The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Over the past few weeks, I have seen many posts by many pro musicians on my Facebook feed mentioning gig cancellations due to Omicron. Well it finally happened to me. A high dollar casual cancelled on 1/15 due to the new variant (I was told that they had over 50% of their guests cancel on them and decided to quash the event). Lucky for me, I was able to score another (but lower paid) gig on that date.

How about you guys? Has late December and January been a problem with your gigs getting called off?

Sorry to say, but I am resigned to thinking that this is the new normal.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For me, I had two gigs in December that survived, but a bunch of people I know have had cancellations. I have nothing booked in January so far. My gigs tend to pop up on short notice in a handful of regular-ish spots (rather than be planned months ahead), though, so that's not unusual. I can't tell if the empty calendar is a harbinger, or just an empty calendar (yet).

User Info Menu

almost had NYE called off because some of the staff tested positive but they were able to get enough that tested negative to work that night. it was probably the least attended NYE I've ever worked and honestly I was fine w/that.
    this week the city instituted a law that you need to show your vax card to enter.

User Info Menu

I had two cancellations in December and next weeks live gig has morphed into a livestream.
    People are once again hesitant to schedule anything until............. .... ... .. .???

User Info Menu

Nothing cancelled so far, but I had a New Year’s gig where the audience stayed away.
    It was a great-paying job with a 5 piece band. By my calculations, there were not quite enough people there to pay two of us!
    I was cautious and wore a mask most of the time but 3 days later came down with fever and respiratory symptoms. A test says not COVID
    I’ve got a bunch of jobs in Jan and Feb so we’ll see....

User Info Menu

New Year's Eve

User Info Menu

Tell ya what, my saxophonist for New Year's Eve called me Thursday to cancel because he had caught the new variant. We kept the gig, and he's OK, but he was missed.

User Info Menu

My trumpet player for this weekend just called and canceled as he tested positive.
    Geez louise....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    My trumpet player for this weekend just called and canceled as he tested positive.
    Geez louise....
    We’re now down one for this Sunday’s blues show with presumptive covid. Had known close exposure last Thursday and has cough & upper respiratory symptoms. Couldn’t buy or get a test yet.

Fortunately, we were closed the last 2 Sundays for the holidays so the band hasn’t been together for a few weeks.

User Info Menu

I played a high dollar wedding gig today in Big Sur. Amazing venue (a private home right on the cliffs overlooking the ocean), amazing chef prepared dinner, a wedding coordinator who is as hot as a late 20's female can be and two bandmates who are as good as anyone can be on their instruments (a bass player and a reeds player). I used my Blonde L-5CES (It looks good against my Tuxedo). It was a splendid day on the planet for me.

But Omicron had an effect. There were supposed to be 30 guests, only 13 showed up. The people getting married and their guests were all red State folks (from Alabama). Had these folks been Californians, the whole gig might not have happened.

I will keep playing gigs until the gigs run out. It is what I was born to do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Over the past few weeks, I have seen many posts by many pro musicians on my Facebook feed mentioning gig cancellations due to Omicron. Well it finally happened to me. A high dollar casual cancelled on 1/15 due to the new variant (I was told that they had over 50% of their guests cancel on them and decided to quash the event). Lucky for me, I was able to score another (but lower paid) gig on that date.

How about you guys? Has late December and January been a problem with your gigs getting called off?

Sorry to say, but I am resigned to thinking that this is the new normal.
    Yes, many holiday party were either reduced ( in size and or budget) or canceled altogether

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I played a high dollar wedding gig today in Big Sur. Amazing venue (a private home right on the cliffs overlooking the ocean), amazing chef prepared dinner, a wedding coordinator who is as hot as a late 20's female can be and two bandmates who are as good as anyone can be on their instruments (a bass player and a reeds player). I used my Blonde L-5CES (It looks good against my Tuxedo). It was a splendid day on the planet for me.

But Omicron had an effect. There were supposed to be 30 guests, only 13 showed up. The people getting married and their guests were all red State folks (from Alabama). Had these folks been Californians, the whole gig might not have happened.

I will keep playing gigs until the gigs run out. It is what I was born to do.
    And weekly restaurant gigs are all canceled for the time being

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I need to revise my post #5. A second test confirmed I have COVID, and my only exposure was my New Years gig. I’m double vaxxed and boostered but still had one very rough day and today just feel really shitty, like having a bad cold.
    Be careful everybody!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    I need to revise my post #5. A second test confirmed I have COVID, and my only exposure was my New Years gig. I’m double vaxxed and boostered but still had one very rough day and today just feel really shitty, like having a bad cold.
    Be careful everybody!
    Sorry you got sick. It is a good thing that you had the three shots. Things could have been worse.

User Info Menu

There's a surge in progress. Folks need to take care.
    Attached Images Attached Images Anybody have any Omicron cancellations?-snip-jpg 

User Info Menu

Just cancelled everything. I was being obsessively safe, my wife too. And I get a call from her at work, she just tested positive.
    Triple vaccinated all and boosted and N95 masked.
    No gigs. On lockdown for the forseeable.

This one's no joke. Even if you get it "mild", they've just released figures from the insurance industry that COVID related deaths from heart and lung complications are spiking...but they are NOT counted because by then, after the initial illness has been recovered from, a then delayed resultant, it's no longer categorized as a COVID death.

User Info Menu

Gigs cancelled the week before Christmas and looking like January and at least early Feb will be crickets. I'm okay stepping back for a few weeks though we are in for a hell of a spike. Stores in my area are already closing because they have too many people out sick to remain open. I'm not a doomsday prepper but make sure you have some food on hand for the next few weeks as your local grocery store may not be able to keep their normal hours.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    There's a surge in progress. Folks need to take care.

As my favorite cowboy Buster Scruggs said "that ain't good"

User Info Menu

I am in four rehearsal bands, all of them suspended indefinitely as of this week. Fortunately I can still rehearse with my duo partner, but there are no indoor gigs and it is too bloody cold to play outside. There are some fairly drastic “circuit breaker” shutdowns here; we continue to hope they will allow a return to something like normal precautions a few weeks from now.

User Info Menu

We're in lockdown (I can't even tell if it's the third or fourth) since half December here in The Netherlands. Pretty much everything that is non-essential is closed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    Be careful everybody!
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    Gigs cancelled the week before Christmas and looking like January and at least early Feb will be crickets. I'm okay stepping back for a few weeks though we are in for a hell of a spike. Stores in my area are already closing because they have too many people out sick to remain open. I'm not a doomsday prepper but make sure you have some food on hand for the next few weeks as your local grocery store may not be able to keep their normal hours.
    Our store room has sacks of flour, oats, rice, lentils, dried beans etc.. we've been keeping about a six month supply of food on hand all the time. And coffee! If I run out of that...!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Just cancelled everything. I was being obsessively safe, my wife too. And I get a call from her at work, she just tested positive.
    Triple vaccinated all and boosted and N95 masked.
    No gigs. On lockdown for the forseeable.

This one's no joke. Even if you get it "mild", they've just released figures from the insurance industry that COVID related deaths from heart and lung complications are spiking...but they are NOT counted because by then, after the initial illness has been recovered from, a then delayed resultant, it's no longer categorized as a COVID death.
    Just curious, what's the latest status for you and your wife?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnoL
    Just curious, what's the latest status for you and your wife?
    Thanks for asking. Tomorrow if she tests negative, we can begin to share the space, masked. Yeah this was rough, she had fever, aches and couldn't sleep, and all this alone in isolation.
    I continue to test negative (home test) but in a strange twist, I'm feeling a light headedness, headaches and shortness of breath. Alarming symptoms but the tests are negative. This one's a strange and concerning strain. If we get through this and there's nothing more lasting than a memory, I shall consider myself eternally grateful.
    Be cautious everyone.

User Info Menu

All gigs still cancelled here in Greece .. till February at least. But pretty much everyone i ask that has been out during the holidays got covid. Most bands have cancelled rehearsals too, venues would have closed anyways since most of their stuff are sick. And for months now, only the vaccinated can enter restaurants, bars, clubs, concerts..
    Last edited by Alter; 01-16-2022 at 08:58 PM.