User Info Menu

We'll be inside tonight w temps @ 97 but we're working a jazz festival tomorrow and then an early jazz bbq on Sunday w temps 100 +
    Our late afternoon Sun gig is inside to end the weekend fortunately.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rough gig. Drink lots of water and maybe powder your hands! WGBH radio in Boston has mentioned the impending heat several times an hour today, as well as the services that are in place for residents. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Protect yourself. My last gig it was 94 degrees F in the shade and I was in direct, windless sunlight, naturally. I had a gallon of water and a box fan. We were second on the bill and the opening act had played 75% of our planned song list, so... no pressure.
    I went through 3/4 of the water during the single set and had downed the rest before reaching home. What I am saying is lots of water. And maybe some Gatorade.
    Gatorade, btw, was a staple for summertime gigs. Rule of thumb: if it tastes good, you really need it.
    Also, alcohol will dehydrate you.
    Best of luck!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Man, that heat is debilitating to be in like that! I was at an outdoor festival in Bedford, Texas. It was over 100 degrees and direct sunlight on us listeners. I noticed the ambulance starting to come and get people as the day wore on.

Be careful, like everyone said.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    We'll be inside tonight w temps @ 97 but we're working a jazz festival tomorrow and then an early jazz bbq on Sunday w temps 100 +
    Our late afternoon Sun gig is inside to end the weekend fortunately.
    Phew. You may need a few days to recover from that! Hydration is key but don't forget your eyes and lips---heat (and sunlight)is hard on them too. I keep a few sugar-free coughdrops in my pocket in case I feel the need to have a taste in my mouth other than water. ;o)

Adding some lemon to your drinking water wouldn't hurt...
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Similar story here: two days in a row of outdoor gigs in high heat and humidity. Water and citrus, good combination.

Welcome to the Greek summer where sometimes you might be unlucky enough to get a soundcheck midday, well in the 110' (45+ Celsius). But my hottest gig ever was in Cyprus, more to the south, was an early afternoon gig, about 47 Celsius. I took this photo to remember. You can tell you're a gear head when you worry more about your guitars than about yourself (which I did, except for the tele that seems indestructible!)

Consecutive 100 degree outdoor gigs-312196_2583377620446_443613614_n-jpg

I played yesterday in direct sunlight. The host got sorry for me and let me go home a bit earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    Welcome to the Greek summer where sometimes you might be unlucky enough to get a soundcheck midday, well in the 110' (45+ Celsius). But my hottest gig ever was in Cyprus, more to the south, was an early afternoon gig, about 47 Celsius. I took this photo to remember. You can tell you're a gear head when you worry more about your guitars than about yourself (which I did, except for the tele that seems indestructible!)

Consecutive 100 degree outdoor gigs-312196_2583377620446_443613614_n-jpg
    Hah, I know firsthand as well having spent many summers in Greece and Crete. It can get unbearable there and it's not just a couple straight days, it can be weeks of super high temps.