User Info Menu

This is all in fun but a reality check. I spent 34 years in Dept of Human Services. My day gig. We determined who was eligible for Food Stamps now called SNAP. I can say I am an expert at this......unlike the guitar.

Right now the gross monthly income limit is $1778 per month for one person. More if over 60 or considered disabled.

Assets in general largely do not count unless they are making you money. A $10000 IRA you have is fine as is car and home.

That is $21,334 or so a year. Based on the thread of gigging guitarist and cost of L5’s. You probably are eligible. Also you 1924 Lore L5 worth $100,000 is exempt you need it for business. Your $6000 Wesmo and Les Paul for louder gigs exempt if you don’t have a 1924 Lore, including amp and things related. In fact if you have a $10,000 Martin D45 exempt also because once in awhile you do a blue grass gig.

If you have a rich girlfriend you live with who makes big$$$. No problems you buy and prepare food separately so get SNAP. Her $100000 a year job means nothing. Just don’t marry her and claim you buy and have to provide for yourself.

I am not joking at all and if you have family with kids........may still be very eligible depending on spouse income and if you happen to make better money gigging.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A public service, thanks.

User Info Menu

SNAP does help. Plus, I'm old, and get a lot of free s&&t---the one silver lining of the Golden Years. A monthly box of food from Philabundance; another from the Jewish Relief Agency; an easy chair and microwave from another seniors org. No rich GF needed. She'd have to put up with a lot being with me anyway, so...

No complaints here, except maybe that I'm too goddamn fat...