The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Where are people finding other musicians to work with these days? 30 years ago, it was the back pages of the local ‘alternative’ weekly paper. 10 years ago, it was Craigslist. But the ads on Craigslist seem sparse and stale. Is there something new I haven’t heard of yet?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A few years ago I had some good luck using Bandmix.com to find a singer. I still check it occasionally but tend to see the same people over and over in my local area.

User Info Menu

I wish I knew the answer to that. Sadly, I don't.

User Info Menu

Archer Steet

Finding other musicians?-archer-street-jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images Finding other musicians?-archer-street-2-jpeg 

User Info Menu

I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto.

User Info Menu

Depending on the locale and genre, jam sessions and open mics might be an option to meet other musicians. I have been participating regularly at weekly blues, bossa, funk, jazz sessions for several years where I live.

Though I’m not interested in joining a formal group, I have met and played with many of the local or regional musicians, pros and hobbyists alike. I noticed that when a new player joins, and after several months stops coming, they joined or formed bands, trios, duos, with other jam session participants. I’ve been invited to sit in on a few gigs of friends and have done several one-off solo/duo shows.

I also noticed that the director of a regional big band pops in once in a while to recruit new players. And sometimes players hook up at jam sessions to rent a studio and practice together regularly.

Though I’m happy just to participate at these informal jam sessions and not interested in joining a steady group, there have certainly been opportunities to meet and play with other musicians. Might work for you.