The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Agree. This falls under what I refer to as "get the easy stuff right". It's easy to dress nice, be on time, be courteous. This is true no matter what job/career you are in.
    Hi, F,
    I once played in a great R@B band in Chicago(guitar/bass/trombone/sax/drums/vocalist) for about a year. The lead vocalist ,WC, was one of the best I've ever played with and was on par with Wilson Pickett, Johnny Taylor, Al Green, Sam and Dave, etc. and could have become famous were it not for his inability to show up for gigs on time and sober. We lost many repeat gigs after the first night from owners who wanted the show to start on time--despite our great sound. Eventually, I left to join a 10 piece Jazz/Rock big band. I never heard about WC again on the Chicago circuit. Sad. Good playing . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    I'm lucky, b/c the Jazz Foundation is paying me for a steady in a hospital. I'm staying home, of course.

I played a streaming solo concert on the 18th. There were people inside and outside, masks down---including mine. Getting lax, and that's dumb.

I'm trying to get together a concert for Peace, Healing, and Change w/top Philly performers. We will be in an event space w/no audience but the streamed one. How can the singers and horn players wear masks performing? It's a risk---but for a good cause if we uplift people and raise money for charity.

But I should have drawn the line at accepting a $50 gig w/an amateur drummer. He's hard to play with (rushes, doesn't know basic rhythms). He blasted me with an angry text when I hired a real drummer for a gig ('Where's you f'ing loyalty?!'). And it's outdoors, people milling around, masks down. I'm gonna get out of it. Risk my health for $50 and a no-playing MF? No-brainer...

User Info Menu

"But I should have drawn the line at accepting a $50 gig w/an amateur drummer. He's hard to play with (rushes, doesn't know basic rhythms). He blasted me with an angry text when I hired a real drummer for a gig ('Where's you f'ing loyalty?!'). And it's outdoors, people milling around, masks down. I'm gonna get out of it. Risk my health for $50 and a no-playing MF? No-brainer..." JoelF

Hi, J,
    Love it! Good playing . . . Marinero

joelf Guest
    I may do one----just to scope the risks out. If it doesn't seem kosher I'll bail. Everyone eating outside, probably close. I really don't need the $ that bad...

User Info Menu

At this point, everyone who has been awake more than a couple of hours in the past four months is aware of masks and the reasons for wearing them, even if they personally disagree with wearing a mask and believe it is some sort of governmental overreach impingement on their freedom. 40,000 new infections a day in the United States, which is probably about 10% of the true number, demonstrates the reason for wearing a mask. As noted above, the mask is not likely to be more helpful in protecting others from us.

Everywhere you go, there are people in masks. Somebody wearing a mask in a tuxedo playing a classical guitar recital is not going to surprise anyone. There are people wearing them testifying in front of Congress which seems to be a more formal occasion than a concert.

User Info Menu

"Everywhere you go, there are people in masks. Somebody wearing a mask in a tuxedo playing a classical guitar recital is not going to surprise anyone. There are people wearing them testifying in front of Congress which seems to be a more formal occasion than a concert." Cunamara

Hi, C,
    Thanks for your reply. I'd like you to do an experiment. Sit down with a group of your friends and play 45 minutes of "set" music(actual songs, not improvisation) wearing a mask. If it doesn't bother you and interfere with your concentration and playing, you're a better man than me. I've tried it for 10 minutes to see if I could play this gig and couldn't do it. It interfered with my breathing and concentration and it was hot. I play many pieces from memory and about 50 selective pieces that I sight read depending on the mood of the audience/venue. I share your concerns about contagion but playing in this manner, for me, is an exercise in absurdity. And, again, tee shirt or tux, the clothes don't matter in regards to performance. Nor does the formality of the event. I believe this is a real issue for performing musicians.
    Good playing . . . Marinero

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    "But I should have drawn the line at accepting a $50 gig w/an amateur drummer...And it's outdoors, people milling around, masks down. I'm gonna get out of it. Risk my health for $50 and a no-playing MF? No-brainer..." JoelF

Hi, J,
    Love it! Good playing . . . Marinero
    I took it. WTF? Decided to try it once, to scope out if the people are all over, maskless, especially descending on where we play and acting stupid. If that's the case, I'll politely back out.

OTOH, I may be surprised by together owners and customers doing the right thing, which would be quite something in the dog days. Would go quite a ways to restoring my faith in people.

Only one way to find out...

User Info Menu

Good luck, J! Good playing . . . Marinero

P.S. And, then there's the case of the drummer! Boom, chuckaluckala, boom, chuckalluckala.

User Info Menu

I played at a wedding recently. With a mask...

To Gig or not to Gig... That is the Question!-bildschirmfoto-2020-07-03-um-18-50-48-png

It was extremely warm and very uncomfortable. But my gig was just 20 minutes. And I went swimming in a lake afterwards ;-)

What was even weirder then the mask was, that I wasn't allowed to use their electricity.

I didn't understand, if this was due to corona or something else.
    But the good thing was, that there were just about 15 people allowed to attend the ceremony. So I could borrow a Roland MicroCube from my music-school and use batteries. Not the best sound, but they were satisfied with my service...

User Info Menu

I really don't want this to turn into a political diatribe since I DID NOT post it for that reason. But, rather, I am curious how other musicians feel/think about this topic. I had an inquiry about playing a wedding gig(Classical) next month: two sets--one before the ceremony and, the second, before/during the meal. It pays $300. although I don't get my normal 15 minute breaks. I can live with that but, my state of residence just mandated wearing a face mask in all enclosed, public venues, including weddings, and I am conflicted over this issue since it makes me feel like it's an extreme exercise in absurdity since I would be separated from the audience, in both cases, by at least 30 feet and I don't like the idea of masks ,in general, unless I'm in a very closed/constricted, and vulnerable space. I haven't committed yet, but I think I'm going to turn the gig down. I also think it looks stupid and there is a breathing issue while playing. What do you think?
    There is no breathing issue except in the heads of those claiming that, and there are now many masks to choose from; my wife makes beautiful ones. You're cutting off your nose to spite your face, as far as I can see. Man up, mask up, and give the folks your best, they will love it.

User Info Menu

"Your job is not to look handsome for the people. It's just to make pleasant noises for them." Sgo

Hi, S,
    You obviously don't play Classical gigs. It is a long-standing tradition to wear white tux shirt/pants ,if not, white starched, collared shirt/black pants for Classical gigs. For me, I do strictly solo gigs and charge above-market rates for my services. When I show up for a gig, I look and play like a professional. And, because of this, I easily develop repeat and referral business which means ,after a short time, you don't have to "cold call" to get jobs. People call you.
    If I play a Jazz/Bossa gig, I usually wear nice dress slacks and shirt--even a sport/leather coat in cooler weather. I believe that we are both musicians and entertainers and a professional look pays rewards. It has nothing to do with your skills but I'm not into the dirty t-shirt/blue jeans mentality of the starving artist/rocker/C@W crowd . . . simply because I'm not.
    I hope this is clear. Good playing . . , Marinero
    wow, I guess you've never heard of John Williams. While I agree that it's professional to not wear dirty or unkempt clothing, I have played hundreds of classical gigs, and the only time I've bothered with a tux is when I'm featured with an orchestra if they are in tuxes. and a mask is not a part of your ensemble, it is a social necessity in a time of global pandemic. Get a good-quality, black mask and give the people your best. Most will be happier than if you weren't wearing a mask.

User Info Menu

Hey ronjazz.......
    There is no breathing issue except in the heads of those claiming that,

Except for those of us with Interstitial Lung Disease and about a 40% reduction in capacity.
    An N95 mask is like being choked. I sat through my first haircut since December this morning with one, couldn't talk to the pretty young lady doing the cut. Sadness indeed.

Good thing I am not gigging any longer, I'd have to bring my O2 bottle lol.
    And no I never smoked.

d

User Info Menu

If you already have lung disease, you had better get a good mask and wear it faithfully. A properly fitted N95 might not be enough. If you catch the covid virus with already impaired lungs, your death is not far in the future. Use of an oximeter with and without a mask will show how little your oxygen level is really affected by the mask.

User Info Menu

Hi sgosnell and thank you very much for your concerns!

All being done, thank you. I’m very fortunate to be under the care of Johns Hopkins for a Vasculitis that attacked my lungs rather than my kidneys. Small comfort. (Feels so old discussing this stuff.)))
    Mine came on no warning, MicroPolyAngiitis. If I had been admitted anywhere but Hopkins I doubt I’d be discussing anything here. Pretty much isolated at home, in a bubble. Was quite a treat to be out to get my hair cut. She came in alone to meet me at 0800 and I was long gone before anyone else came in.
    My oximeter and are are very close friends... we communicate all day long. It’s my first warning if there’s trouble.
    Since you seem to understand this stuff, I will take the luxury to keep going...
    i am on Actemra, Rituxan, and Imuran. As a result I have no - nada - CD19 or CS 21 cells. And WBC/ABS counts are below 600. So you 100% correct, I will be gone in a day if Covid finds me. Four years of high prednisone has left me unable to play for more than 30 minutes a time. All sounds pretty dire lol.

So my post back to ronjazz was to make him/people aware that there is more under the sun than they know about and a little thought/compassion goes a long way.

thanks again for trying to help...take care!

d

User Info Menu

I find masks both uncomfortable (they make my nose run) and a bit claustrophobic, but I do wear one when I am indoors in a public place. It is important that we all do so and I have no problems with their use being mandated (I am a libertarian full stop, but I also recognize that my right to swing my fist ends at the tip of your nose). I had to spend 90 minutes getting a banking problem handled the other day and was not comfortable both because of the mask and because I started to feel that being inside for that long was putting myself at risk (I saw a few bank employees take their masks down when they were not with customers).

I probably would not take the gig in question under the circumstances described by the OP myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    wow, I guess you've never heard of John Williams. While I agree that it's professional to not wear dirty or unkempt clothing, I have played hundreds of classical gigs, and the only time I've bothered with a tux is when I'm featured with an orchestra if they are in tuxes. and a mask is not a part of your ensemble, it is a social necessity in a time of global pandemic. Get a good-quality, black mask and give the people your best. Most will be happier than if you weren't wearing a mask.

Hi, RJ,
    I've never worn a tux to a gig. I wear a pleated, white, mandarin collar, tuxedo shirt and tuxedo pants. I've always tried to look professional when I play a Classical gig and it has paid off handsomely over the years with repeat and referral business. However, I just cant do the mask for any length of time. It doesn't work for me. Last night, I watched the Air Force Band on the 4th of July celebration at Mt. Rushmore . . . no masks. As far as John Williams, in my opinion, he is a consummate musician and brilliant technician, however he lacks the personal warmth and emotive qualities that make profound music as is the case with artists like Pavel Steidl, Ricardo Gallen, Roland Dyens, The Assad Brothers, Fabio Zanon, Ben Verdery, and Marcin Dylla . He also has a little faux hipster in him with his dress, at times, and his attempts at "crossover" music leave me cold. But, that's another subject. Thanks for your reply. Good playing . . . Marinero

joelf Guest
    Good luck, J! Good playing . . . Marinero

P.S. And, then there's the case of the drummer! Boom, chuckaluckala, boom, chuckalluckala.
    And now I have to miss a way hipper streaming thing with real players, that I'd do for free, and it would be good exposure b/c the leader is well-respected and has a following. Damn!

Maybe we'll get fired. (Remember the Temptations' I Wish it Would Rain?)

User Info Menu

Here in France, everything is a 'concert' - small or large. Occasionally, a festival gig may be styled a 'spectaculaire'. Jam sessions are termed 'beufs'. Don't ask!

joelf Guest
    Starting to really worry now about that outdoor gig w/all the spiking going on after the govs jumped the gun and re-opened (with moron Trump winking, of course) way too soon. Even the Texas governor pulled back, sensibly closing bars again, etc.

I'm almost 66, in pretty damn decent health and want to stay that way. I've already become somewhat of a slacker, keeping the mask down unless people are afoot---masked or not. I played a streaming concert a few weeks ago---mask down and all kinds of unmasked people milling around, other performers and an audience sitting outside, no masks. Risky, and, arguably, stupid. My luck's gonna run out unless I smarten up.

But we also have to go on living, so the avoidance dance continues: mask up when people approach, always looking over my shoulder, no getting in elevators with even one person. It's wearing me down, and I come home from errands in a dark, angry mood.

So I'll play this once and vet very carefully. Want to make it to 86+, and I haven't come close yet to accomplishing all I want in life, let alone taking in the lands of this earth I haven't visited yet...

User Info Menu

1) Surgeons seem to have no problem wearing surgical masks w/o passing out onto their patients so I'd expect classical guitar while seated shouldn't be an issue.

2) Not wearing a mask will come off as disrespectful to the wedding party and guests, and probably as a political statement that may upset the happy couple and their guests.

User Info Menu

My band resumed rehearsal (masks and distancing) a while back. We've resumed outdoor gigs (masks and distancing), but we are turning down the indoor gigs at this time.

User Info Menu

We did a folk singaround in the park recently. Outdoors, it was a nice day. Only 6 people, sitting with two metres distanced. We wore masks while each person sang. Most of us removed their mask when it was their turn to sing (listeners keeping theirs on, although most joined in on the choruses in true folk singaround fashion). Two of us (including myself) kept their masks on when it was their turn to sing lead. Mine was a lightweight disposable mask. We sang for several hours. It was fun. I find the longer you have a mask on the easier it gets.

I genuinely don't understand why someone performing instrumental music, not singing, would find it a problem. If you have a background in musical theatre or drama you'll have had to sing or play an instrument in all sorts of costumes. I played a halloween gig once (singing and playing guitar) while wearing a rubber zombie mask.

I've gigged in rock bands when I've had food poisoning, flu, or no sleep. I'm sure many musicians will have been in the situation of having had to play when you can't hear what you're playing, or not being able to hear the vocalist, or the drummer or whatever. You use visual cues or rely on the particular bandmembers that you can hear.

Worst gig I ever played with a band was in Bradford where the local venue had a special all you can buffet deal with the excellent local curry house. Delicious Indian food. We all tucked in like pigs. Needless to say, trying to sing and play Led-Zep style rock with bulging bellyfuls of bhuna, tikkha, saag and naan is less than ideal.

User Info Menu

" I played a halloween gig once (singing and playing guitar) while wearing a rubber zombie mask." Matt

Hi, M,
    This is, perhaps, one of the worst gigs of which I've heard I've heard in my life! Congrats to you! You're a tough guy!

joelf Guest
    " I played a halloween gig once (singing and playing guitar) while wearing a rubber zombie mask." Matt

Hi, M,
    This is, perhaps, one of the worst gigs of which I've heard I've heard in my life! Congrats to you! You're a tough guy!
    I wish I would've worn full masks so as not to be seen playing with some of the people I've had to over the years! And a hatch to escape through quick just in case anyone did recognize me...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I find masks both uncomfortable (they make my nose run) and a bit claustrophobic, but I do wear one when I am indoors in a public place. It is important that we all do so and I have no problems with their use being mandated (I am a libertarian full stop, but I also recognize that my right to swing my fist ends at the tip of your nose). I had to spend 90 minutes getting a banking problem handled the other day and was not comfortable both because of the mask and because I started to feel that being inside for that long was putting myself at risk (I saw a few bank employees take their masks down when they were not with customers).

I probably would not take the gig in question under the circumstances described by the OP myself.
    Right, I feel the same way. I can't stand wearing the things. Of course, it is only for a few minutes at a time. I am glad that there is a statewide order to make it mandatory inside all businesses at the current time. It makes sense. I wear it for my grocery shopping (15 minutes) and take it off immediately after (it's 95 here today). So it's not problem, but then again I am not attending parties and gatherings.

But, playing a three hour gig wearing that?
    Marinero, I don't blame you. skip the gig man. Do something fun.