The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 92

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I might close my eyes for a few seconds every now and then, and I think it's fine for any others that do, for whatever reasons.
    What I don't do, and what I don't like others doing is the little too overly expressive head bobbing, head shaking, weird mouth shapes, eye rolling, and other movements that stink of affectation (not the little natural things, but the ones over the top that look as faked as a lead rock guitarist bending one long easy high note but projecting the posture, face, and image of extreme intensity of effort - it's that "See, I'm digging deep into my soul to summon up my unique and profound musical gift just for you!" thing, you know what I mean).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Playing Guitar With Your Eyes Closed-c9d48cbc-394d-488e-9850-861cd6eaed57-jpg

User Info Menu

I b s?
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Playing Guitar With Your Eyes Closed-c9d48cbc-394d-488e-9850-861cd6eaed57-jpg

User Info Menu

Straining to get the notes out.

User Info Menu

Graham, you beat me to it! He's been doing that since he took a solo with Simon and Garfunkel at the Central Park Concert in the 70s.
    He's a smart dude; he knows people listen with their eyes.

Nah, he's doing that look because he's secretly jamming to Kenny G in his head.

I can't escape this man, no matter how hard I try

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Oh they nicked that idea from Krantz
    John McLaughlin talks about being totally lost on joining Miles because the band had so many non verbal as well as musical cues, Miles would look a certain way, or play a few random (to McLaughlin) notes & the next tune would start without being named, let alone counted off.

User Info Menu

Chick Corea talks about the importance of sightlines on the bandstand - 25.40 if you can't wait,

01: Inside Chick's CD: The Making of the Vigil with Tim Garland [Podcast] - Chick Corea Music Workshops

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Nah, he's doing that look because he's secretly jamming to Kenny G in his head.

I can't escape this man, no matter how hard I try
    That's because he's after all of us! If you want a good time at PM's expense, read Gary Burton's autobiography, He reams PM for an entire page, talking about how he had to fire PM, because he was acting like a goon; getting into shouting matches with GB when he was in his group. He also said that PM would go back into the studio, and do "little fixes" on all of his solos.
    Jim Hall also complained about PM doing that to such an extent on the album he made with PM, that he couldn't even listen to it again, because PM had turned it into some type of "Frankenstein's Monster" by doing all his "little fixes".
    I could say more, but I'd probably have to kill you!

Pat gets off telling every new guitar player (except for Grasso) sounds like him. His whole diatribe against Kenny G was beyond obnoxious--I don't like Kenny G either--but, grow up! I just don't like him.

Whatever, one persons hate for Pat Metheny won't hurt him any! Just don't ever compare my sound to his (cue everyone on the forum telling me that I sound like Pat Metheny)

And even as someone who wears his hair a little long, I gotta say, cut your hair, Pat! What happened to class? Look at George Benson, class!

User Info Menu

While PM is not my fav player by far, i dont buy his albums (except the one he did with Sco- that was awesome!), or go to his shows etc, I still would prefer him to most modern post Rosenwinkle players. At least he has some rocknroll in him, and not nearly as nerdy. Go Pat, make those faces!

User Info Menu

I prefer Pat as a sideman.

I went to see the PMG about 15 years ago. I found it quite boring, everyone else in the audience was absolutely loving it. I came to the conclusion then that I don't really like PMG.

Kurt is really great. Most of his imitators are talented guitar operators, but Kurt has a vibe.

User Info Menu

Kurt is the Boss of academic jazz, he started it. He sure has a vibe, just not the right kind for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Kurt is the Boss of academic jazz, he started it. He sure has a vibe, just not the right kind for me.
    I don't think you can blame Kurt for that lol. I hold him responsible for many things, including the 30 years war, but I think academic jazz was well underway before Kurt turned up with his delay pedal and collection of headwear.

I'd still see Kurt over Pat--and Pat would definitely say that Kurt is copying him.

Meh, whatever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Have you ever listened to his Reflections trio album? I just don't understand where this "he's too academic" thing comes from, or the "he's thinking too hard about theory" jab I've heard once or twice.

I've never been the biggest fan of Kurt's tone--it's important to get granular with what you like and don't like in the musicians you listen to--but his melodic and harmonic concepts are very interesting to me. If academic means stilted, than I think that's wrong. I really like how Kurt applies George Van Eps's concepts into his own harmonic voice--that's what I am trying to do--it's HARD!

Kurt's big band stuff is very exciting as well.

User Info Menu

When I say academic, i mean their music is removed from the 'street' as far as possible. Jazz was born on the streets (of New Orleans) and my fav players, I can still hear the connection. That or the blues/rocknroll. My fav guitarists, from Charlie Christian to Sco, I can hear it. Sco's biggest influence is BB King. 'Nough said.

Starting from Kurt, I can't hear it anymore. Sophisticated harmony is not a big deal to me. I wanna party.

I meant how Kurt voices his "chord movement"

Hep, you should watch the Fareed livestream I posted on the Ear Training Journal--you'd REALLY dig it. Everyone keeps asking Fareed "what scale do you use here, what scale do you use there?" Fareed says something like "our favorite jazz musicians knew how to take a blues scale, add some chromaticism, and make music with it". Then he starts to talk about his Chicago influences. He's a party player through and through.

Also, Hep--you'd get a kick out of this--I went to another jam session last night. It was a mix of young and old. One of the older bass players kept talking about how everyone sounds like they came from Berklee. I ask him if he can tell the difference between East and West, and he said it all sounds the same. I played a couple of tunes and he pats my back, smiles, and says "You sound very New York!"

I guess I'm actually making progress with my playing

User Info Menu

Cool Irez, I'll check it out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    I'd still see Kurt over Pat--and Pat would definitely say that Kurt is copying him.

Meh, whatever.
    I've seen PM play several times and listened to a good few albums but I just don't get it. "Question and Answer" is the only album he's done that I'd want to hear again, and even then it isn't a desert island disc or anything, just a fairly enjoyable album.

Interesting that some posters are complaining Kurt is a bit cerebral/bloodless because that's exactly my problem with Pat. His skills are undeniable but they don't translate into music I particularly want to hear.

Rosenwinkel on the other hand is one of my favourite players and the one time I saw him live was mind blowing, among the best concerts I've seen in any genre.

As people my impressions of both are pretty negative tbh but in terms of the depth of my response to the music Kurt is on a different level so the differences seem to be mattering more to me than the similarities. All one man's subjective response of course.

User Info Menu

This video, Irez? Yea, thanks for hipping me up to Fareed, that's a player I can listen and learn from!

Funny, his name doesn't come up often. It should!

User Info Menu

I had a gig with one of Kurt protege's once. He was subbing for one of the regulars. What was supposed to be an easy-peasy trio brunch gig turned into quite torturous 3 hours for me. Bass and two guitars, all standards (the owner loves blues, so that what we are set out to play a lot), what can go wrong? Let's just say that the concept of simple jazz rhythm guitar or blues shuffle was pretty much lost on him. His lines were beautiful though, I could tell that's what he spent his most time practicing. Very smooth and clever, nice dreamy tone... just like his hero. Ask to play ala Freddie Green or lay down solid blues groove- lost in the water!

User Info Menu

Yeah I always find that odd. I mean have they not listened to Jim Hall? He’s a dab hand at rhythm stuff.

I think they just think it’s not hip. Whereas actually not playing the gig is not hip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah I always find that odd. I mean have they not listened to Jim Hall? He’s a dab hand at rhythm stuff.

I think they just think it’s not hip. Whereas actually not playing the gig is not hip.
    Jim Hall was really good at that stuff indeed. Maybe he's not hip enough either.