The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 58

User Info Menu

I really don't want this to turn into a political diatribe since I DID NOT post it for that reason. But, rather, I am curious how other musicians feel/think about this topic. I had an inquiry about playing a wedding gig(Classical) next month: two sets--one before the ceremony and, the second, before/during the meal. It pays $300. although I don't get my normal 15 minute breaks. I can live with that but, my state of residence just mandated wearing a face mask in all enclosed, public venues, including weddings, and I am conflicted over this issue since it makes me feel like it's an extreme exercise in absurdity since I would be separated from the audience, in both cases, by at least 30 feet and I don't like the idea of masks ,in general, unless I'm in a very closed/constricted, and vulnerable space. I haven't committed yet, but I think I'm going to turn the gig down. I also think it looks stupid and there is a breathing issue while playing. What do you think?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think the breathing issue is bogus. It's not like you will be doing vigorous exercise. How it looks is also a cop-out, since everyone else should be wearing masks. If you don't want the gig, fine. If it even still goes then, with the way the virus is spreading. Whether you turn it down or accept it, deciding because of the mask requirement is not a valid excuse. People will be walking by near you, without question. Wear a damn mask in public to prevent spreading the virus to others.

User Info Menu

It sounds like you've already decided you don't want to do it.
    But I personally don't see why masks should be the thing that decides it. It's just a bit of cloth.
    I wore a protective mask while insulating my loft. I wear a face covering on cold winter days when I cycle to work. I even once wore a dusk mask when recording some ultra-quiet minimalist avant garde music to minimise the sound of my breathing. (I heard that Irvine Arditti from the Arditti Quartet has often had to do the same thing, he's too heavy a breather for his violin mic!)

And you won't look stupid if everyone else is wearing one too. Personally I'd be thrilled just to be allowed out to play a gig - we can't do that here in the UK. And not only to play a gig, but get paid a decent enough fee too.

User Info Menu

You're going to wear pants right? You've even talked about wearing tuxedos. A mask is just another piece of clothing. If you are not in a high risk group I think you should take the gig.

User Info Menu

It's great (*) that you've even got the option. As Matt said, we don't have that option in the UK. At least it shows that live music is edging back in some geographies.

(*) Assuming that it's been worked through and it's safe. From what I hear there are record number of new cases in the US, so this does come as a surprise to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    It's great (*) that you've even got the option. As Matt said, we don't have that option in the UK. At least it shows that live music is edging back in some geographies.

(*) Assuming that it's been worked through and it's safe. From what I hear there are record number of new cases in the US, so this does come as a surprise to me.
    Yes, you need to be willing to take the chance with a decent probability of getting the virus. For the young and healthy this is a reasonable position as long if you're responsible about wearing masks per the CDC guidelines to protect others. That's about the best we can hope for the way the U.S. population is behaving, better than we can hope for actually.

If you're older or in some other high risk group, let someone who is young and healthy have the gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    I really don't want this to turn into a political diatribe since I DID NOT post it for that reason. But, rather, I am curious how other musicians feel/think about this topic. I had an inquiry about playing a wedding gig(Classical) next month: two sets--one before the ceremony and, the second, before/during the meal. It pays $300. although I don't get my normal 15 minute breaks. I can live with that but, my state of residence just mandated wearing a face mask in all enclosed, public venues, including weddings, and I am conflicted over this issue since it makes me feel like it's an extreme exercise in absurdity since I would be separated from the audience, in both cases, by at least 30 feet and I don't like the idea of masks ,in general, unless I'm in a very closed/constricted, and vulnerable space. I haven't committed yet, but I think I'm going to turn the gig down. I also think it looks stupid and there is a breathing issue while playing. What do you think?
    I wouldn't want to be indoors with a crowd for any substantial length of time.

There is research (from a restaurant in China) that shows people downwind (recognizing that the HVAC is moving air) of an infected person got infected. There is no reliable data on the probability of infection at different distances in that circumstance.

If you happen to be sitting next to the air intake, all the air is flowing near you and you're at higher risk. How much risk? That's not known.

Then, there's the psychological issue. Some of the guests may be nervous. Even if they're overestimating risk, it's hard to criticize them for it, given how much isn't known about transmission. So, I think, even if you think there's no risk, and even if you're right (which you can't be sure of), there's still a reason to wear a mask to put other people at ease.

So, if you don't like the order to wear a mask, and you're uncomfortable playing in one, I'd say, this isn't the gig for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I wouldn't want to be indoors with a crowd for any substantial length of time.

There is research (from a restaurant in China) that shows people downwind (recognizing that the HVAC is moving air) of an infected person got infected. There is no reliable data on the probability of infection at different distances in that circumstance.

If you happen to be sitting next to the air intake, all the air is flowing near you and you're at higher risk. How much risk? That's not known.

Then, there's the psychological issue. Some of the guests may be nervous. Even if they're overestimating risk, it's hard to criticize them for it, given how much isn't known about transmission. So, I think, even if you think there's no risk, and even if you're right (which you can't be sure of), there's still a reason to wear a mask to put other people at ease.

So, if you don't like the order to wear a mask, and you're uncomfortable playing in one, I'd say, this isn't the gig for you.

Hi, RP,
    I'm in agreement with your above ideas but hadn't considered the HVAC system factor. Thanks. I do have a real issue with claustrophobia so wearing a mask has been a problem with me and I feel ,generally, uncomfortable when I need to wear one to take care of business throughout the week. However, performance has always been something special for me and I truly question what effect it might have on my playing. I know it's not a concert venue and most people won't really be listening but I always aim for my personal best musically. As far as others remarks about wearing a tuxedo . . . I don't, but do wear tuxedo pants and shirt(for Classical gigs) and hardly consider it to be in the same category as wearing a mask. I have a few days to commit and I appreciate any other ideas to consider. This plague that has beset the world may transform the way we do business/art forever. Thanks all for the sincere replies . . . Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

If it pays decent then that's pretty much the decider,at least for me. But make sure it pays enough for your hassle!

User Info Menu

In these times I would not want to be drawing a crowd, myself.

User Info Menu

The mask is mainly a symbol that you are willing to protect others. Wear it that way, proudly!
    I wear it everywhere where needed – supermarket, restaurants et al. – though I have gone through a Corona infection already and thus it doesn't make sense from a medical point of view. I wear it to show that I care.

I talked to some friends and they told me that the first gig offers are coming in again – mostly outdoor. Now I feel a bit lazy because all we managed to do was one rehearsal. Then I don't rely on gigging as my main source of income ...

User Info Menu

Some small outside gigs are starting to happen here too, but anything major like festivals or anything involving summer tourism, hotels, island gigs etc, is still non existent. My closest gigs are a festival and some gigs around it towards the end of July, but it still remains to be seen if they happen..

If I was in an area where the epidemic is very active, and in an age group considered dangerous (which I'm close to), I don't think I would do gigs right now. They are so sparse that it's not worth the risk anyway.

User Info Menu

So, some really great thoughts here but I wonder . . . has anyone here performed a gig recently with a face mask? I'm not overtly paranoid about contagion but it certainly does exist. And, is this going to be the new reality for those who are performers? And, if others feel as I do, how will this effect performers in the future? I have a feeling this virus is going to be with us for some time and perhaps, like Disco in the late 70's/80's, it will ring, yet, another death knell for live music. And, what about the Symphony and Opera? Are these concerns unrealistic? Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

So, some really great thoughts here but I wonder . . . has anyone here performed a gig recently with a face mask? I'm not overtly paranoid about contagion but it certainly does exist. And, is this going to be the new reality for those who are performers? And, if others feel as I do, how will this effect performers in the future? I have a feeling this virus is going to be with us for some time and perhaps, like Disco in the late 70's/80's, it will ring, yet, another death knell for live music. And, what about the Symphony and Opera? Are these concerns unrealistic? Good playing . . . Marinero
    I haven't gigged in a long time. And I can't answer your other questions. Having said that, I just finished three months of volunteer stuff and wore a mask throughout, but if I had any doubts - as you seem to have - I wouldn't have hesitated to give it a miss. Peace of mind is as valuable as any other kind of health.

User Info Menu

So, some really great thoughts here but I wonder . . . has anyone here performed a gig recently with a face mask?
    To Gig or not to Gig... That is the Question!-ca43f018-5d53-4ece-bedb-03bf65a14afa-jpg

User Info Menu

Perhaps you can wear a mask when socializing, walking around, setting up etc, and remove it when playing. Use a music stand, amp, guitar case etc to create some distance between yourself and the audience..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Perhaps you can wear a mask when socializing, walking around, setting up etc, and remove it when playing. Use a music stand, amp, guitar case etc to create some distance between yourself and the audience..
    Hi, A,
    This is what I was trying to do with the prospective customer and I would have no problem with this approach. However, our new State mandate, as of Friday, requires masks to be worn inside in ANY restaurant, business, or event with a monetary fine and possible imprisonment for any violations. I just don't see any way that I can avoid it and, unless there is another way to handle this, I will have to turn down the gig. Although, I wonder how I'd look with Graham's prized mask in my classical dress? Do you think I could growl when playing "Ave Maria??????????." Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

My experience has been that masks differ a lot in comfort.

I found a bandanna hampered breathing, but the blue surgical masks are manageable, and I have biked and run in them.

User Info Menu

Have you been tested very recently?
    i and many others are immuno suppressed due to medication, I’m sure there will be one or more there. It’s not something we advertise... it’s very misunderstood by the general public.
    if you’re carrying, even if asymptomatic and manage to infect one of us, regardless of age, we are dead in days.
    human up and wear the mask for us, and be thankful you’ve got a gig when so many don’t.

User Info Menu

Your job is not to look handsome for the people. It's just to make pleasant noises for them. They don't care how you look. But if you're truly terrified of masks, just turn the gig down and forget about gigging for the foreseeable future. Let someone else make some money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Your job is not to look handsome for the people. It's just to make pleasant noises for them. They don't care how you look.
    Personally, I disagree with this, unless you're hidden in an orch pit below deck. But not intending to debate on this. Your opinion is as valid as mine. I just think that if you are on stage, you're meant to be looked at as well as listened to. That is a different situation than being tucked away in a corner to provide background music. i.e. it varies with the gig. You wouldn't wear a t-shirt and jeans to play tucked away in the corner of an upscale restaurant. So face mask is part of the dress code statewide for some of us. That is just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    But if you're truly terrified of masks, just turn the gig down and forget about gigging for the foreseeable future. Let someone else make some money.
    100 percent agree with this. There are a lot of things I'm not planning to do for the forseeable future. Gigging is an important one, but that's just how it is. I love to play, and I love to gig, but I am thankful that I can still do the former without doing the latter till the time is right. I am looking at this situation as an opportunity to shed on stuff that I might not have time for if I was gigging actively.

I'm not claustrophobic, so the mask is not a big deal for me, but I understand that your situation is different, Marinero. I wish you the best with this complicated decision.

Whatever you decide, wishing you Good Playing :-)

SJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Have you been tested very recently?
    i and many others are immuno suppressed due to medication, I’m sure there will be one or more there. It’s not something we advertise... it’s very misunderstood by the general public.
    if you’re carrying, even if asymptomatic and manage to infect one of us, regardless of age, we are dead in days.
    human up and wear the mask for us, and be thankful you’ve got a gig when so many don’t.
    Hi, J,
    I get it and I do wear the mask. However, I don't breathe well when wearing one and it gets hot and muggy in short time. I'm killing the gig tonight with the people unless they put me in an air-conditioned glass cage . . . geez . .. that sure sounds like Orwell's "1984!" Thanks everyone for the great replies. Where the Hell is all this going? Good playing . . . without a mask . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

"Your job is not to look handsome for the people. It's just to make pleasant noises for them." Sgo

Hi, S,
    You obviously don't play Classical gigs. It is a long-standing tradition to wear white tux shirt/pants ,if not, white starched, collared shirt/black pants for Classical gigs. For me, I do strictly solo gigs and charge above-market rates for my services. When I show up for a gig, I look and play like a professional. And, because of this, I easily develop repeat and referral business which means ,after a short time, you don't have to "cold call" to get jobs. People call you.
    If I play a Jazz/Bossa gig, I usually wear nice dress slacks and shirt--even a sport/leather coat in cooler weather. I believe that we are both musicians and entertainers and a professional look pays rewards. It has nothing to do with your skills but I'm not into the dirty t-shirt/blue jeans mentality of the starving artist/rocker/C@W crowd . . . simply because I'm not.
    I hope this is clear. Good playing . . , Marinero

User Info Menu

Thank you for responding Maniero, I hoped I wasn’t too strident.

how about some gig clothes laughs.

Used to be an organist at a church a 15 minute bike ride from home. Only open in the summer. I left a pair of slacks in a closet that I could pull over my bike shorts. The organ was up in front so visible to most everyone.
    came in one Sunday am and the slacks are gone. A bit of a panic here! Played four masses in a nice tight pair of Izumi bike shorts. Could not wait till it was over.

Preist says to me afterwards ‘hey I found a nice pair of dress pants in the closet, took them home and they fit perfectly.’

User Info Menu

"Your job is not to look handsome for the people. It's just to make pleasant noises for them." Sgo

Hi, S,
    You obviously don't play Classical gigs. It is a long-standing tradition to wear white tux shirt/pants ,if not, white starched, collared shirt/black pants for Classical gigs. For me, I do strictly solo gigs and charge above-market rates for my services. When I show up for a gig, I look and play like a professional. And, because of this, I easily develop repeat and referral business which means ,after a short time, you don't have to "cold call" to get jobs. People call you.
    If I play a Jazz/Bossa gig, I usually wear nice dress slacks and shirt--even a sport/leather coat in cooler weather. I believe that we are both musicians and entertainers and a professional look pays rewards. It has nothing to do with your skills but I'm not into the dirty t-shirt/blue jeans mentality of the starving artist/rocker/C@W crowd . . . simply because I'm not.
    I hope this is clear. Good playing . . , Marinero
    Agree. This falls under what I refer to as "get the easy stuff right". It's easy to dress nice, be on time, be courteous. This is true no matter what job/career you are in.