The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Some random pics from a musical. Down in "the cage." Mrs WS leads the orchestra on electric violin through a few processors. Me. Relaxing backstage between shows for a snack and to get to know people. The orchestra. The two keyboards players are really the whole backbone of the sound. Another wife/husband duo on percussion and bass. The young lady in the last pic is just a HS Junior, bounces back and forth between 2 saxes, clarinet, oboe and flute. I named her the "quint." Amazing.

Some pics from the pit.-merry1-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-merry2-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-merry3-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-me1-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-me2-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-backstage-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-orchestra-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-keyboards-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-scalzos-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-flute-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice, thanks for sharing !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Some random pics from a musical. Down in "the cage." Mrs WS leads the orchestra on electric violin through a few processors. Me. Relaxing backstage between shows for a snack and to get to know people. The orchestra. The two keyboards players are really the whole backbone of the sound. Another wife/husband duo on percussion and bass. The young lady in the last pic is just a HS Junior, bounces back and forth between 2 saxes, clarinet, oboe and flute. I named her the "quint." Amazing.

Some pics from the pit.-merry1-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-merry2-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-merry3-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-me1-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-me2-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-backstage-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-orchestra-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-keyboards-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-scalzos-jpg
    Some pics from the pit.-flute-jpg
    Haven't worked in a pit since the 80s. Great fun.

User Info Menu

Every movie theater/music venue in Chicago had a pit at one time in the past. Every Elementary School/High School with an auditorium had a pit. In fact, during the 20's until the late Forties/early Fifties, pit orchestras/pianists played during the intermission in many movie theater across the city. I only played in a pit once in 73-75? at the Lewis Elementary School for a program of Latin Music (guitar, bass, drums) with several young, talented Latina vocalists. Great photos, Woody, from somewhere lost in time.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

That looks very cool indeed.

I have always wanted to do something like that, but sadly I guess it will have to wait for another lifetime.

User Info Menu

Great photos, Mr. WS!

For at least the last 45 years (when I was first there), it hasn't been unusual for Broadway musicals to have some "pit" musicians upstairs, far from the stage, watching the conductor on a video feed.

And the one Broadway show for which I was officially a member of the pit orchestra, there was no pit; the band (a western swing band – piano, pedal steel, fiddle, electric bass, guitar) was on stage on a large dolly (so it could move upstage after the "overture"), with supplemental horns upstairs above the dressing rooms.

User Info Menu

Very cool, Woody Sound! Looks like you're having some fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    Great photos, Mr. WS!

For at least the last 45 years (when I was first there), it hasn't been unusual for Broadway musicals to have some "pit" musicians upstairs, far from the stage, watching the conductor on a video feed.

And the one Broadway show for which I was officially a member of the pit orchestra, there was no pit; the band (a western swing band – piano, pedal steel, fiddle, electric bass, guitar) was on stage on a large dolly (so it could move upstage after the "overture"), with supplemental horns upstairs above the dressing rooms.
    I did "Godspell" with the band right on stage with the cast. That was a real blast. Recently as you say, many venues put the group in a remote separate room with video/sound feed. Amps DI'd and acoustic instruments mic'd. I don't really like it, because I still don't trust sound persons.

User Info Menu

Ah, those were the days. I was in the pit a few days into a production when the theatres closed in March 2020. It might be some time before I get back to that type of playing.

User Info Menu

I 've done a few seasons of that... Nice memories, although the six hours on the weekends were a bit too much..

User Info Menu

Cool to have the wife there

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Cool to have the wife there
    It is very cool, and very fun and rewarding. The only drawback is that at home practicing together we can have pretty heated disagreements. Song selection, volume, sound, tempo, etc