The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

For those interested - here is a link to the YT home page of the Jazz Loft. The Jazz Loft is all about the preservation, education and performance of jazz music. It’s located in a beautiful old stone building in Stony Brook NY and contains a Museum of jazz memorabilia. The upstairs of the building is where the entertainment takes place.

I encourage all members to subscribe and enjoy what they have to offer.

The Jazz Loft - YouTube

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice! I wish that were there when I attended SUNY @ Stony Brook between 1972 and 1976. (Back before the university had planted anything green and we called it Muddy Brook.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    For those interested - here is a link to the YT home page of the Jazz Loft. The Jazz Loft is all about the preservation, education and performance of jazz music. It’s located in a beautiful old stone building in Stony Brook NY and contains a Museum of jazz memorabilia. The upstairs of the building is where the entertainment takes place.

I encourage all members to subscribe and enjoy what they have to offer.

The Jazz Loft - YouTube
    A great big band I both play in and write arrangements for was booked to play there before the pandemic began. I don't know if it will reopen, but they were so desperate to keep it going, musicians were playing in their cars around SB while one guy would drive. Then they'd stop and get out of the car, and play for people on the street and take donations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Perdido
    Nice! I wish that were there when I attended SUNY @ Stony Brook between 1972 and 1976. (Back before the university had planted anything green and we called it Muddy Brook.)
    I went there from 76 to 78 to finish up my BA. There was no jazz there back then either. There was so much weed around back then, we called it Stoned-out Brook.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I went there from 76 to 78 to finish up my BA. There was no jazz there back then either. There was so much weed around back then, we called it Stoned-out Brook.
    And the Bridge to Nowhere! But I did catch a Keith Jarrett concert on campus, as well as the Ron Carter Quartet concert there. And I believe Marian McPartland lived nearby and taught some classes there on occasion.

(Another LawnGuylander! Seems we just missed each other on campus. Didn't you and I once discuss Ziggy Allen? But we digress ....)

User Info Menu

And the Bridge to Nowhere! But I did catch a Keith Jarrett concert on campus, as well as the Ron Carter Quartet concert there. And I believe Marian McPartland lived nearby and taught some classes there on occasion.

(Another LawnGuylander! Seems we just missed each other on campus. Didn't you and I once discuss Ziggy Allen? But we digress ....)
    Oh yeah, I remember talking about ZA with you.
    I was speaking as a music major there, hopefully you were smart enough to major in something else. The music faculty there hated jazz for the most part.
    The Bridge To Nowhere- I definitely took that while I went there.

User Info Menu

unfortunately, stonybrook univ has the highest amount of covid cases in the ny state college/univ system at present

it's legend/infamy continues!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    unfortunately, stonybrook univ has the highest amount of covid cases in the ny state college/univ system at present

it's legend/infamy continues!

cheers
    If that's true (I couldn't find it on any searches), at least they have a huge hospital on campus to treat any patients. It's the biggest hospital in Suffolk County.

User Info Menu

Ah, memories. I went there 76 to 80 and caught Pat Metheny Group, Weather Report (in the gym -- have you guys been back, seen the new "gym"?; student union though, so sad), Charles Mingus, Larry Coryell solo, and McCoy Tyner. All amazing.

I passed on Billy Joel, a mistake.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzinNY
    Ah, memories. I went there 76 to 80 and caught Pat Metheny Group, Weather Report (in the gym -- have you guys been back, seen the new "gym"?; student union though, so sad), Charles Mingus, Larry Coryell solo, and McCoy Tyner. All amazing.

I passed on Billy Joel, a mistake.
    The closest I've been to SUNY in the last 40 years is to bury my folks in Calverton.

User Info Menu

I had a neighbor attend there around 1975. He majored in Marine Biology.

User Info Menu

Sweet ES175 guitar tone from the guitar player.