The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Sometimes, instead of bringing a spare guitar just in case, I'll bring one just in gigbag.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I usually never bring two electric guitars at the same time. My setup is one acoustic and one electric guitar for gigs. As long as I use good strings and suitable picks there aren’t any need for ”spare guitars”.
    Last edited by Bbmaj7#5#9; 09-23-2019 at 05:59 AM.

User Info Menu

I am thinking about cloning myself ... just in case.... but how can I be sure he is going show up for gigs to be 'spare me'?

User Info Menu

I bring spare E and B strings (not that I've ever needed them - 13's and 17's are pretty durable), tuning winder, and a wire cutter...but that's it. Oh, sometimes a spare amp in case I'm not sure of the room.

Also, a pair of drum sticks and a high-hat clutch...

User Info Menu

I don't bring a spare to my gigs, although I've been caught out by this on a couple of occasions where the high 'e' broke and I had to finish the gig with a 5 string guitar. Not much fun...

Now I keep a spare .12 and .16 pair of strings in the case, so if either the B or E breaks I'm not stuck. It's been years since that happened... I have probably jinxed myself now.

All my amps at this point in time are solid state, so generally I'm not too worried about an amp dying on me. Mainly I'm gigging with my Quilter Aviator Twin Ten or a DV Mark Little Jazz, both for which I don't really have any concerns about reliability.

User Info Menu

i like to think about the other instruments... anyone bringing a backup trumpet or sax? nah, but they probably have another mouthpiece and reed.

although i too worry sometimes, i think it's safe enough to bring a extra set of strings and cables.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I am thinking about cloning myself ... just in case.... but how can I be sure he is going show up for gigs to be 'spare me'?

Hi, Jonah,
    I think you both need to sit down and have a discussion. And, if you haven't done this before, may I suggest a padded cell for the meeting? I'm certain you'll work it out! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

In jazz, unfortunately, sometimes the question would be whether to bring a spare or substitute listener "just in case" ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    I usually never bring two electric guitars at the same time. My setup is one acoustic and one electric guitar for gigs. As long as I use good strings and suitable picks there aren’t any need for ”spare guitars”.
    Earlier this week I went to a performance by 19 year old blues guitar prodigy Christone Ingram. On his opening number he broke a string on his instrument. At the end of the song he went to his backup guitar. On his last tune of the performance he broke a string on the backup guitar. He retuned and performed an encore, "Hey Joe", admirably on 5 strings.