The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

^ leitch was/is such a treasure..so sad that ill health has plagued him...not just a great player, but a great composer...& beyond just guitar music! he writes & arranges jazz music!!

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ^ leitch was/is such a treasure..so sad that ill health has plagued him...not just a great player, but a great composer...& beyond just guitar music! he writes & arranges jazz music!!

cheers
    He's still writing.

Good photographer, too...

joelf Guest
    50 pages into the Gourse. Nothing wrong with it really, but it's barely holding my attention. To be fair, I got the facts from the Kelley, so no slam on Gourse, but nothing new.

Kelley has the goods---a masterful work. You may want to go with that one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    50 pages into the Gourse. Nothing wrong with it really, but it's barely holding my attention. To be fair, I got the facts from the Kelley, so no slam on Gourse, but nothing new.

Kelley has the goods---a masterful work. You may want to go with that one...
    in all fairness, gourse book was out years before kelleys...sure latter was influenced by it!!

as a student of history, i also realize, that often the biographies closest in time to the subject are the more accurate...time has a way of twisting perspective...you may believe it or not! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

in all fairness, gourse book was out years before kelleys...sure latter was influenced by it!!

as a student of history, i also realize, that often the biographies closest in time to the subject are the more accurate...time has a way of twisting perspective...you may believe it or not! haha

cheers
    When you're dealing with a Monk, just remember history is written by the vicars...

joelf Guest
    I'm liking it more. The last few chapters are very good, with interviews w/people Kelley didn't get to, like Larry Ridley (well, hewas in the Life and Times, but this is more in-depth).

(And I've never been celebrated for my patience)...

User Info Menu

Monk features heavily in the 2009 documentary 'The Jazz Baroness', about the life of Pannonica "Nica" de Koenigswarter. Made by her great niece Hannah Rothschild, with Helen Mirren narrating Nica's words. A good film, available on DVD and online rental. I daresay there are some clips on YouTube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Monk features heavily in the 2009 documentary 'The Jazz Baroness', about the life of Pannonica "Nica" de Koenigswarter. Made by her great niece Hannah Rothschild, with Helen Mirren narrating Nica's words. A good film, available on DVD and online rental. I daresay there are some clips on YouTube.

joelf Guest
    I've seen this, it was quite good.

I was in that house, helping Barry with a concert (and in Monk's room, too---another story for another day). Nica was still alive, but elsewhere that day (in 1983). It's really true about the cats. An endless stream, and I'm allergic!...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

great solo acoustic (nylon) take of monks- well you needn't

(obscure) bill harris-1950's

cheers

joelf Guest

(obscure) bill harris-1950's

cheers
    Wow----thought it was gonna be the trombone player on Woody's band. Never heard of this guy. Good player for sure. Thanks...

User Info Menu

Frisell Haden Baker

User Info Menu

Mike Neer's Steelonious is well worth hearing. Mike interprets Monk through the lens of multiple steel guitar genres.

Mike Neer | Steelonious | CD Baby Music Store

User Info Menu

bill harris
    Great stuff - had to ask the internet who he was but...

I restarted the Kelly book when I was around 200 pages in so I could listen to the music being discussed as it came up, been listening to Monk since I bought the Blue Note double album when I was 16, got the Gourse book on order.

Gary Wittner's 'Monk For Guitar' is waiting for to to man up...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I like the scene in the dressing room where Nica says 'I've got you a present'

Monk says 'is it money ? she's a millionairess you know'

& Nica gives him a pen...

She of course did a tremendous amount for Monk & many others, her book 'Three wishes' is good too...

User Info Menu

Anybody familiar with this supposed to presented on an NPR music program next month?
    .My wife sent it to me.

User Info Menu

joelf Guest
    There's a great back story to that concert in Robin D.G. Kelly's biog: Thelonious Monk--the Life and Times of an American Original. Briefly, it was a HS student whose idea it was, and who got his brother to drive the group to the gig (Monk had to work that night elsewhere in CA). It delves into racial issues in the aftermath of the concert.

Read it. It's one of the all-time jazz biog champs...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That biography of Monk is a model for how biographies should be written. It manages to be exhaustive in detail but absorbing to read, placing Monk in the context of his family, his peers, the economics of jazz, the consequences of being an iconoclast, societal changes going on at the time, etc. It is really a tour de force of biographical writing. Must have taken the author years to put together.

Agreed. Just an incredible book. Part of it's success is that Robin Kelley had the cooperation of Monk's family, which previous authors did not, and that helps to give more context and illuminate his later struggles with mental illness.
    Reading the book, for me, was like living day-to-day with Monk. And there's a lot of fascinating material about others in Monk's orbit: the Baroness, Dean Benedetti, Harry Colomby, etc.
    Cannot recommend it highly enough.