The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 81

User Info Menu

Your experience reminds me of a gig in Manhattan where I was specifically hired to play solo JAZZ GUITAR
    for a very expensive affair for some wealthy art dealers at some huge venue.
    I thought that this was gonna be a great gig, playing jazz for Manhattan's elite, and being paid extremely well for it.
    I set up and started playing Ellington, Monk, etc..., and then the woman in charge runs up to me and says,
    "I wanted you to play JAZZ GUITAR!"
    I told her I was playing jazz guitar.
    She said, "No! JAZZ GUITAR! Like Mame, Hello Dolly, something lively!!!!

I realized she meant corny show music = JAZZ GUITAR.
    I went into my standard medley of Mame Cabaret NY NY Hello Dolly etc... and she didn't bug me again.

Maybe that's what your 'client' wanted...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Not familiar with the looper in the Boss ME80, but on most looper pedals you only have to be exact the first time, all additional loops follow that length. If you can tap your foot you can do the looping. Also not all switches are the same, for my foot the Boss ones were more exact than the DIgitech ones for example. I also exaggerate when tapping the switch, hit it hard so i 'm sure it will work. Needs a bit of practice. I think it is more difficult to be able to play a whole chorus by yourself without speeding up or slowing down. That needs time to build if someone hasn't worked a lot with a metronome.
    Thanks. What I've wondered about (and haven't been able to do) is to take a solo in a small group (say quintet) and loop the first chorus so I can solo against what I played. It's hard to nail the after-first-chorus click and then the band has to stay with that loop.

User Info Menu

Instead of looper, hire a human. Folks will do anything to get a gig. Will you mop the restroom when yer done playin??....sure$$$

User Info Menu

If I may ask, how do you get the loop to be exact? When I try, using my Boss ME80, I find it difficult to click accurately enough to nail the time. Is there a trick to that?
    I had small TC Electronics ditto.

I had no problem with the loop being exact almost immidiately... I am not sure if it is connected with looper construction or me...
    Ditto has button control - not pedal like Boss -

It is very practical and reliable if all you need is just straightforward looping (it has no quantitiy of loops or time limitations if I remember correctly).

User Info Menu

I have a friend who has done occasional solo gigs. His "rule" is that it never works if you don't play at least some music that the audience recognizes and it doesn't matter how well you play the stuff that they don't recognize.

dave

User Info Menu

All IMO:

If one were playing at a "jazz" event (club, festival, whatever), then the audience is likely there to listen to "jazz" (whatever style), with some "blues" thrown in for good measure. You can play a jazzy version of a pop tune, and they'll probably get it, and they'll smile and nod their heads, and people will generally be happy (assuming you're halfway decent!).

At any other event (bar, coffeehouse, farmer's market, corporate gig, restaurant, fund raiser, etc. etc.), people are not there primarily to listen to you, but to be present at the event, and (in general) they will not be a "knowledgeable jazz audience." On top of that, I'm convinced most normals (i.e., non-musicians) have a hard time recognizing instrumental melodies of vocal tunes! You can play this week's Billboard Top 10 (instrumental, "jazz" versions), and someone will then ask, "Hey, do you know any Jonas Brothers tunes?" and your response will be, "Uh, we just played three of their tunes!" "Oh," the person will say, "I didn't hear that." Because of that, I'm further convinced you don't "need" to have a bunch of jazzy pop tunes in your repertoire or song list (since no one will recognize them!) -- unless you like the tunes and want to play them, of course! People are talking/eating/whatever, and not intently listening to jazz-infused melodies, so you can't win, unfortunately, if the owner or booking agent says, "Play something we know!"

I have too many examples of this from too many gigs, with the latest being: playing with an 8-piece horn band, led by a local, high school music teacher who did excellent arrangements of -- you guessed it! -- modern pop tunes! [I didn't know most of the tunes, but my kids did.] After a show -- not a jazz event -- the booking person came up and said, "Hey, you guys were great, thanks! Maybe next time you can play some other songs that people like .." The band leader was crushed (he works with kids, and knows what they listen to, and that's what we played!).

So, either: (1) make it 100%, crystal clear with the agent what you are going to play, so there are no questions/disgruntled comments (even though someone will still be displeased); (2) don't play non-jazz events (if you are playing jazz); or (3) learn to sing and play guitar, and/or get a singer, and everyone will be happy! [Tip: if you want regular gigs, option #3 may be the best.]

User Info Menu

I've learned quite a lot from this thread and for me it's very timely. Thanks to all the posters.

We do need a thread on using loopers on gigs. As well as including something like a BeatBuddy and using a midi clock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    I've learned quite a lot from this thread and for me it's very timely. Thanks to all the posters.

We do need a thread on using loopers on gigs. As well as including something like a BeatBuddy and using a midi clock.
    There was one a while back.

Looper Gigs

User Info Menu

Jake Reichbart is a member of this forum and master of solo guitar in today's world, with a steady solo gig in Ann Arbor, MI for nearly 30 years. The thing that really separates him from the pack is his ability to play across styles, mixing a Joe Pass style solo tune with "lively" contemporary pop the next tune, and not falling into the "all rubato, all the time" trap that plagues solo guitarists. He's got hundreds of Youtube videos and lessons. Check him out:
    Jake Reichbart - Jazz guitarist, Guitar lessons, Fingerstyle guitar arrangements

User Info Menu

Thanks "Unknown guitar player" above for the plug! :-) Indeed, I have dedicated my life to solo guitar and have made (and continue) to make a living off it. Anyone wishing to sample the breadth/depth and scope of my work is welcome to visit my YouTube channel here Jake Reichbart
    - YouTube
    (or just google me...) and if anyone was interested in the many teaching materials I have, whether through Hal Leonard, Mike's Masterclasses, Trufire or, best of all, the materials I publish directly, they are welcome to email jake.reichbart@gmail.com Thanks! Jake Reichbart
    Here is a sample...

User Info Menu

Yet, some folks think you would sound better using a looper....

User Info Menu

I think you are the only one on this thread that suggested that..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Yet, some folks think you would sound better using a looper....
    everyone knows 'true bypass' makes you sound better!

User Info Menu

nobody is forced to use a looper. nobody is forced to succeed as a soloist. however, if one chooses to use a looper to succeed as a soloist, and the result is success, then there is no reason to allow the naysayers to interfere with one's success. a looper can pay for itself in one gig, and then be free for as long as it lasts. As a pro for 5 decades who has played thousands of gigs with live bands and who still prefers to do just that, the looper pedal allows me to essay much of the same vocabulary I use with a group; this is satisfying and fun, and most gigs are only a couple of hours. the culture of jazz changes, the culture in general changes. if band gigs dry up as they have in the last 15-20 years, the technological developments can keep us fed if we choose to explore them.

joelf Guest
    I've done a LOT of solo playing---gigging, busking, you name it.

I've tamped way down on the jazz and especially taking choruses. I just view it in a blue collar way now: I'm in the people-pleasing business. So I've taken to playing many tunes by rote---the exact same way every time. It's non-creative, and a fraction of what I'm capable as a solo player, but I'm there to uplift people a little and get paid, not concertize. I don't view this as playing down or compromising, as my taste is not far from the non-musician's. I've never claimed to be that 'hip'---not in those situations. In a jazz club it's different, of course---but I still want to reach people in that more liberal setting. Oh, I'll take chances, and I'm doing it so long (since 1980, and possibly earlier) I can turn it on and off. I mean I LIKE Stevie Wonder, Beatles, Carole King, etc. as much as the older ASB writers---no BS. And I guess I admit I've become somewhat of a tightass in my dotage, and mercenary, too. Shoot me.

The thing is we're not out before the public in a vacuum or bubble. Like I don't play single-string solos anymore on these commercial things b/c the average ear doesn't know enough to follow them. They CAN get into it if you're swinging, I know that.

I have enough outlets for my more creative side---like an upcoming gig at Fat Cat where I'll be playing mostly my music with 5 pieces including a singer. So the flame is still burning and it's not all jaded retreads. It's weird, though, almost like I've split myself in 2. But you do what the traffic allows, what can and can't go over in certain situations.

I'm not telling other players to do as I do. I do think versatility and a realistic handle on what will go over in a given situation are good things. Think of them like cans of paint on your shelf: the more cans, the wider your palette...

User Info Menu

Jake Reikbart or Rich Severson are good examples of keeping it viable.Maybe.I think the advice here is invaluable.I mean the observations of the commenters here.I would think every town has Baseball fans.Rich Severson has a fun take on 'take me out to the ball game'could be a sing-a-long in some cases?Sorry just now saw some of the references to said Masters.
    Last edited by EarlBrother; 01-22-2020 at 08:16 AM.

User Info Menu

" But you do what the traffic allows, what can and can't go over in certain situations." Joelf

This, of course, is the only survival tactic for a full-time musician. You have to take the gigs that pay the rent. If we expect an intelligent music listener, we'll be disappointed in almost every case . . . including many Jazz clubs. I believe the trend of Smooth Jazz was an attempt to bring the music closer to the people and in my observation, it was successful. It watered down the music while still allowing some creativity for the performer and acceptance from the audience. It promoted careers like Grover Washington, George Benson, Kenny G, etc. and is still popular today. And, since I come from an R&B background, I've found that many of the old R&B/Soul standards are also very successful in most venues today and reach a wider audience ie; Stand by Me, My Girl, I Heard it Through the Grapevine, Kiss and Say Goodbye, etc. and enjoy playing these tunes and definitely getting into a groove and have even played a couple of these songs at the end of a Classical gig for a pleasant, but well-received shocker.
    I rarely meet people today that listen to Jazz. Perhaps its the area, perhaps the company, but it's my reality. It sometimes feels like we're a cult with members leaving every day. . . even more reason for us to communicate on this Forum to find a happy medium and share feedback from those whose observations are more positive. Good playing . . . Marinero

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    If we expect an intelligent music listener, we'll be disappointed in almost every case . . . including many Jazz clubs. Marinero
    I'm afraid we must part company on that point: I'm continually surprised by how much people know, even when they walk by with a drive-by yet dead-on observation---then keep walking. If I thought people were dumb or beneath me I'd stay home. That's why I play to and not down to them.

Back in the early '80s, when I was a street player, a woman walked up to me with a sour face: 'Do you want to know you were playing a wrong note in that song?' (It was I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart). I'm sure my rejoinder was snotty and defensive, but when I went home and listened, damned if she wasn't right. I wish I'd thanked her. She probably was a musician, but her take and informed listening was not at all far from many insightful comments about music I've gotten from non-musos through the years...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    I'm afraid we must part company on that point: I'm continually surprised by how much people know, even when they walk by with a drive-by yet dead-on observation---then keep walking. If I thought people were dumb or beneath me I'd stay home. That's why I play to and not down to them.

Back in the early '80s, when I was a street player, a woman walked up to me with a sour face: 'Do you want to know you were playing a wrong note in that song?' (It was I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart). I'm sure my rejoinder was snotty and defensive, but when I went home and listened, damned if she wasn't right. I wish I'd thanked her. She probably was a musician, but her take and informed listening was not at all far from many insightful comments about music I've gotten from non-musos through the years...

Thanks for the honest reply, Joel. I wish I had your viewpoint/optimism! Music for many, is curtains on the window. Very few, in my opinion, want to look through the glass. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Interesting thread. I often wish I was more of a 'real jazz guitar player' and really tip my hat to the people who put in the work to learn and gig 3 hours of solo instrumental guitar music. "Someday..." I tell myself

That said, I make a hell of a good side-income by just improvising jazz/funk with a looper...I am up to close to a dozen places that keep me in the rotation -places that do not book instrumental music (breweries, cafes, some cool restaurants...no dives somehow). I do a number of covers, but, really, most of my night is just cooking up decent vamps/grooves/loops and then soloing over it with a few different tones (organ sim, clean, distortion, etc.). I will also create extra layers on top --call and respond with myself via the looper, extra harmony, etc. -and then cut it back to the original loop, keeps the jam fresh and allows you to almost be an improvising guitar DJ (lol)

I am not a player that proper "jazz guitarists" are going to go nuts over how deep my lines are or my encyclopedic knowledge of tunes...not even close. Some nights I really play well, some nights are just okay. I have learned, though, how to exist in a happy medium. If people are tapping their toes /and/ can still hear each other talk, you are winning the game, imo. This has been the biggest asset I have for return bookings as a soloist.

I guess if I had two cents to really throw into this conversation, I would say that you have to determine what you do or don't wanna do on your gig...but, I recommend a looper to at least eat up some time. ...you might lose a couple brownie points on jazz guitar forums (lol), but it's a great tool.

Cheers!

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Thanks for the honest reply, Joel. I wish I had your viewpoint/optimism! Music for many, is curtains on the window. Very few, in my opinion, want to look through the glass. Good playing . . . Marinero
    Charlie Parker said: 'Find one person in the audience and play to him'. If I reach one person I'm not window dressing.

And b/c people don't react in a directly demonstrative way doesn't mean they're not listening.

And I feel like you, or worse, many days. I may be in a crap mood, or my nerves are acting up to begin with---andI have to go out and play for the money, including the street. Yeah, I still do that, to not raid my savings account. People may ignore me all day, and drool into the hated digital toys---which has cut down my earnings substantially. I feel on those days like 'why bother?' Or 'how come so-and-so is more successful, though I'm just as good, and I'm still doing this s&*t for pennies w/o anyone even listening?' Or I'm on auto-pilot, playing by rote w/no feeling, just for the little bread. It's depressing those days, but later I realize I may have made someone's day better who never told me.

Then tomorrow I'm ready to do it again, and hope it'll be better. I'm a guitar player. What else am I gonna do?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    Jake Reikbart or Rich Severson are good examples of keeping it viable.Maybe.I think the advice here is invaluable.I mean the observations of the commenters here.I would think every town has Baseball fans.Rich Severson has a fun take on 'take me out to the ball game'could be a sing-a-long in some cases?Sorry just now saw some of the references to said Masters.
    Just had to, haha... :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by basscadet
    Interesting thread. I often wish I was more of a 'real jazz guitar player' and really tip my hat to the people who put in the work to learn and gig 3 hours of solo instrumental guitar music. "Someday..." I tell myself

That said, I make a hell of a good side-income by just improvising jazz/funk with a looper...I am up to close to a dozen places that keep me in the rotation -places that do not book instrumental music (breweries, cafes, some cool restaurants...no dives somehow). I do a number of covers, but, really, most of my night is just cooking up decent vamps/grooves/loops and then soloing over it with a few different tones (organ sim, clean, distortion, etc.). I will also create extra layers on top --call and respond with myself via the looper, extra harmony, etc. -and then cut it back to the original loop, keeps the jam fresh and allows you to almost be an improvising guitar DJ (lol)
    Cheers!
    I'd love to hear some of your stuff...any place I can check out some of it? You can PM is you don't want to post here.

Loopers are fun..... so is the Freeze pedal....now what about imitating a bass guitar with an EH Micro Pog
    Thanks

User Info Menu

You do that tune sorry nice what a fun tune.Thank you Jake i enjoy your gig at The Earl.The epitome of hard work long hours and the joy of music.Were are kind of related in name only.Earl

I used to play instrumental solo guitar full-time as a cruise ship musician but recently had to stop due to covid and don't plan on going back. I've really enjoyed reading this thread and was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting solo gigs. I realize this isn't directly related to what OP asked and sorry if this has been covered somewhere else on this forum. I'm just starting from scratch and am trying to find some weekly gigs and any advice would be helpful. Thanks!