The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 52

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    My neighbours are gonna think I'm going nuts-I can't stop cackling out loud! lol!!!

The same thing happened to me. A guy on my other forum made a comment about how the guy's face during the lyric "..free.." was priceless.

Working with a singer who "Just hears differently"-captura-de-pantalla-117-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    I can't help thinking that Sara Brand is doing this on purpose for some reason. There's no way she can listen to her recordings and not hear how far off she is.

She's either playing everybody or she has some serious issues.
    The great Jo Stafford had a goof duet with her husband. They recorded and were out of tune; time; etc. Dunno the name, Jonathan Schwartz used to play them before he was offed...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    More Sarah Brand.

I am a singer-songwriter and director from Malibu, California. I write primarily pop music infused with sociological introspection spanning topics such as religious hypocrisy, inequality, and romance. I write all my music, as well as direct and edit music videos. I am currently living abroad in England for a Master of Science in Sociology at the University of Oxford. I received my B.A. in Sociology from UC Berkeley, with Highest Honors, and a minor in History.

My musical journey began when my poetry began coming to me with accompanying melodies. Then, I began to dream every night of playing the guitar. On my birthday, I got a guitar and proceeded to teach myself both guitar and piano. My mission is to write socially conscious music to promote compassion and introspection through different perspectives in musical and visual content.
    Eeeew. Toe-curling. Horrible song too.

Stay in school, Sarah. There's hope---in a WAY different field...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    I'll take door number two, Chuck.
    I have to go with door #1. We're being played. I don't understand how someone could sacrifice their dignity for views, but that's what I think she's doing.

She went from 100 subscribers to over 700 in 2 days and and has over 1/4 of a million views on that "Red Dress" video. I think we helped her.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    The great Jo Stafford had a goof duet with her husband. They recorded and were out of tune; time; etc. Dunno the name, Jonathan Schwartz used to play them before he was offed...
    Darlene and Jonathan Edwards (aka Paul Weston). Their take on "Stayin' Alive" is unforgettable:

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Darlene and Jonathan Edwards (aka Paul Weston). Their take on "Stayin' Alive" is unforgettable:
    Too funny!

Now let's be fair and hear what the gal REALLY did (and dig that guy in the set up---still a liberal?)...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Too funny!

Now let's be fair and hear what the gal REALLY did (and dig that guy in the set up---still a liberal?)...

Forget about Ronnie, that's George Van Eps sitting behind Jo Stafford! Pity he's cut off at the end after Rosemary Clooney's appearance.

Thanks for the clip, one I've never come across before.

User Info Menu

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Forget about Ronnie, that's George Van Eps sitting behind Jo Stafford! Pity he's cut off at the end after Rosemary Clooney's appearance.

Thanks for the clip, one I've never come across before.
    Tarnation! Didn't even notice...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There is a joke about singers (variation on how mane people you need to put in a new bulb)

So you need just one singer.. he/she would put the the bulb to the lamp socket. And as the world rotates around the singer, the bulb will screw in by itself.

User Info Menu

This one comes to mind A Musical Joke - Wikipedia

When listening to it, something sure seems off, but you need a certain sophistication to understand why it’s bad.

No idea about the red dress thing but I’m hoping for a great reveal some day… an art project perhaps.

User Info Menu

Oh, there is a reveal, kind of…

Red Dress song: Divisive pop video '''did what it set out to do''' - BBC News

She admitted to the BBC that she is "no professional singer".She added: "The style in which I sing the song was important because it reflected the story.

"The vocals don't seem to quite fit, they seem out of place and they make people uncomfortable... and the video is this outsider doing things differently and causing discomfort and eliciting all this judgement."”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankhond

She admitted to the BBC that she is "no professional singer".She added: "The style in which I sing the song was important because it reflected the story.

"The vocals don't seem to quite fit, they seem out of place and they make people uncomfortable... and the video is this outsider doing things differently and causing discomfort and eliciting all this judgement."”
    So... a stunt? And by any measure, a successful one? Bravo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    I can't help thinking that Sara Brand is doing this on purpose for some reason. There's no way she can listen to her recordings and not hear how far off she is.

She's either playing everybody or she has some serious issues.
    It’s performance art:

“My mission is to create socially conscious media to promote compassion and introspection through different perspectives. I also seek to cultivate a certain style of filmmaking: 'holistic video production.' This means that the audience experiences the media's theme not just visually, but also in other dimensions, such as audibly. Red Dress, for example, is a 'holistic portrayal of judgment.' The vocals are out of place, just like the character is out of place as she is met with exclusion from the church insiders, judging her in the pews. Moreover, the vocals being out of place invites the real-world audience to judge just like the church goers. Hence, the real-world audience is brought into the church pews of judgment, partaking in the theme, creating a holistic video experience.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    It’s performance art:

“My mission is to create socially conscious media to promote compassion and introspection through different perspectives. I also seek to cultivate a certain style of filmmaking: 'holistic video production.' This means that the audience experiences the media's theme not just visually, but also in other dimensions, such as audibly. Red Dress, for example, is a 'holistic portrayal of judgment.' The vocals are out of place, just like the character is out of place as she is met with exclusion from the church insiders, judging her in the pews. Moreover, the vocals being out of place invites the real-world audience to judge just like the church goers. Hence, the real-world audience is brought into the church pews of judgment, partaking in the theme, creating a holistic video experience.”
    Yes. I like Sarah Brand.
    All notes matter;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    So... a stunt? And by any measure, a successful one? Bravo!
    Sort of like the Yuja Wang of sociology students.
    It's performance art.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Sort of like the Yuja Wang of sociology students.
    It's performance art.
    Tomato, tomahto....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankhond

If her intention from the start was to sing-as-she-did to cause discomfort related to how a red-dress can cause discomfort to conservative \ church going folks, my hat is off to her. But this theme was done by Hollywood a few times;

Check out the 1938 Bette Davis film Jezebel; one key scene in this film is that she wears a red-dress to a formal southern social, knowing this will upset everyone (especially her boyfriend up tight Henry Fonda). She does so for those very reasons! (oh and the film is in black and white but the scene is so well done by Davis and director William Wyler, that one doesn't need to see RED to feel all the tension created).

User Info Menu

She's from LA. Red Dress was a good career move.

She said her work was a "cinematic, holistic portrayal of judgement".

User Info Menu

Novices can't hear Sarah's sublime use of micro-tonality as she calls out the haters in our institutions.

User Info Menu

Damn, the song rearranged my ears..

I wonder if she actually sang it like that or if they auto-UNtuned it afterwards..

Found her old channel, it's better. Someone writes in the comments "My tinnitus is almost gone" hehehe..

Beautiful and talented in comedy!

User Info Menu

Yup. Singers matter. Even more than guitarists.

User Info Menu

Quintessential Barnum and Bailey . . . the masses are asses . . .
    Play live . . . Marinero