The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Kind of a fun, corny question. I've been doing gigs for 40 years, but in my first few rock/blues bands, we called public performing "playing out". How quaint. Even my own children starting in middle school jazz band called performances gigs....

So, quite often I see the term "playing out" used in the forum, and it brings back memories of rock bands and amateur status, no snobbiness intended at all. As so many guitarists start without jazz leanings, I actually think there is big tendency to use the term.

What do you call it??

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

To me, and I freely admit it's a very limited sample size, as well as experience, a gig is a paid job. I've done a few, but it was a long, long time ago. Playing out is playing somewhere outside home for fun, not for profit. I may be the only person in the world, or at least on the forum, with this opinion, and that's all it is.

User Info Menu

Looks like Steve Herron, in an article on George Benson, favored the term "playing out." Maybe he can chime in...

(Look down towards the bottom of the page where he gives a short biography)

Learn To Play Guitar With George Benson

User Info Menu

My first jazz group was while I was in the Army. To military people, a "gig" is not a good thing--we always called them bookings, appearances, or performances.

I say "playing out" to include rehearsals. Since we do formal concerts, dances, outdoor shows, and performances backing other entertainers, I tend to be specific about what we're doing if someone asks. On our weekly band email the leader calls them all "events."

Once the word "gig" referred any sort of job, it seems to have lost its meaning for players, jazz or otherwise.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

gigs

User Info Menu

In my way of thinking of it,

- a gig is a commitment to perform, it is on the schedule as an event, and it holds a high level of responsibility to the rest of the band and the venue... "the show must go on"... you can't skip without repercussions. It typically means a paid event but may occasionally be a charitable function.

- playing out includes everything public played outside your self practice and band rehearsals, so it includes gigs, but also includes shows that "don't have to go on" - street performance busking and dropping into open mics playing with the host band or others who show up, neither of which requires you to be there for any particular time or occurrence.

User Info Menu

The more contact and association I had with reading, working union musicians, the more universal the term gig was. Perhaps it's also a regional thing, I'm from the northeast.

User Info Menu

Slightly off topic...but I find it odd and somewhat unprofessional when a musician announces their upcoming “gigs” to their audience. It’s a gig to the musician, but to the audience it’s a performance. Calling it a gig makes it seem more like a job than a pleasure.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard the term “playing out.” As an amateur, I often choose the word “performance” rather than “gig” because if playing for an audience ever feels more like work than fun, I’ll just stick to the rehearsal room.
    Last edited by KirkP; 08-28-2019 at 08:17 AM.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, ”gig” is the real word for a music performance. ”Playing out” sounds like someone’s playing dissonant or actually playing out in nature.

It’s a good topic. I’ve never thought about this before. Maybe a poll?
    Last edited by Bbmaj7#5#9; 08-28-2019 at 04:01 AM.

User Info Menu

I did a google search and the term "playing out" has been used a lot. Of course, there is the term of playing out of key, but it seems a lot of older authors use it when describing anytime someone puts on a performance, whether it be on a street corner, for charity, in a club, paid or unpaid.

"Gig" seems to mainly refer to a paid performance with defined time, just as someone mentioned earlier.

So if I play on a street corner with some other forum members, it appears I am "playing out" (in public). This is my conclusion. It will be interesting, going forward to pay attention to how my musician friends use the two terms, if indeed they even use the term "playing out."

User Info Menu

Another use of gig is as in "steady gig", such as, every Thursday night at this place and every Sunday afternoon at that one. A lot of hotel gigs seem to be this way.

And there's also the sense of being picked up by a band going on tour. I remember Donald Fagen talking in an interivew about a music teacher at Bard college who left because "he got a gig." Fagen didn't go into specifics but in context it seemed obvious that the teacher was heading out on the road and wouldn't be back before the semeste ended.

User Info Menu

Ime, "playing out" is often, and only used by recently formed bands (often young people), who are rehearsing and working toward the goal of being good enough to perform in public.

User Info Menu

I've always considered "playing out" as an intermediate phase between "rehearsing" (sequestration in the rehearsal space to get your act together) and "gigging", where you get paid and are performing on a regular basis. The "playing out" phase includes some paying jobs towards the end, but a lot of "exposure" stuff at the beginning (playing parties for friends, benefits, opening for more established artists, etc). Getting out of the garage or the basement or whatever takes some doing, to say the least.

Of course letting people attend your rehearsals moots the process as the whole thing instantly turns into a time-wasting unpaid "performance".

User Info Menu

the young players in this area - Oregon- use the term" shows" instead of gig or playing out , I have always thought the two terms synonymous

User Info Menu

I've always understood the two terms to be synonyms.

John

User Info Menu

Dictionary definition of the term gig seems to be a musical performance without a requirement that it's a paid work.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 09-07-2019 at 10:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Dictionary definition of the term gig seems to be a musical performance without a requirement that it's paid work.
    Curiously, "gig work" and "gig economy" are now terms unrelated to music. (Though a musician could get such work.) Uber is perhaps the most familiar example.

User Info Menu

gigs preferred here. But the kids call them shows. I hate that term.

User Info Menu

Anytime I try playing out I get fired.

I keep within the changes now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Anytime I try playing out I get fired.

I keep within the changes now.
    That's the gig, man.

User Info Menu

I practice to play a “show”. If I have ongoing work with a leader, I call it a “gig”. No particular reason for this word choice.

User Info Menu

My trio usually has younger bassist and drummer, and they play "shows", I play "gigs". Apparently shows and gigs are compatible.

User Info Menu

I don’t know that I’ve ever heard “playing out”. It’s always been gig to me and the cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

95% of audiences I know know the term gig and seem to find nothing objectionable about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Recital