The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58

User Info Menu

I'm noticing that the mask's holder rings that go behind my ears seem to fool some part of
    my mind so that I unconsciously imagine I'm wearing sun glasses. Girl watchers beware!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    I'm gonna vent now, so please allow me to:

People can do what they want, but I'd rather get out of the business than take another job with a moron---and weasel like the guy I worked with tonight. For one thing, we were all roaming around outdoors, masks down, shaking hands, food being served gloveless---with this godamn scourge. I'm seriously afraid of getting this thing b/c of playing gigs like this---loose like that. The restaurant and crowd were cool, food was good, owner an OK guy.

But this 'leader'---I can't stand anything about him, his sad playing (drums), his asking me questions that are none of his business. I had fair warning b/c I mentioned that he gave me s$$t a while ago when he got wind that I had a gig and got a good drummer---like I owed the MF my life b/c he gave me a $50 gig. I didn't answer his idiotic texts that time, being a gentleman and a pro. But he pushed me to the point of no return tonight. The guy is so desperate for a gig he takes sad money, then gives me double his---and my share is still sad. Then he has the balls to ask me for my tip money! I had to hold back from knocking his ass out, I was that pissed. The tip money almost made it decent, bread-wise. And he kept on saying 'we should get a bass player'. I told him get us more money first---though if the bass player had any kind of time it would make my job a hell of a lot easier. I had to stop once and yell at him for rushing, then start again. The rest of the gig I tried to ignore him, but in fact carried him.

I'm sorry to be so sensitive and complain when hardly anyone's working. But I'm also answering the OP: unless it's gonna be music with musicians in a safe space (if there is such a thing) hell no, I won't go. Luckily I don't need the money that bad---to get this upset. Aside from the safety piece, we must have standards, musical ones and of behavior of co-workers. Work with pros, not amateur weasels---we've put way too much into this, most of all our hearts. And Covid won't last forever. The streaming thing is the way to go right now, and may supersede live work even when it's safe again. Owners are getting murdered behind this.

I hope everyone is safe and well. Just got home, and put some Tom Harrell on to chill...

User Info Menu

"I'm sorry to be so sensitive and complain when hardly anyone's working. But I'm also answering the OP: unless it's gonna be music with musicians in a safe space (if there is such a thing) hell no, I won't go . . . , we must have standards, musical ones and of behavior of co-workers. Work with pros, not amateur weasels---we've put way too much into this, most of all our hearts. " Joel

Hi, J,
    Well, first let me say that it takes great honesty and awareness to reveal these sensitive feeling and realities. And, these are words that only a professional musician could express since he has traveled the road and has real perspective. We are, perhaps, in a real upheaval in what it means to be a professional musician. The tables are turning, the ground is rumbling, and the way we make music--especially as professionals, may be changed forever. Anyone who has been in the game for the last 50 years knows that quality music--Jazz and Classical, are dying. We see it in the pathetic programs Classical venues are forced to promote(Broadway musicals, idiot entertainers posing as musicians ie: the Bill Murray Show, Pops Music programs) in order to keep their doors open and continue to carry a modicum of quality music for sophisticated listeners. And, in Jazz, where Big Bands are all but dead and buried, Jazz Clubs on life support and we, as musicians, are still performing and listening to the music written 50 years ago by long dead musicians and composers. And, now, the greatest test, perhaps ever, where the very essence of all quality music--playing with other quality musicians in real life scenarios, may be forever changed if not eradicated by public order.
    In reality, music has never been an easy game, even for the talented few. However, these new restrictions may well be the death knell for live music. Perhaps, as Joel mentioned, we will all become virtual musicians in years to come but, if this is the case, we will lose the magic that only performing with other musicians live can afford. I gave up on ensemble playing over 30 years ago--not because I didn't love it, but rather that I was tired of low-paying gigs, irresponsible peacocks and divas, cheating club owners, and the union that never got your money owed but rather blacklisted the clubs as other union musicians continued to play the venues without repercussions. And, since then, I have made more money as a soloist booking my own gigs with less time involved than I ever made when gigging steady with a band.
    So, nothing lasts forever. But one should ask: what would Life be without live music and how long will it take for our lives to become ensconced in the single-plane world of vicarious, virtual reality? The times are a changin.'
    Good playing . . . Marinero

P.S. Classical Music? Pity the musicians who played this gig!

https://youtu.be/zWD5hVfgImc

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    "I'm sorry to be so sensitive and complain when hardly anyone's working. But I'm also answering the OP: unless it's gonna be music with musicians in a safe space (if there is such a thing) hell no, I won't go . . . , we must have standards, musical ones and of behavior of co-workers. Work with pros, not amateur weasels---we've put way too much into this, most of all our hearts. " Joel

Hi, J,
    Well, first let me say that it takes great honesty and awareness to reveal these sensitive feeling and realities. And, these are words that only a professional musician could express since he has traveled the road and has real perspective.
    Yeah, thanks. I was venting, and probably shouldn't have. Bad for the karma to 'forward' negative thoughts. But I was physically and spiritually ill after it. Started to politely text that it would be better if he found someone else. But why bother, make him feel bad, risk repercussions? If he calls again 'sorry, I'm booked. Thanks for the call, though'.

I think the biz will eventually rebound to where there will be viability and options. It was on me to succumb or not , b/c I had prior bad experiences with this guy. Lesson learned, and I will henceforth live by the credo Mel Lewis told a friend of mine:

'If it's not music, f it!'...

Geeze for $300 I'd wear this getup if the client wanted...

To Gig or not to Gig... That is the Question!-9353-jpg

joelf Guest
    Crucible for me will be this Thursday: streaming concert (see Announcements); hot studio with 7 musicians in an enclosed space, probably sharing mics, b/c their will also be discussion.

I've made my mind up: if it's 90%+ in there the mask stays up, as long as I can handle it. The right message has to be sent in both music and performer behavior----streaming to who-knows-where?

(Wish me luck!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Crucible for me will be this Thursday: streaming concert (see Announcements); hot studio with 7 musicians in an enclosed space, probably sharing mics, b/c their will also be discussion.

I've made my mind up: if it's 90%+ in there the mask stays up, as long as I can handle it. The right message has to be sent in both music and performer behavior----streaming to who-knows-where?

(Wish me luck!)
    Hi, J,
    Good luck! However, I hope you won't be wearing Old Guitar Player's mask! Good playing . . . Marinero

P.S. Have you ever heard the term "masochist?" This is a sad state for live performers. M

joelf Guest
    I hope some of you guys tune in, and (choke, sputter) maybe kick in a few semoleans. Good group, and we'll be in intense, uncomfortable heat in there from what I hear...