The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 71 of 71

User Info Menu

Yes. outdoor gigs this year and outdoor sessions for fun, even last year, in my yard.

More recently, indoor sessions with vaxxed players.

I'm still reluctant to do indoor gigs with an audience. I declined an indoor big band gig last week. 15 horns and an audience in a relatively small space -- and a triple vaxxed friend just had a pretty bad case of covid, so I was nervous about it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had a great jazz concert last Sunday, indoors. Large room, lots of space between audience members, large enough stage for anti-social distancing, great soundman (ex-Metheny) who told me he wasn't used to doing such small rooms (seats 500 easily!), and an eager and enthusiastic crowd. Hoping for more of this.

User Info Menu

Again, here in Greece, music has just been forbidden again everywhere, both live and recorded.. Welcome 2022 So all gigs cancelled again till further notice..

User Info Menu

Bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Again, here in Greece, music has just been forbidden again everywhere, both live and recorded.. Welcome 2022 So all gigs cancelled again till further notice..
    I hope you mean only live music!

User Info Menu

I have played one outside coffee house and one outside porch concert. No indoor gigs and with the new omicron variant, probably not for awhile.

Have done some indoor worship services with other musicians vaxxed, boosted, masked and appropriate social distancing.

The musicians I perform with are all older and are very cautious.

User Info Menu

I don't gig but do regularly participate in jam sessions up to 2-3 times a week at different venues. However, live music in Japan more or less shut down in 2020. Some clubs retooled, others waited it out surviving on subsidies, one blues club closed. Live music opened up again in 2021 and I returned to the jam sessions. But then we had the biggest surge ever in the wake of the Olympics, upwards of 25,000 cases a day. So things shut down again. In October live music started coming back and since then I'm playing live regularly, back up to pre-corona levels of 2-3 times a week.

At the jam sessions I attend, virtually everyone wears masks, except of course the singers and horn players when performing (but while waiting their turn they are masked). I found that in pre-corona Japan masking was more a normal part of life. People tend to wear them if they have a cold as a courtesy or during the flu or allergy seasons. Not much politics around masking, though there is a little around vaccinations, historically. Here's a photo from last night's jazz jam session:

Have you played live since Covid?-2912session4-jpg

Some people showed up who I haven't seen since before corona, plus lots of new faces. It feels good to be playing live again. I can only speak about the local jam sessions in which participate. There is some caution around Omicron on the policy level, especially related to immigration and tourism. Corona cases recently have been low and in general Japan has a few hundred per day nationally, although the numbers seem to be creeping upward again. In terms of live music, I'd imagine that more things have been opening up in venues around the country. In fact, several of my friends who are gigging musicians have been returning to the regular club and hotel circuits.

During corona down time, I played mostly alone at home. Not so much practice routines, more working out solo arrangements of old tunes and learning some new tunes. I thought for sure that when I got back to playing live my playing skills would have deteriorated. However, I found that I am more comfortable playing live now than before. Perhaps it's because I'm more aware of my presumed limitations, listening more carefully and paying more attention to the non-verbal cues.

User Info Menu

I recently did a TV show called “The Tribute, battle of the bands” with the Amy Winehouse tribute band I play in. So much fun! (Altough a lot of hassle for 2 minutes of playing every show.)

We had a number of recording days and I was amazed how well it was organised: every single person got tested (vaccinated or not) before entering the building, including the 100 person audience. I was actually amazed that nobody of the participating bands (9 per show) tested positive.

It will be broadcasted from the 15th January on Dutch national tv. (I am under contract now not to give any information about the final results and the winners).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I hope you mean only live music!
    No, all music is forbidden in public places, clubs, restaurants, bars, hotels, coffee shops, etc... Just a pitiful government...

User Info Menu

No, all music is forbidden in public places, clubs, restaurants, bars, hotels, coffee shops, etc... Just a pitiful government...
    Did the Taliban take over? Have you played live since Covid?

User Info Menu

What? Am I understanding that it is forbidden to listen to the radio in a public place? The workers just work in silence?

User Info Menu

Yes! Luckily and incredibly this year I had a ton of gigs in various formats.

User Info Menu

nope. Omicron is incredibly transmissible. Unless you wear a true sealed mask mask like the 3m respirator, you are taking a chance. I still have friends dying from covid. One as recent as a week ago.

User Info Menu

Meanwhile in San Diego, Jan 1st, 2022, live rock and roll, packed bar, shoulder to shoulder, no masks in sight.
    Attached Images Attached Images Have you played live since Covid?-shit-show-jpg 

User Info Menu

I went to a blues jam and played 4 songs with strangers. It was fun, it was worth the risk after two years of quarantine, I'm young, I have the vaccine, I also have extreme burnout from two years of this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I went to a blues jam and played 4 songs with strangers. It was fun, it was worth the risk after two years of quarantine, I'm young, I have the vaccine, I also have extreme burnout from two years of this.
    well, to play devil's advocate I will say that just because you're young doesn't mean you can't give it to someone else who is not young and not in good health. A pandemic spreads at an exponential rate. You are in contact with someone who's in contact with someone else who's in contact with someone else, etc., etc.

Four people I know have died because they were in contact with young people who had no symptoms and a 5th one is currently in the ICU with a 70% blood/oxygen level. We need to learn to think beyond ourselves. This isn't just a matter of political or religous beliefs. We are dealing with an evolving organism that is rapidly mutating in part because of people who won't get vaccinated and who ignore social distancing and masking - in many cases - because they, themselves feel that they are in a low-risk category...

User Info Menu

Covid is not going away anytime soon. In fact, probably never.

How will pandemic end? Omicron clouds forecasts for endgame

I am out gigging at about 50% of my pre-pandemic level. I do not expect things to change much moving forward. I enjoy each and every gig and figure that at 64, it was getting time for me to cut back in any case.

It has been a great ride, and when I die, if I do get to meet my maker, I plan on thanking him/her/it for the gift of music.

User Info Menu

I haven't. I'm not in any real hurry either. Focusing on doing some recording...I have some ideas I want to capture.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    For a few months last fall, I got together with a bass player and drummer every Monday night to play in the drummer’s basement music room. We sat in the corners more than 10’ apart, masked. One week, the drummer told us he was getting a cortisone shot in a painful shoulder and we’d have to skip the next week. The shoulder was still bothering him the next 2 weeks, so we took a break. While we were talking on the phone, I convinced him to get a flu shot when he went back to his doctor - he’d never had a flu shot because he believed it would give him the flu.

The next week he canceled the 4th Monday in a row, yelling at me that he got the flu from the shot. I urged him to get a Covid test, which he blew off until a few days later when he was sick as hell and stayed that way for weeks. He probably should have been hospitalized but refused to go to the ER.

I finally pried the truth out. He felt better as week 3 of our break passed, so he went to a local blues jam with a few of our friends. Seven of them got Covid that night. One (the club owner) died from it, and 2 (at least the 2 who admit it) still have long Covid symptoms now.

Omicron is very very contagious. Even the vaccinated now have some risk, and it’s hitting younger people harder than the prior variants. Playing in close quarters with strangers whose health and vaccination status are entirely unknown is more of a risk than you may understand. I’ve only met one person terminally ill from a self-inflicted disease (he was a heavy smoker) who truly felt that he loved what he’d done enough to be able to die from the consequences without regret. Think carefully about whether you have that level of equanimity and got so much pleasure from those 4 tunes that you’d die without regret if you got Covid that night.

We ask everyone who shares our stage if they’re vaccinated - no vax and mask, no access. We use fresh mic condoms for each singer, spray disinfect the keyboards, etc. At least be careful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    well, to play devil's advocate I will say that just because you're young doesn't mean you can't give it to someone else who is not young and not in good health. A pandemic spreads at an exponential rate. You are in contact with someone who's in contact with someone else who's in contact with someone else, etc., etc.

Four people I know have died because they were in contact with young people who had no symptoms and a 5th one is currently in the ICU with a 70% blood/oxygen level. We need to learn to think beyond ourselves. This isn't just a matter of political or religous beliefs. We are dealing with an evolving organism that is rapidly mutating in part because of people who won't get vaccinated and who ignore social distancing and masking - in many cases - because they, themselves feel that they are in a low-risk category...
    Yeah that's true but I'm not as careless as it looks like you are assuming I am. I guess calling myself young gave the wrong impression.

User Info Menu

Hi, A,
    Perhaps sacrificing a goat to Apollo might help!
    Marinero