeah that album is really incredible.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 11-11-2022 at 03:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    The Nancy Wilson version I grew up listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlS8Nxm-Cjk

and then there’s Samara Joy’s version

AKA
    Beautiful, AKA,
    Samara reminds me of Sarah Vaughan.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Wow . . . these ballads, so far, would make a great CD! Here's two of my early tenor idols who brought Jazz saxophone into the homes of everyone who loved music. Notice the fat, guttural "subtones" so rarely heard today by modern players. RIP, brothers . . . you were a great influence on my tenor playing.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I last saw Zoot live in Miami in 1977 at the Airport Lounge. Miami had a loyal Jazz crowd but the place was packed with tenor men. Zoot was playing professionally in his teens as many savants. Here's the Ellington Classic "In a Sentimental Mood" with some very interesting commentary by Zoot. His tenor sound was unique and he could make his horn scream, wail, be well-mannered, and in this case . . . speak from his heart. Where have all the flowers gone . . .
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Stan Getz, Kenny Barron, People Time

User Info Menu

Trane, I Want To Talk About You

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Stan Getz, Kenny Barron, People Time

I really like piano and sax alone for ballads. That's a nice one.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 11-11-2022 at 10:34 PM.