The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 177

User Info Menu

My new pet peeve: people who can't play, making videos

I belong to several guitar groups on FB (yes, I still use it) and a lot of them contain people's homemade videos of them playing (or should I say 'attempting to play') various tunes. Some even preface the tune (?) with "this is something I'm working on" and proceed to play something totally unrecognizable for a couple minutes. This morning I saw a gentleman trying to play a well known Miles Davis tune and the only way I knew what it was was because it was stated in the post! I'm thinking, in this age of modern miracles of being able to make movies of everything in our lives, many think they are star quality and get an ego boost out of seeing themselves on the little screen. This is OK, but PLEASE learn to play the material first - the rest of us have other things to do in life than listen to you practice 32 bars of some chord progression that you made up that Aunt Gertie thinks is cool.

Personally, I'm old and ugly and don't belong on video in any form and be well advised that if I ever do post something, either video or just an audio clip, I hope that I have good enough taste to learn the material first.

Please don't get me wrong - this rant is definitely not aimed at anyone on this forum - no bad stuff here.

On another note: I've found that, with the advent of You Tube, I've found that I spend far too much time watching other people play music that I should be playing and working on. Sometimes, it just seems easier to watch and listen to someone else play it. Same with XM Radio - I hear a great Woody Herman arrangement of a tune and think "what's the point of even trying to do anything with it - you can't improve on perfection".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

+1
    ... but I like videos made by profesional musicians...ofcourse not all of them.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

A thing i dislike about Youtube is how much it dominates the music scene nowadays. Most of my students spend a lot more time watching mediocre videos rather than listening to great music. They have the idea that these youtube players/salesmen are the real thing, and are often shocked when introduced to real recording artists.

User Info Menu

That phrase, “This is something I'm working on”, should be taken as fair warning. Real artists in any medium produce finished works.

User Info Menu

Many people use social media for social purposes. They aren't looking to advance a career. They see posting as the equivalent of playing a song for friends at a gathering.

User Info Menu

There are should be a new Community Guidelines rule when you report a video on FB or YT, something like 'butchering a musical piece', so it could be reviewed by stuff and taken down. That will teach 'em!

User Info Menu

I think life's too short to get upset by crap. I just don't watch it.

User Info Menu

huh, ya'll must be using youtube for different purposes than I

User Info Menu

I think it’s cool. You learn a lot from making videos. If only; I don’t know this tune.

OTOH I do wonder about the level of self reflexivity of many posters on some of these FB threads. I don’t mind it too much though haha.

User Info Menu

I’m really not as upset by these videos as much as I am of the genre of people playing solos along with the record.

Make your own bloody music. Grumble grumble.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I’m really not as upset by these videos as much as I am of the genre of people playing solos along with the record.

Make your own bloody music. Grumble grumble.
    yeah, what a waste of time that could've been better spent typing about music

scnr

User Info Menu

Men in shorts are concerning. If you intend to play sitting down, to a camera level with your knees, you should wear proper trousers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    yeah, what a waste of time that could've been better spent typing about music
    scnr
    In seriousness, I would love to be in a position to play more music but I can’t at the moment. I shouldn’t be on this forum as much as I am it’s a poor substitute but it helps.

2020 has been a very difficult year for all musicians.

I hardly feel like a musician at all at the moment, truth be told. And I’m not. The forum helps.

Anyway here’s hoping 2021 is a bit brighter.
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-10-2020 at 08:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    My new pet peeve: people who can't play, making videos

I belong to several guitar groups on FB (yes, I still use it) and a lot of them contain people's homemade videos of them playing (or should I say 'attempting to play') various tunes. Some even preface the tune (?) with "this is something I'm working on" and proceed to play something totally unrecognizable for a couple minutes. This morning I saw a gentleman trying to play a well known Miles Davis tune and the only way I knew what it was was because it was stated in the post! I'm thinking, in this age of modern miracles of being able to make movies of everything in our lives, many think they are star quality and get an ego boost out of seeing themselves on the little screen. This is OK, but PLEASE learn to play the material first - the rest of us have other things to do in life than listen to you practice 32 bars of some chord progression that you made up that Aunt Gertie thinks is cool.

Personally, I'm old and ugly and don't belong on video in any form and be well advised that if I ever do post something, either video or just an audio clip, I hope that I have good enough taste to learn the material first.

Please don't get me wrong - this rant is definitely not aimed at anyone on this forum - no bad stuff here.

On another note: I've found that, with the advent of You Tube, I've found that I spend far too much time watching other people play music that I should be playing and working on. Sometimes, it just seems easier to watch and listen to someone else play it. Same with XM Radio - I hear a great Woody Herman arrangement of a tune and think "what's the point of even trying to do anything with it - you can't improve on perfection".
    Of course nobody’s putting a gun to your head and making you watch. We unaccomplished players have a range of legitimate reasons for posting. You don’t like kindergarten level music, stay out of the kindergarten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Mate I know you were being flippant but let me know why I find this a bit hurtful, though I know it wasn’t intended.

I would love to be in a position to play more music but I can’t at the moment. I shouldn’t be on this forum as much as I am it’s a poor substitute but it helps.

2020 has been a difficult year for all musicians.

I hardly feel like a musician at all at the moment, truth be told. And I’m not.

Anyway lots of people have had a far worse time in 2020. I’ll take this as an indication that maybe I should be more careful what I say to people sometimes. I need to be kinder.

Anyway here’s hoping 2021 is a bit brighter.
    if i understand you correctly there are issues that prevent you from playing your instrument. that's an awful shame and i sympathize. i have spent months in hospitals since summer of 2016, and was unable to leave the house for extended periods of time. 2020 was supposed to be a comeback year.

but learning parts or a complete solo is part of many player's education and posting something on youtube is nothing more than being proud of a job well done. many just use youtube as a study journal. why would you find this more offensive than the posers, the clickbaiters and the second-hand lick salesmen that are all over the place? you can't take someone like beato seriously and then piss all over someone like dutchbopper (or me for that matter). sorry, if you find that hurtful.

if there was never a word spoken on youtube about music again, the world would be a better place.

User Info Menu

I hope you're not talking about me! Music has taken a big dump. Videos are a wonderful way of counteracting the dump for lack of places to play and even losing the purpose to play. Relax. The internet is a big place.

User Info Menu

if i understand you correctly there are issues that prevent you from playing your instrument. that's an awful shame and i sympathize. i have spent months in hospitals since summer of 2016, and was unable to leave the house for extended periods of time. 2020 was supposed to be a comeback year.

but learning parts or a complete solo is part of many player's education and posting something on youtube is nothing more than being proud of a job well done. many just use youtube as a study journal. why would you find this more offensive than the posers, the clickbaiters and the second-hand lick salesmen that are all over the place? you can't take someone like beato seriously and then piss all over someone like dutchbopper (or me for that matter). sorry, if you find that hurtful.

if there was never a word spoken on youtube about music again, the world would be a better place.
    Ah sorry I had no idea you’d posted any videos like that. I can only respond thus:

So understand the spirit in which it is intended, which is tongue in cheek. So I’m guilty of being thoughtless....

That said; regarding the videoing yourself playing a solo; this has become a YouTube genre and tbh I do find it a bit annoying now.

Why? Not because it’s a bad thing to do, exactly the opposite in fact; but because as Bruce Forman pointed out when criticising this type of thing, no one wants to see how the sausage is made.

TBF to all those including myself that do post videos like this, it is very hard to get the same interest in original music that you do in covering someone else’s especially if it is a technically impressive feat.

He suggests we all keep our practice private, and while I can’t say I always follow that advice (to say the least), I think he has a point. He changed my mind about it anyway.

OTOH we live in the world of social media and the personal and public overlap in really a very weird way.

(Also I don’t take Beato very seriously
    not sure where you got that idea.)

User Info Menu

Why? Not because it’s a bad thing to do, exactly the opposite in fact; but because as Bruce Forman pointed out when criticising this type of thing, no one wants to see how the sausage is made.
    no one?

User Info Menu

no one?

hmmmm....

well, cookery shows exist too don’t they?

User Info Menu

hmmmm....

well, cookery shows exist too don’t they?
    ah, what do i know. but i dont agree with forman's statement. i'm a sausage maker, there are few things as enjoyable as watching a sausage expertly being made. and doesn't he have a podcast that is strictly devoted to the art of sausage making? this is all very confusing. and i dont even eat meat...

User Info Menu

ah, what do i know. but i dont agree with forman's statement. i'm a sausage maker, there are few things as enjoyable as watching a sausage expertly being made. and doesn't he have a podcast that is strictly devoted to the art of sausage making? this is all very confusing. and i dont even eat meat...
    Haha

But you got me thinking; I do think music is more like cookery ....

User Info Menu

Haha

But you got me thinking; I do think music is more like cookery ....
    i do as well and have made that comparison many times. the cooking pan is an illusion

User Info Menu

That said; regarding the videoing yourself playing a solo; this has become a YouTube genre and tbh I do find it a bit annoying now.

My dad made an almost indescribably good sausage, blended from a range of meats, some wild, spices, herbs, and even a bit of partial freezing and other mysterious steps. He would give it as Christmas gifts to select friends and family. People would actually come for visits overnight to "see how the sausage is made." Stupid me I took it for granted and never learned "how the sausage was made."

The intolerance for beginners and hobby players who never get to play for audiences except in their homes and who want to reach out to a somewhat wider circle via YouTube are doing no harm, regardless of how many there are. They can simply be ignored by those not in that circle.

I continue to want to know how the musical sausage is made, so I watch and even make such abominable video clips. Nobody is compelled to watch them and they can "ignore" me all they want. I am not surprised that my clips only get watched by people with some interest in or link to my feeble playing efforts, or other fellow aspiring sausage makers.

User Info Menu

Bruce Forman; debunked!

User Info Menu

Right, I’m off to watch some kids playing Holdsworth solos note for note on Instagram. And weep.