The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

O.K. We all need some Funk. Who's playing like this today?

Play live! . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From the bandstand is supposed to be about personal bandstand advice or experiences. Anybody here gigging this stuff?? In the past?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    From the bandstand is supposed to be about personal bandstand advice or experiences. Anybody here gigging this stuff?? In the past?
    Hi, CG,
    I didn't know that. Perhaps the Mods will place it elsewhere. However, I doubt anyone is playing Funk anymore. . . probably because they'd have to know how to play an instrument . . . by the way, CG . . . is a microphone an instrument? How about a computer? Play live! . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hi, CG,
    I see they're making albums. I wonder if they tour? Do they have a vocalist? Tight horns! Play live! . . . Marinero . . . and I'm beginning to wonder WHEN????? This has been a great blow to performing musicians of all ilks. There is no substitute for playing live!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, CG,
    I see they're making albums. I wonder if they tour?
    Who's touring? You know a secret we don't?

User Info Menu

Hi, CG,
    I didn't know that. Perhaps the Mods will place it elsewhere. However, I doubt anyone is playing Funk anymore. . . probably because they'd have to know how to play an instrument . . . by the way, CG . . . is a microphone an instrument? How about a computer? Play live! . . . Marinero
    Yes, totally true. Nobody can play funk anymore, or anything that takes skills. Today musicians just all trying to master Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and don't go beyond that. It's terrible world we living in.

User Info Menu

Still got the original 45 and I still play it. I hadn't seen that video before so thanks for that!

User Info Menu

I know you're Play Live exhortation isn't in response to this specific track - which has long been one of my favourites - but was there ever a horn section that was so obviously NOT playing live?

User Info Menu

Who's touring? You know a secret we don't?
    Feel better after that brilliant observation, CG? Good! Play live! . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yes, totally true. Nobody can play funk anymore, or anything that takes skills. Today musicians just all trying to master Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and don't go beyond that. It's terrible world we living in.

Hi, H,
    Isn't it interesting how, so often, truth resides in irony? Now, why don't you tell me about the Funk/Soul/R@B revival worldwide and how much the average musician playing in these genres was making before the CV and what his prospects are for employment after this madness is over. Some of us have a perspective of time that younger players like yourself, just do not have. And, in regards to live music as a profession, I would have to agree with your last line. A sad reality, as revealed in another discussion on JGF, is that only 1.1% of the population buys Jazz albums---10.6% for [email]R@B(• Music album consumption in the U.S. by genre 2018 | Statista)

And, what percentage of those totals represent "Smooth Jazz," or "Rap R@B?" What would the true numbers really be? Here's some great R@B from your generation.
    Play live????? . . . Marinero

Last edited by Marinero; 08-16-2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: deletion

User Info Menu

Oh god it’s this fucking thread again.

Please, don’t reply. It’ll only encourage him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Oh god it’s this fucking thread again.

Please, don’t reply. It’ll only encourage him.
    Hi, C,
    Have you been recently promoted to Moderator? I can only imagine how interesting JGF would be if that were the case. You sound like a political party we have in the USA where politically correct speech is strictly controlled by the Party line. Why did YOU need to reply? Perhaps you should take your own advice rather than telling others how they should respond according to your vision of the world.
    Play live????? . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Candy Dulfer, Mingo Fishtrap, a few years ago the Meters were doing some touring. My favorite.... they tour some (rarely ) but they have house gigs all over Las Vegas...... Santa Fe and the Fat City horns. They are an incredible live experience..... Check any of them out on You Tube.

User Info Menu

COVID getting to you, marinero? or are you auditioning for Moderator?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    COVID getting to you, marinero? or are you auditioning for Moderator?
    Hi, RJ,
    Neither. . . although I would like to get back gigging again. A friend of mine went to an open beach bar/restaurant over the Labor Day weekend and there were some high decibel guitar bangers playing with face masks. I don't know that I'll ever really be ready for that restriction. Let's hope this ends soon but don't forget . . . many venues will be hurting for awhile and performance opportunities could be scare and low paid. . . Ummm . . . . to think about it again . . . maybe nothing has changed!
    Play live without masks . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I played my first gig since March last week with a mask on: no negative effects, including singing. It was for senior citizens so the mask is absolutely essential.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ronjazz;1061421]I played my first gig since March last week with a mask on: no negative effects, including singing. It was for senior citizens so the mask is absolutely essential.[/QUOTE

Hi, RJ,
    I've never played nursing homes or senior centers but I would assume you could play wearing a space helmet and get the same response. Sadly, I don't mean this as a mean-spirited response, but a reality. I visited a friend once in a very upscale retirement facility and we went to the dining area to hear a very excellent Classical pianist. In a group of twenty in the audience, the majority were sleeping while the rest were looking around the room apparently somewhere else. It was a very depressing experience. I hope your gig was different. Play live . . . Marinero