User Info Menu

Anybody familiar with this supposed to presented on an NPR music program next month?
    .My wife sent it to me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There's a great back story to that concert in Robin D.G. Kelly's biog: Thelonious Monk--the Life and Times of an American Original. Briefly, it was a HS student whose idea it was, and who got his brother to drive the group to the gig (Monk had to work that night elsewhere in CA). It delves into racial issues in the aftermath of the concert.

Read it. It's one of the all-time jazz biog champs...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That biography of Monk is a model for how biographies should be written. It manages to be exhaustive in detail but absorbing to read, placing Monk in the context of his family, his peers, the economics of jazz, the consequences of being an iconoclast, societal changes going on at the time, etc. It is really a tour de force of biographical writing. Must have taken the author years to put together.

Agreed. Just an incredible book. Part of it's success is that Robin Kelley had the cooperation of Monk's family, which previous authors did not, and that helps to give more context and illuminate his later struggles with mental illness.
    Reading the book, for me, was like living day-to-day with Monk. And there's a lot of fascinating material about others in Monk's orbit: the Baroness, Dean Benedetti, Harry Colomby, etc.
    Cannot recommend it highly enough.