The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 64

User Info Menu

So at a Grocery store parking lot.I hear this Violin sounding really beautiful probably a high fidelity speaker.There was a guy with a violin playing and his bow work was not matching what i was hearing.People gave tips as they walked into or out of the store.Upon closer examination he was pretending.But not very synch'd.I told my brother and he said in the state he lives in he saw same and another day an accordian pretend player.prerecordrd tracs.The fidelity of the speakers makes it sound live?So we are starting a tutoring school to tutor persons on how to realistically fake play.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Richard Pryor was doing this 30 years ago. Fooled Andy Summers, too

and a another industry scam idea was born in a dark theater eating popcorn lol kinda felt sorry for the guy busted by the violinist.Not sure i cared for that.lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    This whole report is almost indistinguishable from a comedy sketch.

pretty impressed with serious professional treatment of the situation all the way thru.By the news people HA HA

User Info Menu

"It's a lot of gentlemen that are going to city to city, and they're pretending to play"

How is this any different from the big rock groups and pop artists using backing tracks and lip syncing?

I thought the music it self was very pleasant.
    worth a small tip at least

User Info Menu

It is a scam. I am surprised any musician would tolerate it.

User Info Menu

People want to believe; people want to help. Taking advantage of their better natures is cold, but that is the nature of the scam perpetrator. I won't dignify it with the word "artist," a term which for some of us still holds some value. They are little different from the thieves that assail me every day - by e-mail, by junk mail, and most annoyingly, by phone calls trying to get money and data by nefarious means. These street performers are at least providing a simulation, if not the substance, of entertainment. It is a little creepy and rather sad. Very 21st century. The scammer "others" the entire world, holding himself as superior to the masses of "suckers." It would be pitiable, were it not so fundamentally hateful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    It is a scam. I am surprised any musician would tolerate it.
    Because a dude playing fake violin in the parking lot of TJ Maxx out in the cold basically begging for spare change doesn't fuck anything up for me.

I don't see this as a scam. A scam would be if you hired them to play at your wedding and they mimed to a recording.

User Info Menu

It is not just a dude in the cold. It is a gang. Real musicians busking for change will miss out, because people have already given to the fake.

User Info Menu

The deception is ugly, and so is the fact that somebody else wrote/played the music they're making money with. I wonder how I would feel if I came out of a store and and saw music thieves miming my recordings. It might be like finding your stolen stuff at a flea market.

ok i get a portible dance floor rig it up and put my taps on maybe a little softshoe trac as well.Bill it as 'Dancing next to cars'or Dancing with the cars'.oh i can fake tap you think you were watching fred astaire.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I prefer this genre of "fake" buskers:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Buskers not keeping it real..
    The sky is falling.

User Info Menu

I have seen these dorks out in public myself a couple of times. Given how often commuters have witnessed "shift change" by beggars holding a god bless & please help sign hand the sign off to someone getting out of a Lexus while they get in to be driven away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I have seen these dorks out in public myself a couple of times. Given how often commuters have witnessed "shift change" by beggars holding a god bless & please help sign hand the sign off to someone getting out of a Lexus while they get in to be driven away.
    I saw that the other day. I don't get by Whole Foods very often but it's in a more affluent mall here.
    A guy playing an electric blue violin was playing in the parking lot. They probably had a luxury car sitting close by.

Jokers. I give unlucky people money. Who busks in front of Whole Foods in Las Vegas?

User Info Menu

Damn foos.

User Info Menu

You guys sound like ignorant assholes. Real music or not, it's still someone begging for change on the street. The busker getting into a lexus is about as real as the woman who had a dozen kids by a dozen different daddies to live off the welfare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Real music or not, it's still someone begging for change on the street. The busker getting into a lexus is about as real as the woman who had a dozen kids by a dozen different daddies to live off the welfare.
    Yup.

User Info Menu

I used to know a guy who knew about 3 songs. He played, got enough money for a pint, drank it, went back, carried on, and did it all again. Come the end of the day he was completely zonked, totally broke, but very happy. Way to go :-)

User Info Menu

Back in the late '70's and early '80's, when I was busking with a bluegrass band on the streets of NYC (I played standup slapped bass for that trio), there was a guy who would stand in front of Broadway theatres in the evening playing the violin, with his case opened in front of him and his Pekingese by his side. His sign read something about making his way through Juilliard. There was eventually an interview/article with/about him in NY Magazine or somewhere, and the story was that he made close to $100k busking (he actually did play the violin – quite well – with no backing track, and it turned out he was a not-recent graduate of Juilliard).

As a side note, my little trio (banjo, guitar, bass, with 3-part harmonies – all acoustic) would have crowds of people around us on an evening on Columbus Avenue. Once a couple of policemen came by, admonished everyone to stay on the sidewalk – out of the street, in other words – and then one of them went around, passing his cap, collecting money, which he then put in the guitar case in front of us. On a typical evening, we could make $65 each in just over two hours; there were many months that I paid my rent with just my busking money. Remember, this was the beginning of the '80's – my one-room apartment in Manhattan was $300/mo. Different times.