The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 101

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    well done! Getting roasted is the first step and putting yourself in that situation both takes a little courage and is the best learning experience.
    Yes ya gotta get roasted at least once. I got roasted by a piano player at Smalls like 15 years ago, will never forget it. Once he noticed that I was in over my head he called an obscure and difficult tune at a fast speed, he did not say what key. I've learned it, it's called "Woody N You" and it's not my favorite but I do play it.

Now I see people roasting young guys with Giant Steps and Cherokee at the jams I go to. Just those 2 tunes, works every time. If you are really worried about getting roasted, I'd say just learn those 2 songs and you'll be ready for the attack when it comes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    The other day I asked about a jam session where the "best" musicians meet and play.
    They said to me that there was a beast who played like a beast the saxophone
    a cool guy who impressed everyone so well that nobody dared to play.
    So the guy stopped coming.
    Hmmm - autobiographical? I don’t get the symbolism, but I love the poetry. Sounds like e e cummings or Shel Silverstein (two of my favorites)!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Hmmm - autobiographical? I don’t get the symbolism, but I love the poetry. Sounds like e e cummings or Shel Silverstein (two of my favorites)!
    How can I be a poet ? I barely speak English.

User Info Menu

Sometimes that can lead to prose that has a poetic tint to it

User Info Menu

Your writing style in English is absolutely cool! Whether or not it was your intent, those 4 lines are as fascinating and profound as anything e e cummings ever wrote (and he's one of my favorite poets). Here's a classic stanza from "nobody loses all the time":

i remember we all cried like the Missouri
    when my Uncle Sol’s coffin lurched because
    somebody pressed a button
    (and down went
    my Uncle
    Sol
    and started a worm farm)

And Shel Silverstein (another of my favorite poets) wrote many verses with cadence and irony similar to your post that I quoted. Here's a stanza from the lyric to his wonderful song "It Does Not Pay to be Hip":

She says, “you know what I’d like to do?”
    I said, “No, what?”
    And she said, “I’d like to make love to you”
    And I said, “Go, baby, go!”
    And she left.

You may not have tried, but you succeeded!

User Info Menu

You can always tell who the ESL guys are. They're the ones who speak English better than Americans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    You can always tell who the ESL guys are. They're the ones who speak English better than Americans.
    And how I suffered when I was in the US, trying to speak English with the natives Do you like Open Jams? as soon as I got back on the British Airways plane, everything was fine.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    And how I suffered when I was in the US, trying to speak English with the natives Do you like Open Jams? as soon as I got back on the British Airways plane, everything was fine.

When I was 16, I had spent 10 days in a British family, I say British, not English, I was in the UK, not in England.
    They spoke Welsh and English but with a strange accent.
    This is my only experience with the UK, I've never been in the USA, Canada, New Zealand...
    I've never known how I learnt English so "well".

User Info Menu

When I was 16, I had spent 10 days in a British family, I say British, not English, I was in the UK, not in England.
    They spoke Welsh and English but with a strange accent.
    This is my only experience with the UK, I've never been in the USA, Canada, New Zealand...
    I've never known how I learnt English so "well".
    I suspect that you don’t know the classic description of the US and GB “two countries separated by a common language”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I suspect that you don’t know the classic description of the US and GB “two countries separated by a common language”
    Sweet (UK), Candy (USA), Lolly (Australia).
    Every imperial language made specific languages.
    They all speak Spanish, English, French, Brazilian, Arabic... and don't really sound as they should.

About US and GB...
    A musicologist said : "Americans are Germans who can swing but don't say I'm the one who told you that."

User Info Menu

Sweet (UK), Candy (USA), Lolly (Australia).
    Every imperial language made specific languages.
    They all speak Spanish, English, French, Brazilian, Arabic... and don't really sound as they should.

About US and GB...
    A musicologist said : "Americans are Germans who can swing but don't say I'm the one who told you that."
    As a German, I feel I should object to this. Not because of the swing, but I don’t perceive many similarities.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    As a German, I feel I should object to this. Not because of the swing, but I don’t perceive many similarities.

At 1:31:00

User Info Menu

When he says "Germans", he means North of Europe, the middle American, the main culture is German, a term that is not really used today : WASP... That's clearly an unusual term today because of politically correct...
    You can figure it with history, Americans with Italian roots are not perceived the same way. They make themselves the difference.
    The USA, the main culture, structure of the society is more German than Latin.
    About music and art, it's something different, deeper and richer !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    Yes ya gotta get roasted at least once. I got roasted by a piano player at Smalls like 15 years ago, will never forget it. Once he noticed that I was in over my head he called an obscure and difficult tune at a fast speed, he did not say what key. I've learned it, it's called "Woody N You" and it's not my favorite but I do play it.

Now I see people roasting young guys with Giant Steps and Cherokee at the jams I go to. Just those 2 tunes, works every time. If you are really worried about getting roasted, I'd say just learn those 2 songs and you'll be ready for the attack when it comes.
    I'd love to play at an open jam. I've done them many times with bluegrass, rock/pop/blues. But that is easy to fly through and figure out keys. I would be so intimidated at a jazz session right now...and it's even more intimidating hearing stories like this over and over and over again. I get it I suck, I just want maybe 2 times through the A section to jam on a bit then I'll go sit down and let the masters get back to it. Roasting me would be like microwaving thanksgiving turkey the next day...it's already cooked and we all know it won't be as good That's the nature of jam session and always has been in jazz, so I'll take my lumps.

User Info Menu

Musicologists are full of it lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMColeman
    I'd love to play at an open jam. I've done them many times with bluegrass, rock/pop/blues. But that is easy to fly through and figure out keys. I would be so intimidated at a jazz session right now...and it's even more intimidating hearing stories like this over and over and over again. I get it I suck, I just want maybe 2 times through the A section to jam on a bit then I'll go sit down and let the masters get back to it. Roasting me would be like microwaving thanksgiving turkey the next day...it's already cooked and we all know it won't be as good That's the nature of jam session and always has been in jazz, so I'll take my lumps.
    You can walk off the stage when they call something you don’t know. I’ve done it and I’m still here.

User Info Menu

The last time I was roasted, I knew the tune (Samba Novo) and also had a chart in front of me, even though I didn't need it.
    It's a simple tune, key of C, but it's played fast.

Jam had some high level pros. At some point they began playing with the time. Apparently, they could hold the tune firmly in mind while they played stuff from outer space. I couldn't tell where they were in the form and had to stop playing. They all came back in together -- although I don't know if they were really still on the original form, or if something else happened.

That was quite a music lesson. Usually, it's easier to play with great players. But, sometimes ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    You can walk off the stage when they call something you don’t know. I’ve done it and I’m still here.
    The cardinal rule at any jam is simple: if you don't know the tune, lay out. There were a few posts in an earlier thread about jams that complained about signs that say this. We had one on the bandstand at the 23rd Street Cafe in Philly for years for our Tuesday night jazz jam, and I see nothing wrong with it.

I currently host a jazz jam on Thursdays and a blues jam on Sundays. I've stopped many a player from starting a tune that others on stage clearly did not know or with which they were uncomfortable. As soon as I hear "don't worry - the changes are x, y, and z - you'll hear it" I know the tune will be trouble, especially if it's either obscure or original.

User Info Menu

Anybody ever consider just reserving a rehearsal studio for a couple of hours and placing an appropriate notice in the local media or online? Wouldn't cost much if two or three people went into it together, maybe a drummer and a bass player and yourself. The worst that could happen is no one else shows up and you have some time for yourselves. You might meet some guys you get along with real well, who knows?

User Info Menu

Anybody ever consider just reserving a rehearsal studio for a couple of hours and placing an appropriate notice in the local media or online? Wouldn't cost much if two or three people went into it together, maybe a drummer and a bass player and yourself. The worst that could happen is no one else shows up and you have some time for yourselves. You might meet some guys you get along with real well, who knows?
    that’s called rehearsal, I would gladly give up all the time I spend here for the opportunity to rehearse standards with someone
    Last edited by AllanAllen; 12-13-2022 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I've seen that, and it works every time, at least around here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    And sometimes they say "Stay stay stay" even if you say you don't know what it's about. They say "You can do it, it's easy, I wanted to play with you, don't leave."

User Info Menu

I had not until just now I couldn't care less about the audience watching or whatever. I just want to play.

I've done a lot of house jam sessions, and very rarely do I wish I hadn't gone. I jammed with a bunch of bluegrass players all twice my age and it was an absolute blast to hear them enjoying the songs after 60+ years of playing a lot of them. That's all I want now is to make music with others who like making music.

User Info Menu

One thing I dread is being told "don't worry, you'll hear it". How do they know that I'll be able to hear it?

User Info Menu

Now that I can hang at a jam session, 2 main problems-

- Too many guitar players! Why are there so many?? And why is it that 80% of them are newbies? I gotta sit and wait while these guys stare at the chart and lay out or play so quiet that it's inaudible.

- 3+ people comping at once! Sounds terrible. What can be done about this??? I've dropped hints to people that comping should be done by 1 person or occasionally by 2, but I'm not the guy running the jam.

My solution to both is to stop going if there's more than 2 guitar players at a jam. I only go to small unknown jams now.