Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I'm interested to know if any of you (or you have heard others) use Band-in-a-Box tracks on solo gigs - perhaps just drum and bass accompaniment. Like many others, I've used it for years for practice. However, the Real Tracks and Style Picker features just keeps getting better and better sounding. It doesn't take any time at all to create a nice sounding stereo background track by importing individual tracks into Pro Tools, cleaning them up a bit with EQ and some basic effects, and doing a quick mixdown. I've never thought about using these tracks for a restaurant, hotel lobby, or vineyard background music gig until recently. What are others doing? Thanks much.
    I never practice my guitar — from time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat. - Wes Montgomery
    Gibson ES-335 | Gibson ES-175 | Fender Stratocaster | Martin HD-28V

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Personally as a listener and musician, I'm not interested in listening to someone play to tracks in a live setting. If it's just to get the gig done and make some bread I don't hold it against anyone. I just don't think it's compelling musically. I'd rather hear what you have to say as a solo instrument.

User Info Menu

Apparently there are a lot of solo musicians using backing tracks these days (takes me back to the 80’s when drum machines we’re getting more and more advanced).

I know what you mean about it sounding better and better. I haven’t set that up yet, I just use a looping pedal during a verse to record, and play solos over that. But, I can see it as an option.

Did see an older country singer/guitarist use BiaB at a gig though. I find it cheesy - but I’m not a typical audience member.

Go hang out listening to people play where your going to be playing and see what the norm is for your area. If they use tracks then BiaB is a great option.

User Info Menu

I could be very entertained by a great player and a good backing track.

PS, many live pop/rock acts are basically doing just that. They roll in a pro tools system, put in their in ears, and when they hear the click it’s time to play.

User Info Menu

About 15 years I subbed a couple of gigs in a guitar/clarinet/trumpet trio w/BIAB backing tracks. It felt stiff and unnatural to me, and I wondered if the audience realized that the three of us could leave without things sounding much different.

That being said, they seemed to enjoy it, but I never did it again--I really hated it!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Nope, not for me, ever. Never.

But of course, ask me how often I get to gig versus guys who do.

Like at the restaurant I once played...the owner:

" hey, I like you sounds...but guy who plays tuesday night...he has the recordings, you know? The 1 2, 1 2 3 4? It's like whole band for price of one musician! Maybe you get recordings?"
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Some guys gotta do what they gotta do to get work as a "musician".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkipBurz View Post
    I'm interested to know if any of you (or you have heard others) use Band-in-a-Box tracks on solo gigs - perhaps just drum and bass accompaniment. Like many others, I've used it for years for practice. However, the Real Tracks and Style Picker features just keeps getting better and better sounding. It doesn't take any time at all to create a nice sounding stereo background track by importing individual tracks into Pro Tools, cleaning them up a bit with EQ and some basic effects, and doing a quick mixdown. I've never thought about using these tracks for a restaurant, hotel lobby, or vineyard background music gig until recently. What are others doing? Thanks much.
    If you have an hour or so of time, search some of the old threads and you will find some very spirited discussion on the topic of using backing tracks. I am not sure if BIAB was a part of the conversation.

I think a person name "Sandro" had a really long thread.

(Yep, here it is, I found it: Backing Tracks for live gigs)

User Info Menu

Just had this surreal encounter yesterday with a Keyboarder. He has a "Ketron" keyboard that thwarts BiaB like nothing. And he's doing it in real-time - meaning - he plays and that darn thing puts a whole band behind him.

Absolutely impressing ...

Forget BiaB if you really want to go out in the wild with something like that, get yourself a Ketron.

But ... Jazz not it is... guess you already know that don't you?

--- The ultimate answer to almost all guitar questions: "Practice more!" ---

User Info Menu

I've only done backing tracks on a few cheesy and well paying events where they wanted that.

I've even played a Russian wedding once with a huge band, 6-8 singers and players from all over Europe, where we were supposed to play pop and variety stuff, but there were no rehearsals, no charts, no soundcheck!, no stress from anyone about it! I go onstage and discover that all music is backing tracks that the musical director had written and was controlling while playing, and he only had players for solos that you'd play by ear every now and then, and afterwards he'd turn you off again. Surreal gig, payed a months rent.

But I use Loopers often, I find it to be a thing that does work live.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    .... ear every now and then, and afterwards he'd turn you off again. Surreal gig, payed a months rent.
    Don't want to hijack thread, but tempted to open a "surreal encounters on the bandstand" thread... Could provide some anecdotes...

EDIT: I did it: Surreal Stories From The Bandstand Collection Thread
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 10-04-2019 at 06:26 AM.

--- The ultimate answer to almost all guitar questions: "Practice more!" ---

User Info Menu

Just another form of Karaoke.

User Info Menu

I want to get a gig mimicking along to Wes cds with my unplugged guitar. It's only jazz, who knows? Who cares?