The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 177

User Info Menu

First, if I may be so bold, I think Skip is writing about "not-so-good aspiring Jazz" players uploading videos that are not very good. I also question these players a little, unless they are doing it as part of a study group or something. I would hope that they at least upload their best take or at least have reached a point where they can show some "decent" progress with the song before they start uploading, unless it is their intent to realistically show where they are at. Then, they probably should not say "excuse the mistakes," since mistakes are a part of learning.

Second, is Christian talking about people playing along with a recorded version of the song or with backing tracks. I think those are 2 different topics.

I find that when I hear someone playing with a recorded version, trying to match it note-for-note (especially some rock song), it can be a bit trying as well if they don't do a good job.

But what the heck, life is too short and if that makes them happy, more power to them. Doing something harmless like this to help one's attitude is better than languishing in depression or anxiety - especially for an extended time. Before I upload, it will darn well be what I am trying to say or I will keep practicing until it is "presentable" enough (unless its some sort of study group or something).

My thoughts.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You are right of course AlsoRan, but I figured this was a thread for grumping.

User Info Menu

The problem is that a lot people/non musicians/ looking at "the music products" ...who tell them what is good or bad?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Men in shorts are concerning. If you intend to play sitting down, to a camera level with your knees, you should wear proper trousers.
    yes that is the thing that offends me way more than any playing. Male crotch shots, yuk!

User Info Menu

What the HOLY CRAP STEVE!!! This is NOT a political topic. CRAPP!!!!!! This pisses me off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    The problem is that a lot people/non musicians/ looking at "the music products" ...who tell them what is good or bad?
    Why does it matter? Do you want a Board of Censorship and Quality Assurance that grades videos so people know if someone somewhere things one is "good" and other "bad"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Why does it matter? Do you want a Board of Censorship and Quality Assurance that grades videos so people know if someone somewhere things one is "good" and other "bad"?
    ... and don't forget the "ugly" !
    Yes, pun ! but not only.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    What the HOLY CRAP STEVE!!! This is NOT a political topic. CRAPP!!!!!! This pisses me off.
    Seems like guys in California are always pissed off about something. We have unemployment, economic devastation and Covid-19 in Nevada too.

User Info Menu

My dad made an almost indescribably good sausage, blended from a range of meats, some wild, spices, herbs, and even a bit of partial freezing and other mysterious steps. He would give it as Christmas gifts to select friends and family. People would actually come for visits overnight to "see how the sausage is made." Stupid me I took it for granted and never learned "how the sausage was made."

The intolerance for beginners and hobby players who never get to play for audiences except in their homes and who want to reach out to a somewhat wider circle via YouTube are doing no harm, regardless of how many there are. They can simply be ignored by those not in that circle.

I continue to want to know how the musical sausage is made, so I watch and even make such abominable video clips. Nobody is compelled to watch them and they can "ignore" me all they want. I am not surprised that my clips only get watched by people with some interest in or link to my feeble playing efforts, or other fellow aspiring sausage makers.
    Absolutely. Many of them never had the opportunities that I had.

User Info Menu

Do this. Don't show your face if you can avoid it;

He's rockin' a Fender Bassman amp. That sound fills me full of lust. I want to go to bars and get in all kinds of trouble.
    I love Youtube.

User Info Menu

It's in my best interest not to post videos. Some stuff on Soundcloud is OK. I haven't given up all hope yet about performance culture. Maybe I should. IDK. I'd have a problem with people videoing at some place where I was playing.
    Get that @$ing cell phone out of my face. This isn't that kind of club.

Security! We got a trouble maker here..

User Info Menu

OK OK. I said I was sorry.

User Info Menu

It is impossible...this is youtube...music freedom.

User Info Menu

I record a lot of videos of me working on tunes on my iphone then upload them to my google drive and then to my youtube account but I keep most all 99.99% private so only I can view them or send a link to a friend if I want to. But I only add tune after tune of the greats to my playlist, I don't even much know anything else exist on youtube except the artist I look for to add their music to a playlist. SO all this other hoopla doesn't exist in my little world and being a mediocre player at best I keep to myself

User Info Menu

The intolerance for beginners and hobby players who never get to play for audiences except in their homes and who want to reach out to a somewhat wider circle via YouTube are doing no harm, regardless of how many there are. They can simply be ignored by those not in that circle.
    Yes.
    The intolerance, a bad vibe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    That phrase, “This is something I'm working on”, should be taken as fair warning. Real artists in any medium produce finished works.
    True, though they also make rough drafts. Anne Lamott stressed the importance of "shitty first drafts" to the creative process.

Posting them on Facebook is another matter... For that, though, since it is worthwhile to record oneself (to mark progress later), if that's what it takes, then I'm not bothered. (But I'm not going to sit through a lot of it, either.)

We all suck to begin with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    I record a lot of videos of me working on tunes on my iphone then upload them to my google drive and then to my youtube account but I keep most all 99.99% private so only I can view them or send a link to a friend if I want to.
    I've heard other people say they do this too. Very convenient. And private. (Private as you wanna be!) And a convenient way to share. The only way to collaborate from a distance is to send sound files back and forth. Maybe a guitar riff (only), or a bassline, or a drum groove. It's all bits and pieces until it comes together in a whole that seems organic and natural but like sausage and laws, you might not enjoy seeing how it was made.

User Info Menu

I deleted the post.

User Info Menu

There are a lot of videos from music shops.
    Most of them looks the same-guitar with efects/distortion.
    Rock music market?
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    There are a lot of videos from music shops.
    Most of them looks the same-guitar with efects/distortion.
    Rock music market?
    Best
    Kris
    That's my pet peeve. I was looking an amp. Would you please just play the clean sound.

User Info Menu

'................................ the posers, the clickbaiters and the second-hand lick salesmen that are all over the place? you can't take someone like Beato seriously and then piss all over someone like dutchbopper.'

Can someone please explain what this is even supposed to mean?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    '................................ the posers, the clickbaiters and the second-hand lick salesmen that are all over the place? you can't take someone like Beato seriously and then piss all over someone like dutchbopper.'

Can someone please explain what this is even supposed to mean?

User Info Menu

Man came into the bar... yeah I remember... real oily customer. Said he was a second hand lick salesman on YouTube....

*record scratch*

wait a second; aren’t all the licks we learn off records second hand???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    That's my pet peeve. I was looking an amp. Would you please just play the clean sound.
    Amen, Brother Steve...

User Info Menu