The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 71

User Info Menu

Yes, I've been playing live. I play 12-string in a local church band for one of the masses (typically Saturday). I started up playing live again (after a 5 1/2 month hiatus [starting at the end of March 2020] due to Covid) in mid Sept. 2020 - complete with wearing a mask, and social distancing. The masks aren't worn anymore, but the social distancing is still in effect.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

First gig in a closed place since covid started! It's strange, you have to kind of relearn the rhythm of it.. handling the volume, the energy, not forgetting to tune in between, bring stand lights... lots of things that used to be on automatic pilot aren't anymore.. Sticking with it of course!

Trying to get the playing back together to hopefully record this band at some point. But I had a biking accident couple of weeks ago, and the fretting hand can't really do chords yet.. it's getting better though!

Phone video. I had a decent camera with me but didn't set it up.. the gig rhythm i was talking about hehe!

User Info Menu

For those of you who are playing . . . what Covid restrictions are being imposed by the club owner for the musicians? Will they pay a fair price for the performers? Anything else different since pre-Covid? I still have a new pair of tux pants/shirt in my closet I bought in March 2020 that is collecting dust and I'm very reluctant to play with all the uncertainty surrounding this madness since my age puts me in the danger zone.
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S. Nice trio, Alter!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    For those of you who are playing . . . what Covid restrictions are being imposed by the club owner for the musicians? Will they pay a fair price for the performers? Anything else different since pre-Covid? I still have a new pair of tux pants/shirt in my closet I bought in March 2020 that is collecting dust and I'm very reluctant to play with all the uncertainty surrounding this madness since my age puts me in the danger zone.
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S. Nice trio, Alter!
    +1, A!

I play twice weekly (Thu & Sun) and as a sideman for touring acts who need me on Fri or Sat at a small (~75 seats including bar) local club. The owner requires proof of vaccination for all performers and guests and has ejected known players without it. I and my guys in both house bands (my g-b-d jazz trio and the Philly Blues Kings) are vaxed and the Pfizers are boosted. We wear masks except when we’re the only ones on stage, and we’ve removed anyone from our sub list who’s not similarly protected. We need subs because we’re old. Our drummer had hip replacement in April and August, our vocalist had one done last year, and our bassist is currently on crutches. The ravages of time have also kept one of us from a show or two between surgeries.

The owner has an endless supply of mic condoms. We make each performer who uses one of our mics put one on, remove it when done, and discard it. Many bring their own mics when we have a jam. There are hand sanitizing stations front, side, and rear. Staff are all masked all the time. Our pay is the same as it was pre-Covid. Patrons are required to wear masks and prove vaccination. Attendance is at about 60% of our usual level 2 years ago. Many former patrons turned out to be rabid anti-vaxers or otherwise objected to requirements and expected behavior. The owner told each one not to come back, and they haven’t (with a few exceptions who got vaxed and later thanked us).

The club has a full HEPA HVAC system with 3 full air exchanges every 10 minutes, and there’s a spray disinfectant mist system in the ceiling that runs nightly after closing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    +1, A!

I play twice weekly (Thu & Sun) and as a sideman for touring acts who need me on Fri or Sat at a small (~75 seats including bar) local club. The owner requires proof of vaccination for all performers and guests and has ejected known players without it. I and my guys in both house bands (my g-b-d jazz trio and the Philly Blues Kings) are vaxed and the Pfizers are boosted. We wear masks except when we’re the only ones on stage, and we’ve removed anyone from our sub list who’s not similarly protected. We need subs because we’re old. Our drummer had hip replacement in April and August, our vocalist had one done last year, and our bassist is currently on crutches. The ravages of time have also kept one of us from a show or two between surgeries.

The owner has an endless supply of mic condoms. We make each performer who uses one of our mics put one on, remove it when done, and discard it. Many bring their own mics when we have a jam. There are hand sanitizing stations front, side, and rear. Staff are all masked all the time. Our pay is the same as it was pre-Covid. Patrons are required to wear masks and prove vaccination. Attendance is at about 60% of our usual level 2 years ago. Many former patrons turned out to be rabid anti-vaxers or otherwise objected to requirements and expected behavior. The owner told each one not to come back, and they haven’t (with a few exceptions who got vaxed and later thanked us).

The club has a full HEPA HVAC system with 3 full air exchanges every 10 minutes, and there’s a spray disinfectant mist system in the ceiling that runs nightly after closing.
    Hi, N,
    Thanks for the outstanding reply! The owner's protocol seems quite detailed in re:Covid. Is this a union-card club? Many of the larger hotels/venues in the big cities are still union and I wonder if this is standard practice, now, in those clubs. I belonged to the union in Chicago for over 20 years and they really were non-existent when you needed help(other than blacklisting club owners which had no effect) but the unions today could be under Big Governments Covid mandates which would effect many of the good paying gigs. I'm still very conflicted and frustrated about playing in public and, since I cannot physically play with a mask, it may ultimately be the end for many of us unless we ,certifiably, get back to normal. And, since the Science seems to change daily . . . it's a no-win situation. I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. Good playing!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, N,
    Thanks for the outstanding reply! The owner's protocol seems quite detailed in re:Covid. Is this a union-card club? Many of the larger hotels/venues in the big cities are still union and I wonder if this is standard practice, now, in those clubs. I belonged to the union in Chicago for over 20 years and they really were non-existent when you needed help(other than blacklisting club owners which had no effect) but the unions today could be under Big Governments Covid mandates which would effect many of the good paying gigs. I'm still very conflicted and frustrated about playing in public and, since I cannot physically play with a mask, it may ultimately be the end for many of us unless we ,certifiably, get back to normal. And, since the Science seems to change daily . . . it's a no-win situation. I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. Good playing!
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Don’t get me started about the AFM. I know locals vary widely, so I’m not criticizing the national organization. But I was a loyal member of local 77 for decades, during which time they proved to be worse than useless and, at times, a public embarrassment.

Reps dressed like Columbo would barge into an upscale affair to check that the leader hadn’t underreported the number of players (to reduce work dues). They were supposed to check every rated room in the book to be sure pianos were tuned etc - but they never did, and when we sounded terrible because of a truly bad piano, the employer and audience thought it was the musicians’ fault. This happened to me many times, most notably at a national organization’s annual awards banquet in what was then the Philadelphia Sheraton. I called 77’s president when I got home, and he told me that they didn’t have time to check every rated room.

So I asked what they did for my work dues. “We protect you.” “From what?” “Unscrupulous employers!”…….and he hung up on me. I quit after many years of this cr@p plus the discovery that a fair amount of my pension contributions never made it to the books. So the club is definitely not a union room.

When the club first reopened as Covid restrictions were eased a bit, I wore a mask, a wireless boom mic, and a face shield over that. I stayed off the main floor, stood in the far rear corner of the stage, and used only the back door to come & go. The condensation ran down the inside of the shield, and I was pretty uncomfortable - but the joy of playing made up for it. I still wear a mask even on stage, whenever there’s a player with us other than my own band of elderly miscreants.

The science doesn’t change. It’s the body of accrued data that changes by growing and providing a more accurate basis for analysis. The confidence interval around any calculated parameter narrows and estimates become more accurate as the sample size available for analysis increases. So a factor that was not statistically significant in analysis of 1000 patients may turn out to be when there are data on 20,000 patients. One of the main reasons it usually takes years for FDA clearance to market a new drug is that large scale studies were required - and it took time to accrue enough patients to get really tight answers. Covid has been deadly enough and sufficiently devastating economically and socially to justify use of smaller studies when the results were good. But with continued follow up, larger analyses suggested changes.

All this has been hard to explain to the public, and it appears that I'm the only person in the world trying to do that (for which I'm truly sorry). But it’s sound science and the best compromise between speed and safety. The reason it rarely came up before is that routine drugs and problems didn’t justify this approach. That’s why the vaccines first got “emergency approval” only - it was and still is a global emergency. There was no way to know how durable the protection would be without time to measure it. Meanwhile, everybody and his or her brother reads every new post on his or her favorite social media site or news outlet and makes decisions based on insufficient knowledge and understanding to do so.

mRNA vaccine technology has been around for 20+ years - the science is not new, and the amazing effectiveness was predictable on the basis of much research and a lot of sound data accrued over many years. The stuff works very very well by reducing the risk of death, hospitalization, and serious illness from Covid to an amazingly low level with astonishingly low complication rates. Similarly, the J&J vaccine is based on many years of more traditional science and technology and it also reduces death and serious illness from Covid by a huge amount. But it works differently from mRNA vaccines, and it'll take at least a few years and a few hundred thousand long term patients for accurate comparison between the two technologies.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 10-12-2021 at 01:27 PM.

User Info Menu

In Greece right now only vaccinated people can enter clubs, bars etc as customers, but if you work there (as stuff or as a musician) you can do covid tests instead.

They just lifted all other restrictions for two weeks. Time will tell. I see most people that actually do go out behave as if nothing is happening.

Frankly I don't see much live music happening this winter.. except in very controlled places like theaters, hotels, etc.. Music things that need planning and production suffer, especially because here music and musicians have been treated very poorly during these last two years.. All it takes is one guy to have a positive test and everything falls apart..

User Info Menu

I've been doing a couple of gigs a week, mostly outdoors. Indoor stuff requires caution and masking, although in my area we've done quite well preventing the spread. Even so, any news of an uptick and all the businesses post the "masks required" sign until things clear. Senior facilities starting to book, masks for singers and the musicians at least 12 feet from the audience. We'll see how this progresses.

User Info Menu

I had one gig indoor and the other was canceled.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    In Greece right now only vaccinated people can enter clubs, bars etc as customers, but if you work there (as stuff or as a musician) you can do covid tests instead.

They just lifted all other restrictions for two weeks. Time will tell. I see most people that actually do go out behave as if nothing is happening.

Frankly I don't see much live music happening this winter.. except in very controlled places like theaters, hotels, etc.. Music things that need planning and production suffer, especially because here music and musicians have been treated very poorly during these last two years.. All it takes is one guy to have a positive test and everything falls apart..
    I was on a short vacation in Greece this year.
    You had to use plastic gloves when putting the food on the plates.
    Coffee or tea was served only by the bartender.
    I spent most of my time at sea.
    Greece is a beautiful country.I always go back there every year.

User Info Menu

Yes, 3 times.
    A home for the elderly, a funeral and a country fair.

User Info Menu

+1, A!

Interesting since you’re both in Philly that you and Winternoon never hooked up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Interesting since you’re both in Philly that you and Winternoon never hooked up.
    Didn't know that - I'll PM him. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I have 2 of my 4 regular gigs back (still working on one of the others, one is gone for good) and I foresee things not going back to the way it was. I used to do 150-200 gigs a year and now foresee 75-100 being my new normal. Such is life. I will turn 64 in about 6 weeks and always figured that with age, I would need to/want to cut down in any case.

At the end of every gig, when I reflect on the fact that I regularly get paid to play my guitar, I contemplate the fact that I am a very lucky guy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have 2 of my 4 regular gigs back (still working on one of the others, one is gone for good) and I foresee things not going back to the way it was. I used to do 150-200 gigs a year and now foresee 75-100 being my new normal. Such is life. I will turn 64 in about 6 weeks and always figured that with age, I would need to/want to cut down in any case.

At the end of every gig, when I reflect on the fact that I regularly get paid to play my guitar, I contemplate the fact that I am a very lucky guy!
    Hi, S,
    Any restrictions imposed by the venue or local government in re: protocols/mandates?
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, S,
    Any restrictions imposed by the venue or local government in re: protocols/mandates?
    Play live . . . Marinero
    In San Francisco, we still have an indoor mask mandate, not so in Santa Cruz. Both places have a very high vaccination rate and I have had two shots of Pfizer, so I am not worried at all. I look forward to the SF mask mandate going away. Playing a 3 hour gig wearing a mask is not fun for me.

User Info Menu

Didn't know that - I'll PM him. Thanks!
    I believe he’s been working a large ensemble band there for many years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    In San Francisco, we still have an indoor mask mandate, not so in Santa Cruz. Both places have a very high vaccination rate and I have had two shots of Pfizer, so I am not worried at all. I look forward to the SF mask mandate going away. Playing a 3 hour gig wearing a mask is not fun for me.
    I have had two shots of Pfizer too... will you take the third shot?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I have had two shots of Pfizer too... will you take the third shot?
    It is not available to me yet (I am 63 and here you need to be 65 or older, immuno-compromised or a front line health care worker), though if I lied, I could get it. I am not particularly worried, living in two places with a very high vaccination rate and a very low case rate. I am waiting to see how the science develops. It may be my best option to get a third shot of Pfizer (my wife is a front line health care worker and has had her third shot). Or it may be a better option to get a shot of Moderna. Or perhaps doing nothing is the best option. Time will tell, but I feel like hospitalization/death are not a big enough risk for me to worry about it at present. I have had a very rich and rewarding life and taking big risks has made my story one that will see me on my death bed without regrets. I follow the science, not Facebook conspiracy theories. And the science does not have the answers yet. I believe that I have the luxury of time to figure out my next move in that regard. YMMV.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Hooked up - thanks! It turns out that he’s an old friend of the bass player in my jazz trio.

User Info Menu

Last weekend. Private party in a greenhouse turned coffee house/bar/restaurant.

All the guests had to show a QR-code, but nobody asked ours…. So never talk to the band!

User Info Menu

Couple of nursing-home gigs on (and DB and guitar)
    Some distance rehearsals

Our big band should be back onstage tomorrow night. Last month's concert was cancelled because one of the horn players became symptomatic two days after the rehearsal . . .

PJO 11 18 21.PDF

Eager
    Anxious
    Wondering how to play DB wearing a HazMat suit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Last weekend. Private party in a greenhouse turned coffee house/bar/restaurant. All the guests had to show a QR-code, but nobody asked ours…. So never talk to the band!
    Wow! How'd you find a drummer who'll play with a kit smaller than 20 pieces?

User Info Menu

Wow! How'd you find a drummer who'll play with a kit smaller than 20 pieces?
    You make sure cars can’t park close to the stage……

User Info Menu

I had a weekly guitar duo gig outdoors at a restaurant while the weather held this summer/fall, and played sporadically at the same place last summer/fall. I did several online solo guitar/vocal gigs as well.

There's a weekly jam in my neighborhood that moved outdoors to a local park in one afternoon a week last year, which I did when I could get away from work. It added a second session indoors at a restaurant this summer when capacity restrictions were lifted (they check participants' vax status), and I've been doing that consistently. Now that the weather has cooled off, only the indoor is happening, and I've been doing that.

I have gig lined up in mid-December with a guitar/bass/sax trio, but nothing firmed up beyond that.
    Last edited by John A.; 11-18-2021 at 09:42 PM.