Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

musical engagement....that's where the word gig originated from

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    musical engagement....that's where the word gig originated from
    Really? Is that the derivation? I had no idea. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Playing out does not imply making money. To me a gig is one that makes money and you might not be playing to many at all. I use the word gig and playing out just does not make sense other than you are playing in some public venue. A gig implies work and getting paid.

Around these parts of midwest there is little money in playing gigs from what I can see. The best paying things tend to be weddings and possible some corporate show sponsored event. I took up guitar repair way back in the early 1990's although I could do things before then just did not try anything commercial. I can easily say the the repair " gig" is way more profitable and these days I enjoy it much more than playing almost any gig.

Finally as I always say I had a full time gig 34 years in Human Services. The past 13 years as permenent Deacon.....that is not a gig........at all.......

User Info Menu

I dont think I've heard the term playing out used much since I was in a garage band in my teens. Like a guy would walk by and say "hey, you guys sound great, do you play out?"Which meant "in public," I guess, paid or not.A gig is a job. It pays money.

User Info Menu

I have always used the term gig to connote a paid performance, though "playing out," in my opinion, can refer to either paid or unpaid events. My daughter-in-law, who is a classically trained musician, always uses the term performances. Another clasically trained friend uses the same terminology. Does anyone know the origin of the term "gig?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FredH
    Does anyone know the origin of the term "gig?"
    Wikipedia

Gig is slang for a live musical performance, recording session, or other (usually paid) engagement of a musician or ensemble. Originally coined in the 1920s by jazz musicians, the term, short for the word "engagement"

User Info Menu

Thanks. That what I always suspected.

User Info Menu

I've used the word "show". Rarely do I use the word "gig". Even though I have I always felt uncomfortable about it saying it. Don't know why really.

I also say something as simple as, "We are 'playing' at so & so club tonight." Or, "We are 'playing' this weekend, you should drop in."

I agree though, gig seems like it's more of a paid situation that playing out might be.

User Info Menu

If it's unpaid we call it a giglet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaJoe
    If it's unpaid we call it a giglet.
    I have done just that every Sunday at a Manhattan coffee shop for about four years now. Occasional tips aside, there’s no money in it. Therefore, I will stop saying “gig”. “Giglet” or “playing” or “playing out” from now on.

User Info Menu

It's also a term used by fishermen: gigging. It uses a pole with a trident on the end to gig/spear fish, frogs, eels, etc. When I lived in Miami in the late 70's, we bought fresh frog legs from a little stand off the highway on the edge of the Everglades whose owners gigged frogs daily. Nothing better!
    Growing up in Chicago, I always used the term "gig". I never heard the term "playing out" but we did use the term "show" with non-musicians when I played with Jazz/Rock big bands since it described the event more clearly to them. However, among musicians, we always used the term "gig." Good playing . . . Marinero