The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
    Dutchbopper Guest
    2021 was a bad year for me but at the very last moment there was a positive thing. I was invited to join an Oscar Peterson Tribute Trio. What we will be playing are the exact arrangements that you hear in the classic trios with Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis and Ray Brown and some of the Monty Alexander Trio with Herb and Ray Brown from the "Triple Treat" albums (which was an Oscar Peterson Tribute Trio already at the time).

I have been studying Herb's stuff and digging it so much. What a strong rhythm and bluesy player he was! I have to figure out a way to emulate his bongo playing haha.

Here's one of the tunes wewill be playing in this exact arrangment. I will be recording some vids once we are settled a bit.

Question: how does the bongo thing work?

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Found this video of Herb doing the bongo thing:

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Found this video of Herb doing the bongo thing:

So he is hitting the fretboard alternately at the 7th and 12th fret (flageolet areas), choking the strings in about 5th position? And there is some raking involved too!

DB

User Info Menu

Tal demonstrates it here at 19 minutes in (I knew I’d seen it in this video somewhere!):

User Info Menu

That's a really wonderful way to ring in the new year! I hope it brings you some solace and equanimity to lessen the burden of the last year.

If you're not familiar with it, I strongly suggest the OPT at the Stratford Shakespearean Festival 1958 for inspiration. I think it's one of the best examples of their art and craft. It's my lifetime favorite OPT album, in part because it was the first OP album I bought when I was a kid. Yes, I'm that old - it's mono, but it's "a panoramic true high fidelity record"!

I learned every tune on it by the time I was 13 and have spent more than 60 years trying to master them. And it's remained one of my favorite albums of all time - the music is simply stellar! The whole thing is on YouTube, and it's a better mood elevator than any drug.

Oscar Peterson Tribute Trio-opt_at_stratford_cover800-jpg

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    That's a really wonderful way to ring in the new year! I hope it brings you some solace and equanimity to lessen the burden of the last year.

If you're not familiar with it, I strongly suggest the OPT at the Stratford Shakespearean Festival 1958 for inspiration. I think it's one of the best examples of their art and craft. It's my lifetime favorite OPT album, in part because it was the first OP album I bought when I was a kid. Yes, I'm that old - it's mono, but it's "a panoramic true high fidelity record"!

I learned every tune on it by the time I was 13 and have spent more than 60 years trying to master them. And it's remained one of my favorite albums of all time - the music is simply stellar! The whole thing is on YouTube, and it's a better mood elevator than any drug.

Oscar Peterson Tribute Trio-opt_at_stratford_cover800-jpg

Many thanks! Listening right now! The only track we are playing from this album for now seems to be "Love You Madly." But that was from another, much more recent album.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Question: how does the bongo thing work?

DB
    Best to play the bongos through a mambo...

User Info Menu

DB,

Great gig to catch. The trios--with OP and later with Monty--were outstanding. It should be great fun to do tribute to them.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop on things.

GT

Dutchbopper Guest
    Who needs a drummer? This is another tune we will be playing. Listen how hard these guys swing!!!!!! A joy to listen to.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper

I have been studying Herb's stuff and digging it so much. What a strong rhythm and bluesy player he was! I have to figure out a way to emulate his bongo playing haha.
    I'm excited to hear you're so into this, DB. Herb is one of my all-time favorites. He's the jazz guitarist I listen to most often. His mix of blues and a bit country / Americana along with swing and straight ahead jazz is ideal for me.

User Info Menu

So sorry to hear about your trials last year, DB. I haven't been around too much and somehow missed your posts about Jan from Trio Chet and your family ordeals. This sounds like an excellent project for 2022 and a great way to put your new 165 through its paces.