User Info Menu

Yowza. Sometimes I don't even think of his stuff as "jazz" (much like Jim Campilongo), he's "just Julian".

Some crazy playing here, peeps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Am I allowed to say I would have preferred this on his telecaster? It had a bit more bite. Great player, though, all the time.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 10-13-2021 at 06:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, you're allowed but watch out for the Julian police. It does sound like he has the tone control down a bit too far; I've been playing Gretsches lately, and the reason is because they sing so well when fully opened up. After the first gig on one, I realized why PAF-style pickups didn't inspire or excite me. I do appreciate the theatrics, though, jazz needs a touch of the entertainer to appeal across a wider demographic.

User Info Menu

What, you mean we're not supposed to wear suits and hats and stand stock still making jazz faces? When did this happen?

IDK if he had the tone control rolled down or not- while Dynasonics are bright pickups, the Collings is a dark/warm-sounding guitar... by design, as Julian's '63 Jet's neck pickup was "very dark" (his words).

In all the clips I've heard of it (which isn't many, most are Julian), it actually sounds darker and more hollow than my 6120 with Filtertrons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Am I allowed to say I would have preferred this on his telecaster? It had a bit more bite. Great player, though, all the time.
    Good heavens Rob! You can't possibly be suggesting that 'the sound' resides somewhere other than the fingers!! :-)

When I saw him he was playing Tele and Princeton. He sounded very much like this where I was sitting. I even posted here about how muddy he sounded to me at the time. So there's that. Along with vagaries of room acoustics and recording equipment.

User Info Menu

It’s sad that all I’ve heard of Julian is through my computer speakers, sometimes through headphones. I just hope he comes to Edinburgh sometime, so I can hear him live. I’d love that, no matter what guitar he’s playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Yowza. Sometimes I don't even think of his stuff as "jazz" (much like Jim Campilongo), he's "just Julian".
    Some crazy playing here, peeps.
    This is highly encouraging perspective. Maybe there would after all be a possibility to play just like one plays. No categories, no limits, just music.