The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Anyone else go to this?

It was absolutely awesome! And the opening act was really good too. About half of the songs Kurt played were from his Angels Around album, and there were a few I didn't recognise and a few standards like Sandu and I'll Remember April. He's an electrifying improviser with a great, multicoloured vocabulary of chords which he seamlessly integrates into his solos. Of course, his phrasing is wonderful, the way he rhythmically sculpts his lines swings really hard and is very vocal (he can be heard singing along to his lines). I bought two of his most recent albums, Chopin Project and Plays the Piano. Another big plus was
    I was second person in line to gain entry, and I actually ended up with the most ideal standing-spot in the whole place, right in front of the man himself. I didn't take any photos while they were playing, but I did get to meet him afterwards:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

BTW, the opening act was Daisy George's band:

Daisy George - Earth Agency (earth-agency.com)

User Info Menu

Hi James,

I was stood just a couple of metres away from you! (see photo!) I recognised a lot of faces in the crowd last night - I think almost every jazz and session guitarist in London who wasn't working last night was there!

It was a great show and well worth the wait and postponements of the last two years. It's the first time I've heard Kurt playing standards live for years. He hasn't played in London much in the last decade - I saw the Star of Jupiter band at Ronnie's in 2011 (yikes, where did the time go!) and Bandit 65 in 2019 (I missed Bandit 65 in 2018).

The set list included Simple #2 (Rosenwinkel), Self-Portrait in Three Colours (Mingus), Nica's Dream (Silver), Punjab (Henderson), I'll Remember April and Sandu.

Kurt Rosenwinkel at The Jazz Cafe, 30/03/22-img_3661-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi David. Thanks for the photo! Nica's Dream was quite something, wasn't it? That was the possible high point for me, but the whole thing was wonderful.

Rosenwinkel played with Ozmosys in 2019, and I went to that gig, but he didn't really have chance to stretch out like he does with his trio. Plus it was at the Royal Festival Hall and as such a totally different ambience (some might say not as good as a place like The Jazz Café.)

User Info Menu

Haven’t been to the Jazz Cafe for over 20 years! Can’t remember who I last saw there.

I do remember seeing Jackie McLean and Eliane Elias there, a long time ago.

User Info Menu

I saw them (Kurt, Dario Deidda and Greogory Hutchinson) a couple of weeks earlier (March 19th) in Stockholm.
    Roughly half of the tunes they played were their own and the rest was tunes by musicians I recognize (like Mingus, Monk and Henderson) but without being familiar with the tunes themselves. They did play Nicas Dream but neither Sandu nor I'll remember April.
    Overall a great concert that I really enjoyed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    I saw them (Kurt, Dario Deidda and Greogory Hutchinson) a couple of weeks earlier (March 19th) in Stockholm.
    Roughly half of the tunes they played were their own and the rest was tunes by musicians I recognize (like Mingus, Monk and Henderson) but without being familiar with the tunes themselves. They did play Nicas Dream but neither Sandu nor I'll remember April.
    Overall a great concert that I really enjoyed.
    Ah, cool! Dario Deidda couldn't make it to London for some reason, but I can't remember the name of the guy who replaced him...

User Info Menu

Very cool! Went to see Kurt Elling with Charlie Hunter there recently.

I'm on a Kurt kick lately, really digging his piano album. All my favourite musicians can write a memorable tune. Kurt is surely one of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Ah, cool! Dario Deidda couldn't make it to London for some reason, but I can't remember the name of the guy who replaced him...
    Orlando le Fleming stepped in on bass. A great musician. He's from the UK and moved to NYC in the early 2000s, working and recording with lots of great players like Ari Hoenig, Will Vinson, Gilad Hekselman and Lage Lund. He's recently moved back to the UK.

I know of a London drummer (who I won't name) who did the afternoon rehearsal and soundcheck with Kurt when it looked like Greg Hutchinson might not make it either! (We heard at the gig and on Hutch's Instagram about his losing his passport in a Rome Uber and subsequently missing his original flight.)

User Info Menu

The Swedish radio P2 just broadcast a recording from the Gothenburg show on the same tour:

It's available here:
    KONSERT: Kurt Rosenwinkel trio 3 maj 2022 - Jazzradion | Sveriges Radio
    (not sure about for how long or whether there are geographical restrictions).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    The Swedish radio P2 just broadcast a recording from the Gothenburg show on the same tour:

It's available here:
    KONSERT: Kurt Rosenwinkel trio 3 maj 2022 - Jazzradion | Sveriges Radio
    (not sure about for how long or whether there are geographical restrictions).
    It's working for me in the UK.

User Info Menu

Very happy to have stumbled upon a video of the KR Trio playing Nica's Dream from this gig -

User Info Menu

I'm just going to come out and say it. He has a funny name, but he is really good. I've heard him play some absolutely phenomenal stuff.

As you were, pinheads. I'm about to change the course of music for the better