The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 70

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It begins as a ballad, with the interplay between Jim Hall and Ron Carter. Carter’s play of continuous 16th notes maintaining a steady rhythm for endless minutes at the beginning and ending of this tune is nothing less than amazing. All without a hint of fatigue.

Well, in the end, what Hall, Desmond, Baker, Carter, laid down was nothing short of 19 plus minutes of pure joy.

I recently purchased this album on 180 gram vinyl. I had to acquire it from Poland to get it. But the music, recorded in the middle 70’s, is nothing short of timeless.

User Info Menu

Miles Davis, Old Folks

User Info Menu

Dexter at ‘41, 1964 in Belgium. The video is updated, audio fully restored, colorized to 4k resolution. Amazing job!

Body and Soul, with his usual quoting of “Chestnut’s roasting on an open fire” at the end.

User Info Menu

Well, to say that I'm pleased with the great ballads so far would be an understatement. There are many old memories here as well as some songs I've missed along the way. This has proven to be a rich source of some beautiful music! So, in the early 80's, my brother returned to Chicago after receiving his PhD in Literature and was teaching part-time at Loyola University. Pepper Adams was playing at the Jazz Showcase at the Blackstone Hotel and I invited him to go for the Sunday afternoon show. We had front-row seats thanks to Wayne Segal(Joe's son) and the room was packed. Pepper was a diminutive man and when he stepped on the stage with his baritone sax, he looked more like a civil engineer than a Jazz musician. . . hardly the perception of a hip Jazzer. My brother, who had not heard him play, snickered at me as if to say "This guy plays Jazz?" I waited and when Pepper started to play that silly comment must have really stuck in his mouth. So, here's Pepper with an original composition "Lovers of their Time." I hope you enjoy.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Wow W,
    This floods back many memories with this organ style which was heard in many small clubs around Chicago when I was growing up in the 50's-70's. Could he have been the guy playing with Sonny Stitt in the early 70's in Chicago? There was a club in Chi called the Hungry Eye in Old Town and I think I saw him there in '72.'73?
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Wow W,
    This floods back many memories with this organ style which was heard in many small clubs around Chicago when I was growing up in the 50's-70's. Could he have been the guy playing with Sonny Stitt in the early 70's in Chicago? There was a club in Chi called the Hungry Eye in Old Town and I think I saw him there in '72.'73?
    Marinero
    Most likely M, Patterson and drummer Billy James were w Stitt throughout the 60s into the 70s. My organ trio still plays in this style today.

User Info Menu

Well, as long as you asked . . . No . . . I just don't listen to Saxers. So, here's a lyrical, provocative, lush rendering of "Old Folks" written by Hill and Robison and sung beautifully by Kenny Burrell through his guitar.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

That was great, Marinero, I hadn't heard it before

User Info Menu

No matter what you think, Jazz is in good hands.

Chad LB Quartet with, My One And Only Love

User Info Menu

And the great Vincent Herring with, My Foolish Heart

User Info Menu

Two greats, just having fun. Ahmad Jamal and George Coleman, MFH.

User Info Menu

A tribute to the great Tadd Dameron, featuring Jimmy Heath and friends, with Tadd’s, If You Could See Me Now

User Info Menu

Chase The Clouds Away, featuring Chuck Mangione’s Orchestra and the late great Gerry Niewood on piccolo and flutes . 1978 - Live At The Hollywood Bowl

User Info Menu

Here's the forgotten baritone saxer, Serge Chaloff . . . another young lion lost in his youth. Notice the use of subtones which add great emotional depth to this classic performance.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Here's the forgotten baritone saxer, Serge Chaloff . . . another young lion lost in his youth. Notice the use of subtones which add great emotional depth to this classic performance.
    Marinero

My favorite, the Bird of the Bari.

User Info Menu

One of the greatest albums of ballads ever recorded:

Where Is Love? - YouTube

User Info Menu

So, another guitarist . . . surprised? Here's Kenny Burrell with his take on the classic "My One and Only Love." Kenny has a fat, lush sound with a wonderful melodic sense and great pacing. He is a master storyteller. Enjoy . . .
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson (Hannover) (1972)
    Forward to about 15:30 or so for the start of "I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good"

Oh my...Ben

User Info Menu

One of my favorite ballads, by the great Charles Lloyd, Rabo de Nube

User Info Menu

Interesting personnel on this session. Really pretty but sort of odd sounding interplay between Bill, Kenny Burrell, and Ray Brown.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    One of my favorite ballads, by the great Charles Lloyd, Rabo de Nube

Hi, 2B,
    The last time I saw Charles live was in a battle of the tenors with James Moody at Chicago's Jazz Showcase in the 70's. Charles was a young man sporting a huge Afro and wearing a Dashiki. He held his saxophone like a flutist . . . even more exaggerated than in this video . . . perhaps, just old age. The stylistic difference couldn't have been sharper with the bold, brash, and creative sax mechanic in James Moody and the cool, East Coast sound of Lloyd. It was a study of styles and an enjoyable evening for a young inspired tenor devotee. We need to listen to these people because they can enrich our lives with their era of creative musicianship and their soul-inspired music. Thanks for the memories.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Interesting personnel on this session. Really pretty but sort of odd sounding interplay between Bill, Kenny Burrell, and Ray Brown.

Hi, J,
    This is what I call "Art Music." The interplay among the musicians is what we Chicago musicians called "talking" and it was especially apparent in the interplay among Evans, Burrell, and Brown at the beginning of the piece. This music is unique. It is not happening today.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, 2B,
    The last time I saw Charles live was in a battle of the tenors with James Moody at Chicago's Jazz Showcase in the 70's. Charles was a young man sporting a huge Afro and wearing a Dashiki. He held his saxophone like a flutist . . . even more exaggerated than in this video . . . perhaps, just old age. The stylistic difference couldn't have been sharper with the bold, brash, and creative sax mechanic in James Moody and the cool, East Coast sound of Lloyd. It was a study of styles and an enjoyable evening for a young inspired tenor devotee. We need to listen to these people because they can enrich our lives with their era of creative musicianship and their soul-inspired music. Thanks for the memories.
    Marinero
    Hey Marinero! You’ve been blessed, as I’ve never seen Lloyd in Seattle yet always looked for him. But he gets so much work in Europe and the East coast I understand it. Especially now since he’s got limited engagements since he’s older. I also love the fact that for a long time that he’s been a vessel for younger musicians to gain some experience. I’ve got a cd version of his recording of Rabo de Nube recorded 10 years ago in Italy, that’s almost 3 minutes longer than this version. It’s the best version I’ve heard anywhere. But it’s not on YouTube because of copyright’s. Bless Charles Lloyd for the decades of great music he’s brought us, and yet he’s still performing. And you’re welcome!