The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 144

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    CCTV: they claim it's only for security.
    Security as opposed to what?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Good question. The email wasn’t entirely clear, but I gather it will be for all the musicians. They’re definitely making an exception, but the justification seems to be that we won’t be working directly with the students.
    Thus no 'requirement' was bypassed. Good to see that you can play. Have fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You want to do all those things at work? I don't. And I certainly don't consider it 'my right' to do them if I want! Except maybe the odd risqué joke or telling someone I know well that I like their dress or something. Why not? Depends how you say it.

Having said that, I've seen most of those things done by others frequently...

If they want to live in that kind of environment, good luck to them. They create it, they can suffer it. Mind you, a lot of those things on your list are fairly obnoxious. And those who consider it their 'right' to do them if they want are definitely skewed.
    I doubt he has ever even worked for a corporation in the USA. Anyhow, few of those were 'rights' granted by previous governments.

They are instead company polices that the vast majority of USA corporations have adopted. Also in most companies one is not fired for doing most of those things. I.e. if someone does complain the first time or two the offender is given a warning.

This is just over-the-top fear mongering by men that can't get a date.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal;[URL="tel:1196057"
    1196057[/URL]]Thus no 'requirement' was bypassed. Good to see that you can play. Have fun.
    Playing is better than squabbling.

User Info Menu

In the workplace:
    1. cannot compliment a woman on what she's wearing

Sure you can. But don't be a creep. "I love those earrings" is fine, if you love those earrings. "I love the way you look in that dress" is creepy and weird.

2. cannot touch a woman ever-- even inoffensively

Why am I touching anyone I work with, outside of a handshake?

3. cannot tell jokes that ANYONE could consider offensive

It's work.

4. cannot yell at co-workers in anger

Praise in public, criticize in private. Yelling at people while others are around reflects poorly on your management skills.

5. refer to a person by their race ie.) the Black girl that works in "Editing."

People have names.

6. asking a woman if she's pregnant

That's never been a good idea.

7. yelling at an employee in front of other workers

Already mentioned

8. joking or making reference to someone's age, height, weight, hair color, etc.

Again, this was never a good idea.

9. standing too close to a person

Again, why?

10. casually asking someone about their personal life

Sure you can: What are you doing with the three day weekend? Do your kids play baseball? I'm stuck for ideas, what did you get your wife for Mother's Day?
    Just not: "How long have you and your boyfriend been together? Is it serious?" because again, that's creepy.

11. negatively challenging every remark a person makes

If you feel the need to negatively challenge EVERY remark a person makes, clearly you have a personal issue with them that you either need to work out or take to HR so you're not required to work with them on important stuff.

12. talk/argue about politics

Again, this is WORK. When has that ever been a good idea?

13. express hatred/dislike for a boss or fellow employee to another person etc, etc.

Sure you can, if you trust the person. Backstabbing in the workplace isn't an invention of 2022.

User Info Menu

Sheez… I regret having set in motion all this political debate and vitriol. I hope I didn’t violate any forum rules in the course of all this, but if the moderators want to delete this thread I wouldn’t squawk about it.

Have a great day everyone. All’s well that ends well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal

This is just over-the-top fear mongering by men that can't get a date.
    :-)

User Info Menu

You want to do all those things at work?
    I don't think that's the question (and M's post had a "whether right or wrong" disclaimer in it). However, suggesting that people who complain about new rules might be those against whom those new rules supposedly protect is nothing but bullying IMHO, and an age-old weapon in making sure said rules get accepted.

"I've got nothing to hide, so by all means, let my government track my every step and action". Nope, doesn't work that way.

Reminds me, I think someone tried to imply that I might be "pro-life", so against abortion. I actually don't care if someone things that, but the opposite is true (does "pro-death" exist?).

User Info Menu

Anyone over 50 who lives in the USA (particularly here in California) who doesn't think we have lost many freedoms over the last 50 years simply hasn't been paying attention or doesn't care (and not caring is the real reason these freedoms have been lost).

User Info Menu

Sheez… I regret having set in motion all this political debate and vitriol. I hope I didn’t violate any forum rules in the course of all this, but if the moderators want to delete this thread I wouldn’t squawk about it.

There's no vitriol. We're having fun. No squawking in the workplace.

or running in the corridors,
    pulling little girl's pigtails,
    arguing with policemen,
    or calling Donald Trump a dork

unless you really want to. Which I do

User Info Menu

Reminds me, I think someone tried to imply that I might be "pro-life", so against abortion. I actually don't care if someone things that, but the opposite is true (does "pro-death" exist?).
    I am pro-death. I have no problem with the death penalty (so long as it is applied fairly) and abortion on demand. IMO, there are too many humans on the planet and overpopulation is the root cause of most of our problems (war, climate change etc.).

User Info Menu

I don't think that's the question (and M's post had a "whether right or wrong" disclaimer in it). However, suggesting that people who complain about new rules might be those against whom those new rules supposedly protect is nothing but bullying IMHO, and an age-old weapon in making sure said rules get accepted.

"I've got nothing to hide, so by all means, let my government track my every step and action". Nope, doesn't work that way.

Oh, I'm all for pro-death :-)

User Info Menu

I don't think I've ever had to assert my 'rights'. Except once.

I was looking for a new pair of shoes and saw some in a shop. So I asked them to put them aside for me. They asked me for a deposit, which I gave them.

Unfortunately, down the street, I found just the pair I wanted, and bought them. So I went back to the first shop, apologised profusely, and asked for my deposit back.

They refused. Completely.

Well, it doesn't take a genius to see what's wrong with that so I beetled off to the public library, looked up my consumer rights and printed out the relevant bit. Went back to the shop and waved it at them.

The guy looked angry but handed back the deposit. Job done.

So rights are good, and appropriate assertion of rights is good. It's what they're for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Anyone over 50 who lives in the USA (particularly here in California) who doesn't think we have lost many freedoms over the last 50 years simply hasn't been paying attention or doesn't care (and not caring is the real reason these freedoms have been lost).
    So seriously, not trying to be a shitstarter...what are they?

I mean...also in the last 50 years 18 year olds can vote and people can't be forced into military service, Gay rights/marriage, Disabled persons rights, that Roe v. Wade thing apparently some backwards thinking wants to get rid of...and now marijuana is legal almost everywhere. Equal pay, civil rights act, voter supression act are all just over 50 years ago...

User Info Menu

Apparently this is a place where people prefer to argue instead of practicing the guitar.
    Do not worry
    All The Best
    kris

User Info Menu

I don't think I've ever had to assert my 'rights'. Except once.

I was looking for a new pair of shoes and saw some in a shop. So I asked them to put them aside for me. They asked me for a deposit, which I gave them.

Unfortunately, down the street, I found just the pair I wanted, and bought them. So I went back to the first shop, apologised profusely, and asked for my deposit back.

They refused. Completely.

Well, it doesn't take a genius to see what's wrong with that so I beetled off to the public library, looked up my consumer rights and printed out the relevant bit. Went back to the shop and waved it at them.

The guy looked angry but handed back the deposit. Job done.

So rights are good, and appropriate assertion of rights is good. It's what they're for.
    The seller should tell you that if you do not buy the shoes within the specified time, the deposit will be forfeited.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    So seriously, not trying to be a shitstarter...what are they?

I mean...also in the last 50 years 18 year olds can vote and people can't be forced into military service, Gay rights/marriage, Disabled persons rights, that Roe v. Wade thing apparently some backwards thinking wants to get rid of...and now marijuana is legal almost everywhere. Equal pay, civil rights act, voter supression act are all just over 50 years ago...
    Back in the 80's, I could ride my motorcycle to my nightclub helmetless (cam't do that today) and sell my handgun to my business partner (can't do that today). I could rent my home out for a year and move back in without having to give my tenants thousands of dollars in move out money (can't do that today). And speaking of my motorcycle, I could modify the carb and exhaust to get the best possible performance (can't do that today). I could compliment my cocktail waitresses on how nice they looked (can't do that today). I could put whatever windows I wanted on my house here in San Francisco (can't do that today). I could pay workmen who worked on my properties more than $600 without having to file a 1099 form on them (can't do that today). I could buy an AR-15 to defend my home if I was so inclined (can't do that today). I could get on an airplane without having a government agent looking at me naked (can't do that today). There is much more, but this is just stuff off the top of my head (like the motorcycle helmet that I resent having to wear).

Perhaps some think those freedoms were unimportant. Not me (and if you want to look at me naked, at least buy me dinner first ).

Regarding pot, Gay marriage and abortion; I am glad we have moved forward with those freedoms and am sorry about the backward movement on the abortion issue (people who have religious views should not be able to codify those views into law, IMO).

User Info Menu

I am pro-death. I have no problem with the death penalty (so long as it is applied fairly) and abortion on demand. IMO, there are too many humans on the planet and overpopulation is the root cause of most of our problems (war, climate change etc.).
    +++

Death penalty is tricky (esp. when combined with "common sense of the common man" juries IMHO) but yeah, abortion more or less when you want (to be defined...), right to euthanasia and suicide (or rather, the right to fail to commit it ). All boils down to prioritising quality of life over life itself.

User Info Menu

Back in the 80's, I could ride my motorcycle to my nightclub helmetless (cam't do that today) and sell my handgun to my business partner (can't do that today). I could rent my home out for a year and move back in without having to give my tenants thousands of dollars in move out money (can't do that today). And speaking of my motorcycle, I could modify the carb and exhaust to get the best possible performance (can't do that today). I could compliment my cocktail waitresses on how nice they looked (can't do that today). I could put whatever windows I wanted on my house here in San Francisco (can't do that today). I could pay workmen who worked on my properties more than $600 without having to file a 1099 form on them (can't do that today). I could buy an AR-15 to defend my home if I was so inclined (can't do that today). I could get on an airplane without having a government agent looking at me naked (can't do that today). There is much more, but this is just stuff off the top of my head (like the motorcycle helmet that I resent having to wear).

Perhaps some think those freedoms were unimportant. Not me (and if you want to look at me naked, at least buy me dinner first ).

Regarding pot, Gay marriage and abortion; I am glad we have moved forward with those freedoms and am sorry about the backward movement on the abortion issue (people who have religious views should not be able to codify those views into law, IMO).
    When I remembered you were in CA I started thinking, "I bet these are gun and environment related"

Talk to me about the AR-15's though...I remember reading somewhere that you CAN buy an AR-15 in CA, but it's like a watered down version equivalent to a regular handgun?

Which I thought was interesting because the argument often made by those who like AR's is that they're not more dangerous than a handgun and they're basically just a semi-automatic pistol dressed up to look like a military weapon...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Apparently this is a place where people prefer to argue instead of practicing the guitar.
    Do not worry
    All The Best
    kris
    Arguing is as easy as falling off a log.

Practicing, on the other hand, is more challenging, if it's done right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    When I remembered you were in CA I started thinking, "I bet these are gun and environment related"

Talk to me about the AR-15's though...I remember reading somewhere that you CAN buy an AR-15 in CA, but it's like a watered down version equivalent to a regular handgun?

Which I thought was interesting because the argument often made by those who like AR's is that they're not more dangerous than a handgun and they're basically just a semi-automatic pistol dressed up to look like a military weapon...
    I can't speak to the AR-15. They are not my cup of tea. When it comes to firearms, I like revolvers and lever action rifles. Just like when it comes to guitars, I like archtops, Gypsy guitars, Les Pauls and Strats. I am an old school kind of guy.

I do miss riding my motorcycle helmetless and I am glad that I no longer have any employees. I like to flirt. When a female looks good, I tell her so. If that makes me a sexist, White privileged male, so be it. The culture may change, but I don't plan to change myself. And anybody who has a big problem with that can pound salt.

User Info Menu

Too late!

Lol, I would not worry. It has been an interesting debate, showing the old adage that we surely don't all think the same. I think most here are happy that you had a good outcome. May you continue to have a nice outcomes.

User Info Menu

I can't speak to the AR-15. They are not my cup of tea. When it comes to firearms, I like revolvers and lever action rifles. Just like when it comes to guitars, I like archtops, Gypsy guitars, Les Pauls and Strats. I am an old school kind of guy.

I do miss riding my motorcycle helmetless and I am glad that I no longer have any employees. I like to flirt. When a female looks good, I tell her so. If that makes me a sexist, White privileged male, so be it. The culture may change, but I don't plan to change myself. And anybody who has a big problem with that can pound salt.
    I really don't think flirting has been outlawed...

There's just some dudes out there who don't know the fine line between cute and creepy. You know you've seen it--we all have.

User Info Menu

FWIW, I'm with Mr Beaumont here about 97.4%. I don't have time to write long posts right now, but I do think that before anyone writes long-assed, convoluted dissertations on non-music related stuff they should first have posted some of their artistic product, preferably in video form, with them actually playing music on the guitar. Otherwise, wth?
    Last edited by Peter C; 05-04-2022 at 06:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    FWIW, I'm with Mr Beaumont here about 97.4%. I don't have time to write long posts right now, but I do think that before anyone who writes long-assed, convoluted dissertations on non-music related stuff should first have posted some of their artistic product, preferably in video form, with them actually playing music on the guitar. Otherwise, wth?
    Video? Nope. Not my generation. I'm a performer.