The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 177

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Exactly. It doesn't really matter anymore, the vibe is grump, find a video blogger you want to trash and go to town. Right now Beato is getting beato-up, ouch.
    If you're looking for excitement for any person born after 1960 then you've come to the wrong place

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    If you're looking for excitement for any person born after 1960 then you've come to the wrong place
    Please don’t revise your estimate downwards again or I will have to start looking elsewhere for my daily excitement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Please don’t revise your estimate downwards again or I will have to start looking elsewhere for my daily excitement.

LOL .. I won't ... tho you probably could

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Damn, too old for rocknroll, too young to die, I thought I found the place to get my kicks!

User Info Menu

Damn, too old for rocknroll, too young to die, I thought I found the place to get my kicks!
    Meh .. Anyone that plays a lake placid blue tele is alright in my book

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

TBF to all those including myself that do post videos like this, it is very hard to get the same interest in original music that you do in covering someone else’s especially if it is a technically impressive feat.
    eff original music. dig this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg

As great and impressive as this is, it probably only confirms Christian's point. Play something well known and/or technically impressive and you know you get people's attention much sooner than if you dare to post an original.

User Info Menu

As great and impressive as this is, it probably only confirms Christian's point. Play something well known and/or technically impressive and you know you get people's attention much sooner than if you dare to post an original.
    3800 views in 18 months is not exactly getting "people's attention".

but i do get the point. it's been that way long before the internet. originals are hard to sell in jazz.

User Info Menu

but i do get the point. it's been that way long before the internet. originals are hard to sell in jazz.
    Yea, she's really good. 'I thought I had developed decent skills to play jazz, but I can't touch this' kind of good.

User Info Menu

“Do you ever get tired of music that sounds like music?”

Nah it’s great tbf, I can’t do that lol.

Its very Instagram; it’s full of that stuff, kids doing unreal stuff...

recreation of past glories seems the thing now for many young players; be it Holdsworth or Bud Powell. Kids are looking for something; real? Authentic? Traditional? Nobody seemed to give a shit about Barry Harris 15 years ago; now he’s a YouTube star. He’s a meme for crying out loud!!

Jazz becomes classical music. Pasquale Grasso is the new thing, and as impressed as I am, that’s what it is.

All that said; I’d be interested to hear it without the Hampton track behind.

User Info Menu

In London seems like it’s either; so and so band play this classic album, or it’s contemporary originals. Not much room for creative originals in the straightahead vein, or standards played in a contemporary way.

User Info Menu

All that said; I’d be interested to hear it without the Hampton track behind.
    Listen to her other videos, she's for realz. Even more impressive for me that she plays tradish jazz and not a trace of Gypsy picking or anything like that. Very much alternate picking and sounds great! That's how I always wanted to pick but no, I can't match her speed and precision. But it's nice to see there is other way.

User Info Menu

Listen to her other videos, she's for realz. Even more impressive for me that she plays tradish jazz and not a trace of Gypsy picking or anything like that. Very much alternate picking and sounds great! That's how I always wanted to pick but no, I can't match her speed and precision. But it's nice to see there is other way.
    I took my comment down because I thought it came across a bit arsehole-y.

What I wanted to indicate is that thing sort of exists in a bubble of its own. With COVID the bubble is more or less the thing.

The online world is very important now and shapes music to its own agenda. The ‘super impressive transcription video’ for instance whether I like it loathe it, is firmly established as a thing budding musicians do, and out-do so to speak.

Anyway what are young players for if not to shred the crap out of their instruments?

User Info Menu

I took my comment down because I thought it came across a bit arsehole-y.

What I wanted to indicate is that thing sort of exists in a bubble of its own. With COVID the bubble is more or less the thing.

The online world is very important now and shapes music to its own agenda. The ‘super impressive transcription video’ for instance whether I like it loathe it, is firmly established as a thing budding musicians do, and out-do so to speak.

Anyway what are young players for if not to shred the crap out of their instruments?
    Yea, you are right, those transcription 'play along' videos are annoying as hell, I tend to ignore them. But I thought her technique on old archtop was awesome, I dont recall many guitarists playing like that, so checked her other stuff. I dig it, if only because she doesn't try to sound like anyone in particular.

User Info Menu

I see a lot of similar videos nowdays, another unique youtube music trend! Here's one of mine, hopefully it stays unlisted..

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Alter;1083489]I see a lot of similar videos nowdays, another unique youtube music trend! Here's one of mine, hopefully it stays unlisted..
    [/QUOTE

LOL! That is funny! I needed that laugh!

User Info Menu

Whenever I start trying to play fast it ends up sounding like the "Woody Woodpecker" theme song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Whenever I start trying to play fast it ends up sounding like the "Woody Woodpecker" theme song.
    not a bad thing per se

User Info Menu

It is not all about men in shorts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I see a lot of similar videos nowdays, another unique youtube music trend! Here's one of mine, hopefully it stays unlisted..
    Nice playing, although I heard a couple of wrong notes in the 97th chorus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    At 0.25 x speed it sounds like Miles, only better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Nice playing, although I heard a couple of wrong notes in the 97th chorus.
    Those aren't "wrong" notes. They are "tension" or "rub" notes. I use them rather liberally.

User Info Menu

This for me falls into the 'to good to be true' box. I imagine the temptation to speed up the video a little or a lot is too much for many of those that do this kind of thing. I'm open to the possibility that this wasn't sped up, but imo more likely than not, it was. Who has every seen anyone live do this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    This for me falls into the 'to good to be true' box. I imagine the temptation to speed up the video a little or a lot is too much for many of those that do this kind of thing. I'm open to the possibility that this wasn't sped up, but imo more likely than not, it was. Who has every seen anyone live do this?

oh, man, this place sometimes....

User Info Menu

yes, it is rather obvious that she does not respect the music, is too lazy to put in the hours, and is willing to cheat for the youtube clicks.

iN otHeR worDs yoU aRe a moRoN
    Wow.