The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

I've a 2 hour solo fingerstyle guitar gig in 45 minutes and typically take a 10 minute break in the middle with 5 minutes in each hour so 2 x 55 min sets.

How long are your solo guitar breaks for a 2 hour gig?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    I've a 2 hour solo fingerstyle guitar gig in 45 minutes and typically take a 10 minute break in the middle with 5 minutes in each hour so 2 x 55 min sets.

How long are your solo guitar breaks for a 2 hour gig?
    Hi, L,
    For the last 30-plus years, my schedule has been the same: play 45 minutes/break 15 minutes. However, I've done exclusively Classical Guitar gigs where hand fatigue/injury is common from overplaying and I won't break that rule and it is discussed with the venue before I confirm a booking. Also, unlike pop music/Jazz, I never do three sets--only two. About 12 years ago, I was preparing for a gig at a very exclusive wine festival and there was a real possibility for more very well paid bookings after the event. The last 10 days before the gig, I began playing 4 hours a day and suffered some nerve damage in my "a" finger left hand three days before the gig. I never touched the guitar until the gig and the gods of Music were kind and I never had a twinge during my performance. The only reason I mention this is because, for me, there is a real reason for this practice, and the more ambitious(complicated) the material, the greater the chance for a problem. I hope this helps you.
    Marinero

P.S. So, yesterday while working on my boat, I slammed a 14" pipe wrench into my LH thumb destroying my CG nail, and, possibly, might lose it. How'd you like that just before a CG gig? I guess I'll be playing the Gibson every day for the next few weeks!
    M

User Info Menu

That's a big break M and you finish 15 minutes earlier too?

This gig was 11am-1pm. No breaks discussed so I think 10 minutes is fair. Let's see what other's say.

I'm with you re hand pain. I usually play gigs etc over the summer so at the start of last summer when I finished teaching I got a few gigs and was also doing 4-5 hours per day practice/busking/gigs.

My hands weren't ready for it and I felt it a lot so I didn't play seriously after that for most of the summer

Practise for me is generally focusing on my repertoire but also, especially over the coming winter, exploration and lots of writing. For exploration I Use Mick Goodrick's Almanacs and there are some serious stretches there but I am very mindful of them and if I think they are too much I don't play them.

I must play more CG too. I did Lagrima and Vivaldi's Largo today plus some original classical music. It's such a nice contrast to jazz tunes and they can merge into each other very well.

User Info Menu

Hi, L,
    Playing both Jazz and Classical Music will contribute to overall musicianship despite the reality that a musician might be better at one genre than the other. My biggest criticism of most Jazzers today is that the melody seems incidental to their improvisations. Nothing could be further from the truth and emphasis on melody is one of the first things taught to beginning CG students---especially when moving from linear to polyphonic music. But, back to playing . . . that's a tough gig and remember, the guy that hired you probably knows nothing about music or musicians. Take care if you're looking to play on a regular basis since that schedule will eventually lead to disaster. . . much like pipe wrenches and thumbs.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    I must play more CG too. I did Lagrima and Vivaldi's Largo today plus some original classical music. It's such a nice contrast to jazz tunes and they can merge into each other very well.
    Gene Bertoncini often arranges a classical piece leading into a jazz song as a two-section suite. I think it works very well; he sometimes ties the jazz song to the classical composition from which melody/harmony was borrowed. And he is not avoidant of very modern sounds with this approach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Gene Bertoncini often arranges a classical piece leading into a jazz song as a two-section suite. I think it works very well; he sometimes ties the jazz song to the classical composition from which melody/harmony was borrowed. And he is not avoidant of very modern sounds with this approach.
    Thank you for this. This is what I do

Do you have any examples of Gene doing this ?

User Info Menu

I thought there was more of this on YouTube, but apparently not as much as I remembered. His CDs "Body and Soul," "Quiet Now," "Jobim/Someone to Light Up My Life" all have some of this. I studied with him at a jazz camp for three different years, and he covered some of it then.

User Info Menu

Thank you, Cunamara for the wonderful music of Gene. He has a personal voice and sound and is what I call an "organic" player. We are in danger of losing this intimate form of music to the hordes of pre-programmed "Music Machines" that define themselves as musicians. Five Stars!
    Marinero