The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Last night at the Albany Club, Coventry, the Ant Law Quintet played a gig that should have happened in 2020. The bassist and drummer were unknown to me and I have been unable to find out their names via a search engine but I do remember that they both had Dave as a first name. Otherwise it was Ivo Neame on electronic keyboard and Mike Chillingworth on alto sax. I was surprised to see Neame on electronic keyboard, but pleased because I like its sound and gave the band's sound quite a distinctive fusion-esque flavour. Aside from one contrafact called 'Tbilisi' (can you figure out what tune that might be based on?) the band played exclusively new original compositions, and it was very interesting hearing how Law's music has evolved since the last record; I detect greater influences of rock, funk and blues, and it seemed like a single tune might slip effortlessly between funky unison-riffing (the electronic keyboard being particularly effective in this department) and colourful strange chord changes. Some nifty time-signature changes too. Law is still pushing forward harmonically and melodically and I'm certain some of his ideas in these areas are rather less than well-documented - I don't know, perhaps you could find some of them in Slonimsky's Thesaurus. And he's a great soloist who wears his deep and wide vocabulary lightly, coolly and judiciously; he switched between a clean and a warm, distorted tone as the tune would take him, and this was just one aspect of the tasteful straddling of different subgenres of jazz (you could say) from this gig. It was a great night and I very much look forward to his new record.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi James,

Ant writes that it was Dave Mannington on bass and Dave Hamblett on drums.
    Both are great players. I don't know Dave Mannington personally but Dave Hamblett plays drums with a few friend's projects. Check him out on the two albums by Alex Munk's band Flying Machines (fusion/prog vibes) and Nick Costley-White's album 'Detour Ahead' (acoustic modern jazz with a couple of standards). Both of those bands feature the same rhythm section of pianist Matt Robinson, bassist Conor Chaplin and Dave Hamblett.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Hi James,

Ant writes that it was Dave Mannington on bass and Dave Hamblett on drums.
    Both are great players. I don't know Dave Mannington personally but Dave Hamblett plays drums with a few friend's projects. Check him out on the two albums by Alex Munk's band Flying Machines (fusion/prog vibes) and Nick Costley-White's album 'Detour Ahead' (acoustic modern jazz with a couple of standards). Both of those bands feature the same rhythm section of pianist Matt Robinson, bassist Conor Chaplin and Dave Hamblett.
    Thanks, David!