The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

The great Oscar Peterson, When Summer Comes. Check out the guitar player.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From Japan, in the late 80’s, the Keith Jarrett Trio, Blame it on my youth.

User Info Menu

The Keith Jarrett trio, with Paul Motion, and Gary Peacock, on a supreme ballad, It’s Easy To Remember

User Info Menu

Perhaps we should consider electing "2b" JGF's music archivist. You must have an amazing collection! So, here's one for the books--- the soulful Sonny Criss with an Allstar crew playing "Memories of You." Enjoy
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Perhaps we should consider electing "2b" JGF's music archivist. You must have an amazing collection! So, here's one for the books--- the soulful Sonny Criss with an Allstar crew playing "Memories of You." Enjoy
    Marinero

Hi Marinero! There’s so much great music out there! However I disqualify myself from being nominated from such a position because I’ve such a small collection of new music. Most of my material is from ‘53 to ‘67, and from that period there’s a lifetime of music to discover.

User Info Menu

So, during my morning listening session, this wonderful ballad was sung by the inimitable Nancy Wilson and some tasty guitar work by Gene Bertoncini. We must listen to the vocalists if we want our music to sing. Enjoy . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

And, did we forget about Etta Jones???
    Marinero

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Hi, J,
    I know you are a film buff. Did you enjoy the 1957 film?
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson

Not my first encounter with either of these guys but an album I've not tired of for more than fifty years.

From the same album, a bit more note-y but still lyrical:

It is interesting, that Grappelli demonstrates what exactly OP's quote talks about. ("Too many...". Thinking about Bill Evans, the best I can say, it is totally inappropriate what Is happening.

I am aware, the arguing about taste makes no sense, However because the OP is particulary about what differentiates a ballad solo, it makes sense to analyze that Grappelli is an example of missing the OP point.

User Info Menu

"However because the OP is particulary about what differentiates a ballad solo, it makes sense to analyze that Grappelli is an example of missing the OP point." Gabor

Hi, G,
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not 100% certain what you meant by the above quote but for clarity did you mean that Grappelli's improvisational speed in the above music contradicts Shirly Horn's quote(not mine) in my original post? If so, I would say that there are many musical personalities in the Jazz world and many interpretations of "What is a Ballad." It doesn't make any performance "right or wrong" but it does detail how a musician perceives the musical form. Grappelli like Parker was known for his speed. It was part of his musical legacy and musicians of this ilk displayed their prowess as part of their musical personality. It does not dismiss their creativity or taste but rather defines their take on the genre. I like Grappelli. I like Parker. However, if I'm in the mood for a ballad, they won't be on my playlist. So, I like potato vodka, strong/complex cigars, and hearty Bordeaux's . . . isn't it great we all don't think the same . . . Thanks again for your honest reply.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Yes I meant that way.

I strongly agree with the approach to be melodic and do not throw canned runs. I also felt that bluesy riffs break the mood in Blue in Green.
    It is different to have speed in Cherokee and Blue in Green. Practically I listened that as an antithesis demonstration "Art of Ballad"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Yes I meant that way.

I strongly agree with the approach to be melodic and do not throw canned runs. I also felt that bluesy riffs break the mood in Blue in Green.
    It is different to have speed in Cherokee and Blue in Green. Practically I listened that as an antithesis demonstration "Art of Ballad"

Thus Spake Zarathustra . . .
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Freddie Hubbard, I Remember Clifford

User Info Menu

Freddie Hubbard, a CTI classic, Lonely Town

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 12-05-2022 at 12:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Freddie Hubbard, Yesterday’s Thoughts

& Moment to Moment

User Info Menu

Dexter Gordon, remastered, Darn That Dream

User Info Menu

And one of the kewlest ballads ever recorded, from Round Midnight, Body and Soul, with the great John McLaughlin on guitar, before he went crazy…

User Info Menu

Miles, Round Midnight

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    The great Oscar Peterson, When Summer Comes. Check out the guitar player.
    With the greatest, most lyrical / melodic Bass Player of all times NHOP(Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen)!!!

Thx for posting

S