The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33
    I thought I'd give an update. It seems like more than a year has past, since I posted this thread.

I tried three guitar teachers. The first laughed about what I did, which I didn't like. The second one buried me in information and was so chaotic it made me nervous. The third seemed a match, but to be honest, it all didn't seem to work out how I wanted. When the pandemic came, it stopped of course.

The combo is a lot of fun, even though we haven't played in almost three months, but we're starting soon again.

Where I really learned a lot, and I mean a lot, was at Artistworks with Dave Stryker and even better at Truefire. I think I practiced at least 1,5 hour per day since the beginning of this year and I'm starting to notice the improvement.

I have even joined a jazztrio with a base player and a drummer, where I play chord melody, some solo's and comp for the base player when he's soloing. It's completely new and it takes lots of hard work to even play one song at a very modest level, but it's so much fun.

I'm following a few of Frank Vignola's courses and I try to use everything that I learned in a song that I know. By doing that, it has a bigger chance of being remembered. I'm also doing the Trio Comping course by Mimi Fox and even though it's above my level, I do learn great voicings and nice rhythm things.

A few months ago I just played 'the chords' when I was 'comping'. Now I'm thinking of different voicings, different rhythms, etc.

I know it can take years to become even a mediocre player, but the process in itself is very rewarding.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds like you are on the right track. Enjoy your journey!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    I thought I'd give an update. It seems like more than a year has past, since I posted this thread.

I tried three guitar teachers. The first laughed about what I did, which I didn't like. The second one buried me in information and was so chaotic it made me nervous. The third seemed a match, but to be honest, it all didn't seem to work out how I wanted. When the pandemic came, it stopped of course.

The combo is a lot of fun, even though we haven't played in almost three months, but we're starting soon again.

Where I really learned a lot, and I mean a lot, was at Artistworks with Dave Stryker and even better at Truefire. I think I practiced at least 1,5 hour per day since the beginning of this year and I'm starting to notice the improvement.

I have even joined a jazztrio with a base player and a drummer, where I play chord melody, some solo's and comp for the base player when he's soloing. It's completely new and it takes lots of hard work to even play one song at a very modest level, but it's so much fun.

I'm following a few of Frank Vignola's courses and I try to use everything that I learned in a song that I know. By doing that, it has a bigger chance of being remembered. I'm also doing the Trio Comping course by Mimi Fox and even though it's above my level, I do learn great voicings and nice rhythm things.

A few months ago I just played 'the chords' when I was 'comping'. Now I'm thinking of different voicings, different rhythms, etc.

I know it can take years to become even a mediocre player, but the process in itself is very rewarding.
    Wow, where do you live that you have all of these jazz resources at your disposal?

I think if you have fun playing with the combo, and they want to play with you, you keep playing.

This is just an opinion, but sometimes I think the jazz pedagogy is a little crazy. I think if you have 25 years of playing and play George in a Beatles cover band, you must have something to say, even in a straight jazz context. Have fun with it.

I get wanting to play jazz the 'right' way, but sometimes I think it gets a little nutty, especially if you're an amateur. If you're a pro, different story.

Thanks guys. I live in the west part of The Netherlands. There's enough to do music wise, that's true.
    Well, that 25 years is on and off. There have been years where I didn't play at all. Fact is, I'm enjoying it at least as much as when I was a teenager.

User Info Menu

If you want to be a combo musician, the time to join a combo is as soon as you can.

The fastest way to improve is to be the worst player in the group. If the group is willing to have you, you will find a way to improve.

It can be helpful to organize combo lessons with a teacher. I have done this many times. Top pros are open to doing it. Everybody chips in to pay for the lesson.

If you're missing an instrument, you can hire a teacher who plays that instrument and see what it feels like to play with a musician of that caliber.

I'd suggest that you tell them that the group desires blunt feedback, if the group can handle that.

It might be worth pointing out that it's possible to play decent jazz with surprisingly few tools. It can be done with a limited number of "grips" that are easy to reach - it does help to know how to use each grip in different ways (against different harmony, that is).

You do need to be able to play with a good rhythmic feel. That's a topic for another day, but I'll say this much here. It's important to play things that you can execute without sacrificing time feel. This is an easy mistake to make. So the rule I suggest is, never sacrifice time-feel in pursuit of attempting something you can't really play. Those things are for the practice room, alone, not for the band.

A good solo doesn't have to have a lot of notes or complex harmony - a simpler melodic statement can work. In fact, simply embellishing the tune's melody is unlikely to get you thrown out of the band. It's also a good way to develop an ability to solo.

Good luck!

Thanks RP, these are all very good ideas.

User Info Menu

If you feel you are not good enough to play with others, just do it, that is the best way to learn.

User Info Menu

When is it time to join a combo?

Well, I wouldn't do it till the lockdown's over :-)