The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 177

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    This for me falls into the 'to good to be true' box. I imagine the temptation to speed up the video a little or a lot is too much for many of those that do this kind of thing. I'm open to the possibility that this wasn't sped up, but imo more likely than not, it was. Who has every seen anyone live do this?
    It would get old in 15 minutes. That's why you don't see it live.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

She is clearly a talent...

User Info Menu

I’d second Hep’s advice to go check out her playing generally. I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I’d second Hep’s advice to go check out her playing generally. I like it.
    That is what I'm doing, and enjoying her playing.

User Info Menu

Wow.
    i deleted my post literally after 10 seconds. it's true though. i mean, seriously, what is wrong with you, making such a total bullshit accusation.

User Info Menu

Who has every seen anyone live do this?
    and yes, stuff like this has been played live for crying out loud.

User Info Menu

This for me falls into the 'to good to be true' box. I imagine the temptation to speed up the video a little or a lot is too much for many of those that do this kind of thing. I'm open to the possibility that this wasn't sped up, but imo more likely than not, it was. Who has every seen anyone live do this?
    This might have been sped a little but I see younger musicians this fast all the time and it's definitely not sped up. It's evolution. It used to be called showing off at least in classical.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djg
    and yes, stuff like this has been played live for crying out loud.

Funny, I was planning to post one of Wim den Herder’s videos as a reply too but you were ahead of me.

There are many mind blowing renditions of guys playing over classic jazz solos on the internet.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Is this a thing now? Playing along to a recorded solo for an audience?
    It's fine by me. No show business is bad show business.

User Info Menu

Give her credit she’s up in Tal territory.
    Or do you think his were speeded up?

User Info Menu

Is she, by chance, Benson Picking? I seem to see a lot of the faster players using this technique.

User Info Menu

The track she is playing to is readily available

So the theory is the she speed that down, played to it at a slower tempo and then sped the whole thing up again?

User Info Menu

I did say:

"I'm open to the possibility that this wasn't sped up"

Jeez, this is not life and death. Why the personal ad hominess attack, why so upset that someone said something you don't agree with on the internet?

It's possible she is as fast or faster than Benson, as clean as Benson, while playing more difficult lines, while flying under the radar. It's possible.

And as I listen more, as I've said, I like what she plays. And believe she's for real. Hopefully she'd be flattered, her technique is so good that some think, how is that possible. I saw what was posted of the live playing by the other guy, amazing but not as amazing as what she did though. imo.

I use to think Martino and Benson where the pinnacle of fast clean interesting playing.
    Last edited by fep; 12-18-2020 at 09:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I use to think Martino and Benson where the pinnacle of fast clean interesting playing.
    The kids these days are technically amazing .. I still like Martino tho

And the speeding stuff up thing .. I was actually a huge discussion earlier this year among the shredders, but this girl seems like the real deal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Is she, by chance, Benson Picking? I seem to see a lot of the faster players using this technique.
    Not at all. It's her own variation of alternate picking. It's not some codified method I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Not at all. It's her own variation of alternate picking. It's not some codified method I think.
    It looked like that pick was angled pointing at a diagonal to the strings. I could be wrong.

I am always envious of folks who use this technique and wish I would have learned the guitar this way, sometimes.

User Info Menu

To make good video in aristic way it is a hard work.

User Info Menu

I did say:

"I'm open to the possibility that this wasn't sped up"
    yes, you were "open" to the "possibility" that she is no fraud who cheats fellow musicians on the internet. but you also stated that it is "more likely" that she cheats.
    Last edited by djg; 12-19-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Dutchbopper Guest
    These men are both in their late 70s. You must have missed the last decades with contemporary players such as Frank Gambale, Ulf Wakenius, Bireli Lagrene, Andreas Oberg, Jesse van Ruller, Martijn van Iterson, Eddy Palermo, Matteo Mancuso etc. etc. These guys are just as fast.

Wim den Herder is a countryman of mine who is able to play Oscar Peterson solos in unison before a live audience. He is not a name player even. But he is way faster than anything you hear in (wonderful) vid by Eleanora. In fact I think that this is the fastest playing on guitar ever recorded (correct me if I am wrong). Sure, you can question that and say how much you hate it and bores you but it remains an impressive physical feat that nobody on this here forum will ever duplicate.

DB

P.s. The notion that a serious and schooled musician as Elonora would do an amateur thing like speeding up her vids is ... well ... preposterous. Pros do not think like that.

Here is Oscar Peterson's solo on "Just Friends" from "Live in Russia" played on guitar over the real track. The chorus effect you hear is the unisono with Oscar. He has played this solo live on stage too. Not sped up. He was just a kid when he recorded this.

Last edited by Dutchbopper; 12-19-2020 at 07:14 AM.

User Info Menu

I would say that’s a highly entertaining troll from fep but it appears to have been an earnest comment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I would say that’s a highly entertaining troll from fep but it appears to have been an earnest comment.
    Well ... We went for his throat immediately, so all is as should be

But I get it .. Video rocked his world and he posted what came to mind without thinking too much about it

User Info Menu

Some people can play really fast, get over it? :-)

Speaking of Mancuso, I really like his nylon string playing. Reminds me of Ralph Towner.

It’s impressive to me when these virtuosos have depth to them, as with Eleonora. We aren’t talking about circus tricks ...

there’s another guy on Instagram, turbo bop player but legit. I’ll dig out the name.

There’s other guys like Hristo Vitchev who posts amazing stuff, but I don’t really if there’s a musical context,
    and it’s all presented as a lesson. On Instagram it’s one minute of amazing ness. (Plus there’s been nothing for a lot of them to do apart from practice and transcribe for a year....) sooo the technical bar is stupid now.
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-19-2020 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    These men are both in their late 70s. You must have missed the last decades with contemporary players such as Frank Gambale, Ulf Wakenius, Bireli Lagrene, Andreas Oberg, Jesse van Ruller, Martijn van Iterson, Eddy Palermo, Matteo Mancuso etc. etc. These guys are just as fast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    Thats the fella!

User Info Menu

(TBF there’s also a lot of kids on Insta who think they are the love child of John Mayer and Isiah Sharkey...)