The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by a22
    I heard that orange juice actually has measurably calming effect, doesn't hurt to try ^^
    I heard the same thing about grain alcohol.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not saying this to be off color.....but a physical release of a sexual nature is very calming physically and mentally. It gives a sense of security and peace. Taking a nap/meditation in the green room, your car, ect. for the 15 mins before go time is also quite useful as well. I don't recommend doing either on stage though.....that is a little too relaxed in my opinion. If you do yoga or any gentle exercise it can release endorphins, help regulate breathing and help with focus. I'm the opposite when it comes to stage fright, the bigger the audience the bigger ham I become. The more of them there are the more they kind of blend together into one giant mass.

User Info Menu

I've always suffered from stage fright, but fortunately it's never stopped me from going on stage and making a complete fool of myself.

User Info Menu

I remember Mick Goodrick giving a talk on stagefright on at one of his seminars. The condensed version is: Rather than try to change how you feel, change your attitude about how you feel. In other words, try to look at your 'nervousness' as a change in energy that you can channel into your playing, rather than something you need to get over.

User Info Menu

For me the only answer was drugs -- propranolol, to be specific, a beta-blocker. This is why: in some people the act of performing brings on the "flight or fight" response. It happens subconsciously, there's no use trying to talk yourself out of it, and it has nothing to do with preparation.

The physiological response is that your muscles harden and you can barely do any fine motor movements at all.

The only solution was to block the chemicals causing the physical reaction -- voila! I can play!

I would love to skip the pill because it does have some side effects. The one psychological thing that has helped me some, since I play with other people, is to think of the evening as "sharing the music and experiencing what the other people play". But the pill is 90% of it for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzinNY
    For me the only answer was drugs -- propranolol, to be specific, a beta-blocker. This is why: in some people the act of performing brings on the "flight or fight" response. It happens subconsciously, there's no use trying to talk yourself out of it, and it has nothing to do with preparation.

The physiological response is that your muscles harden and you can barely do any fine motor movements at all.

The only solution was to block the chemicals causing the physical reaction -- voila! I can play!

I would love to skip the pill because it does have some side effects. The one psychological thing that has helped me some, since I play with other people, is to think of the evening as "sharing the music and experiencing what the other people play". But the pill is 90% of it for me.
    You sound similar to me.
    I've played all over the world, from clubs to the European summer festivals.
    Every gig was torture because I was unable to stop the nerves. Really just paralysed with fear.
    I never got over it and was glad to never tour again.
    I can't play in front of my life long friends. Not even in front of my guitar tech.

But I want to play again and I'm going to see my doctor about Beta blockers.

What were the side effects if you don't mind sharing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    You sound similar to me.
    I've played all over the world, from clubs to the European summer festivals.
    Every gig was torture because I was unable to stop the nerves. Really just paralysed with fear.
    I never got over it and was glad to never tour again.
    I can't play in front of my life long friends. Not even in front of my guitar tech.

But I want to play again and I'm going to see my doctor about Beta blockers.

What were the side effects if you don't mind sharing?
    With all that experience you'd think you'd be the last one to get nervous. How about hypnosis or seeing a psychologist? I don't think drugs are the long term answer. You obviously love music and want to participate in it.

I always get a little nervous but as long as I'm with a group I figure if they are willing to do it, so am I. I just try and play well within my ability and focus on the music. I've experienced a few of those "what's the worse thing that could happen?" situations, and it wasn't so bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kofblz
    With all that experience you'd think you'd be the last one to get nervous. How about hypnosis or seeing a psychologist? I don't think drugs are the long term answer. You obviously love music and want to participate in it.

I always get a little nervous but as long as I'm with a group I figure if they are willing to do it, so am I. I just try and play well within my ability and focus on the music. I've experienced a few of those "what's the worse thing that could happen?" situations, and it wasn't so bad.
    Yes those solutions are on my list. On the advice of one the list members I am also booking a Public Speaking course.
    I am not as bad when I do song writing clinics but I'm still very uncomfortable and I routinely completely forget my own songs when trying to demonstrate them. I mean your mind just goes blank. You forget the most basic things.
    But I'm going to beat it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    But I'm going to beat it.
    Just don't let it beat you.

I took a swing fiddle workshop about 10 years ago. One of the teachers was a real legend, just an iconic name in the field, and he was so nervous I thought he would've crawled into his case if he could. It happens to players of all abilities.

User Info Menu

Lots of good advice above. I empathize. Getting out there and doing it as much as possible is the only thing that has really helped me. Relax, play within yourself. If in the beginning you know that you will be playing things you do well, that might help your comfort level and then confidence can grow over time.

User Info Menu

Side effects can include sleep disturbance, and some other things I forget. I was on them daily, years ago, for blood pressure, but my pressure normalized; now I only take a pill on a performance day, preferably about an hour before.

User Info Menu

One thing I've done is try to set up the gig and play it at home as best you can. If you are standing at the gig, stand at home. If you are loud at the gig, play loud at home. Same gear, same instruments, etc. Match the ergonomics and the sonics as best you can, because these things can often set off a case of the nerves that is easy to blame on an audience. Also know your tunes inside and out.

I play five services every weekend for 1000+ each service at my church and it's done wonders for my stage fright, especially getting up there and leading worship for 2 1/2 years. In the studio I'm often winging it with two sensitive mics on me and a booth full of producers, engineers and artists. They can hear the hair in my nose grow in that sitch. But I'm rarely nervous because they are paying me to be a pro, so I rise to occasion (usually).