The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 81 of 81

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    As far as timing with a looper goes, I've played many thousands of gigs with live bands; most produce tempo variations during performance. The art of looping a backing track doesn't need metronomic time, it needs your foot to hit the switch at the right time. You'll then be playing over a typically imperfect, human backing. Unless your time is really atrocious, even you as the player won't really notice.
    That's pretty much true.

I've played a lot of solo gigs with a live loop pedal and timing hitting the buttons with your foot is often more crucial than keeping perfect time...but having a good metronomic sense of time will help with both the backing track AND when to hit the on , off or overdub pedals.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS
    That's pretty much true.

I've played a lot of solo gigs with a live loop pedal and timing hitting the buttons with your foot is often more crucial than keeping perfect time...but having a good metronomic sense of time will help with both the backing track AND when to hit the on , off or overdub pedals.

User Info Menu

With summer coming up I've been practicing my repertoire and have send out my first emails looking for solo gigs today.

Once I finish teaching at the end of June it'll be all systems go.

I play a little jazz, a little classical, some originals, folk and pop etc.

Ibanez AFJ85 into a Roland of some sort (I have several). I've gotten many compliments about the sound of this set up.

In fact I receive many compliments about my playing. I am certainly no Joe Pass but I do play in time unless it's a rubato intro or ending.

Frequently I am grateful for all those that have complimented my sound or playing over the last few years. It helps to make it all worthwhile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS
    I had a Boss RC30 for several years and loved it for select solo gigs. But it (like some others I've tried) seemed to have a time correction built in when you use the built-in rhythm beat. When I hit the pedal to record, play, overdub or stop, I think it corrected minor time errors if I was a tiny bit early by running the bar out.

The only problem I had with it was that it's very, very hard to use a looper with even one other player. I tried it on duo gigs with a great bass player, and one of us often ended up a tiny bit "out of the loop". And I never found a drummer who could stay with it for more than one or two choruses before losing it, even with IEMs or great stage monitors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    And I never found a drummer who could stay with it for more than one or two choruses before losing it, even with IEMs or great stage monitors.
    I've been meaning to try this with a drummer. I seem to be able to play to my own loops very easily.

User Info Menu

Drummers with studio experience often play with click tracks, and can function with a looper as long as there is a click somewhere, like a cowbell or cross-stick sound consistently. In order to play with a looper in a group situation, everybody needs a click track.