The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 97 of 97

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo
    That picture is really something.... Serous or having some fun? I know some 1970s Italian-Canadian families that would fit this mold... although the furniture would be covered in plastic.
    It is one of a series. You can see the humour in it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sure...but man it is so close to reality. That said, my Italo-Canadian friends had a lot of fun teasing me about being a mangiacake (look it up) and that was close to reality too.

User Info Menu

His father was a scientist in the defence industry. I doubt they were poor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Do you honestly believe that if someone today wants to pursue any music related profession there is a better way to do it other than studying music in the best college/University they can afford?
    Actually yes...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    The Berklee $7,300,000 Zappa tribute band. When only these 29 students have completed four years at Berklee, they will have collectively paid $7,300,000 for their education. Enjoy the most expensive band that money can't buy.

Am I wrong to be disturbed that this is the representation of the jazz economy where students pay institutions vs this money going to support working musicians? That money would equate to 7,300 gigs that paid $1000 to working jazz groups.

So instead of only 29 Berklee students' expenses, how about all jazz students in US? That amount of money is so high that you might see how academia is a lucrative industry that soaks up most of the available money for the jazz economy. Is this justifiable, or just big business?

Believe me folks, the money is there, but it doesn't go to support the artists. Academia prefers they get the money, like any other business would. They are not blind to what they are doing, and of course, most grads won't agree to any of this, because of human nature....

Basic economics, supply and demand.
    High demand for jazz education, many people want to learn to play. Not many people are willing to pay for the nusic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Well, c'mon! Zappa ... medley?!
    Who is Zappa, never heard of him

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    He was before your time. At your age are you under the impression that you've heard of every musician or composer of note?

If you ever go to Berklee you'll learn music history, including the history of rock, although you could just read that stuff.

You play very nicely BTW. As well as you play you should upload a full song that goes from start to finish. If you don't have a band just use a backing track with something more than drums, or better yet play an unaccompanied solo guitar piece.

Berklee - and every other college - will require that you do that each and every time you perform, other than short ideas in a private lesson. Anything that is performance related in front of humans beyond your teacher? Full song.

What do you say?

User Info Menu

Exactly what 99% of the public is saying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    He was before your time. At your age are you under the impression that you've heard of every musician or composer of note?

If you ever go to Berklee you'll learn music history, including the history of rock, although you could just read that stuff.

You play very nicely BTW. As well as you play you should upload a full song that goes from start to finish. If you don't have a band just use a backing track with something more than drums, or better yet play an unaccompanied solo guitar piece.

Berklee - and every other college - will require that you do that each and every time you perform, other than short ideas in a private lesson. Anything that is performance related in front of humans beyond your teacher? Full song.

What do you say?
    Thank you for your comment about me playing well.

I was unfortunately never interested in solo guitar playing

I also happens to know theory

About Zappa, well, it was a joke

User Info Menu

Seriously though, the quality of young players now never ceases to amaze me. Nice one dude.

User Info Menu

I know this will make me sound about 1,000,000 years old, but a lot of young very accomplished players seem to have what I would think of as surprising holes in their knowledge. I tend to find them usually fairly knowledgable about old old jazz stuff (1950s) but not so much about more recent things (70s 80s, 90s even) Snarky fans that have never heard of Wayne Krantz or Weather Report, and so on.

So it wasn't actually such an obvious joke to me.

Re: Solo guitar- it doesn't interest me as much as ensemble playing either, but wait until you find yourself on a gig in the position of having to do it in public because the sax player's fast food choices are catching up with them.

User Info Menu

Zappa loved jazz and he played with some of great jazz muscicians in ex. J.L.Ponty or G.Duke.Great staff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I know this will make me sound about 1,000,000 years old, but a lot of young very accomplished players seem to have what I would think of as surprising holes in their knowledge. I tend to find them usually fairly knowledgable about old old jazz stuff (1950s) but not so much about more recent things (70s 80s, 90s even) Snarky fans that have never heard of Wayne Krantz or Weather Report, and so on.
    I saw Krantz live back in the days when he used to play 55 bar in NYC, it was amazing!

Actually, I am mainly interested in stuff from the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's and forward when it comes to Jazz, rock, fusion etc.

So it wasn't actually such an obvious joke to me.
    No problem, I should have put a smiley or something, hehe

Re: Solo guitar- it doesn't interest me as much as ensemble playing either, but wait until you find yourself on a gig in the position of having to do it in public because the sax player's fast food choices are catching up with them.
    Haha, yeah, need to pick sax players wisely

User Info Menu

That makes sense, because I was thinking that you played like someone who HAS heard of Steve Vai. ahem.

Another thought - the Guitar IS a solo instrument that adapts to large ensemble formats.

Anyway, you're pretty close to playing solo guitar on these recordings. You just need and intro, accompaniment of other instruments and/or voices, and an ending to make a complete musical statement/performance. Some variation in compositional sections is useful too.

I'm quite sure that you can do it - so - if you're seeking feedback about your playing on the world wide web you should fully engage the listener by playing a complete musical performance. You might be surprised at the difference in feedback between an impressive excerpt and a full performance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Most will be paying full fees. That is how the college makes its money.
    Oddly not necessarily true. Raising tuition allows administrations to talk about how much their students struggle to pay their fees and how dedicated they are, which allows them to appeal to patrons for scholarship money far beyond the actual costs of the education provided.

The real racket in education is outside the instutitons, in the student loan business, which which schools are of course complicit.

Also: Berklee doesn't just teach jazz, right? So this $7.3M is not coming out of the jazz economy, but from the total music economy. Right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Also: Berklee doesn't just teach jazz, right? So this $7.3M is not coming out of the jazz economy, but from the total music economy. Right?
    I think it's mostly coming out of the "well off parents" economy. It's not like people are attending these schools and paying the bill when they're done. Most people either have scholarships, relatives who can afford to help, or both. Paying the full bill of tuition is at least 120k, people are by and large not going to these schools thinking they are gonna pay off that debt with a successful jazz/music career afterwards.

My experience is that many, maybe most people, aren't paying full tuition. I got a modest scholarship to the new school, and I was/am an unremarkable but competent player. I went to the new school after I got an undergrad degree, in computer science, and worked as a software engineer while I went to music school part time, and was able to pay my tuition bill with money from my day job. I couldn't have done this without my (modest) scholarship.

I knew many, many people with similar scholarship stories. I suspect very few people pay the sticker price for music school.
    Last edited by pcsanwald; 05-13-2019 at 04:18 PM.

User Info Menu

That makes sense, because I was thinking that you played like someone who HAS heard of Steve Vai. ahem.

I was never really into Vai, but I do understand his importance for a certain style of playing.

Anyway, you're pretty close to playing solo guitar on these recordings. You just need and intro, accompaniment of other instruments and/or voices,
    The clip where I play jazz, is a very spontaneous spur of the moment thing, nothing planned ahead, except I set the drum loop for a certain amount of bars.

I like to practice and also jam/play with only drums sometimes. And sometimes of course add a bass as well. So it is all intentional. Playing duo with a real drummer is of course much better though.

User Info Menu

Such a jaundiced view of education here. Whatever happened to studying something because it interests you?

I suppose taking joy in education is a decadent notion from a bygone age and now all we are meant to be interested in are job opportunities.
    +1

I earned a Master's in theology because it interests me. I'm never going to use it. I'm actually looking at going back and finishing my music degree too, even though I'll never be a full time musician again.

You get out of a degree exactly what you put into it. I went to North Carolina School of the Arts as a string bass performance major. I took every class available related to playing, played in all of the ensembles that I could, played in as many of the local orchestras as I could, played in as many recitals as I could, performed duets with other people when I had time. I was up every morning at 6:30, rarely went to bed before midnight. My playing was exponentially better after a year. I knew other people there that did the absolute minimum to get by and they sounded about the same after a year.

If you don't get anything out of a degree program, blame yourself, not the program.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hogrider16
    +1

I earned a Master's in theology because it interests me. I'm never going to use it. I'm actually looking at going back and finishing my music degree too, even though I'll never be a full time musician again.

You get out of a degree exactly what you put into it. I went to North Carolina School of the Arts as a string bass performance major. I took every class available related to playing, played in all of the ensembles that I could, played in as many of the local orchestras as I could, played in as many recitals as I could, performed duets with other people when I had time. I was up every morning at 6:30, rarely went to bed before midnight. My playing was exponentially better after a year. I knew other people there that did the absolute minimum to get by and they sounded about the same after a year.

If you don't get anything out of a degree program, blame yourself, not the program.
    I think you guys are misrepresenting the views shared here. The message isn't, education isn't fun and you don't learn anything in school, you should only go to school as a future investment. I don't know how the posts in the thread can be interpreted that way.
    It's to the contrary, If you have the means to take a few years off to immerse yourself in music full-time you'll probably have a blast in school. But if you are going to school to study jazz and get in debt in the hopes that it's a career investment in music, you're probably dreaming. There is no contradiction here, those two things can be true at the same time.
    It's basically what Bruce Foreman eloquently talks about here, starting around 20:00:
    LJS 10: Interview With Bruce Forman - Learn Jazz Standards

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175

I think you guys are misrepresenting the views shared here. The message isn't, education isn't fun and you don't learn anything in school, you should only go to school as a future investment. I don't know how the posts in the thread can be interpreted that way.
    It's to the contrary, If you have the means to take a few years off to immerse yourself in music full-time you'll probably have a blast in school. But if you are going to school to study jazz and get in debt in the hopes that it's a career investment in music, you're probably dreaming. There is no contradiction here, those two things can be true at the same time.
    It's basically what Bruce Foreman eloquently talks about here, starting around 20:00:
    LJS 10: Interview With Bruce Forman - Learn Jazz Standards
    You're reading too much into what I wrote. I responded to christianmm77's post. I haven't been on jazzguitar.be long enough to form an opinion of what the consensus is regarding a degree in music.

I can say that independent of jazz guitar.be there definitely is a movement in America to dismiss the value of a college degree. An educated electorate is a politicians worst nightmare.

User Info Menu

I haven't been on jazzguitar.be long enough to form an opinion of what the consensus is regarding a degree in music.
    Just a small note, I haven't been on the forum for long either but I'm pretty convinced that this isn't a forum of people who have similar opinions and find consensus on issues That is like zero percent true, give or take. Which is a good thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Just a small note, I haven't been on the forum for long either but I'm pretty convinced that this isn't a forum of people who have similar opinions and find consensus on issues That is like zero percent true, give or take. Which is a good thing.
    Diversity is good, but consensus on some issues is good too. I get so sick of music forums where some asshat is always saying in response to the value of a musical education, "Jimi Hendrix didn't know theory, and he did OK." I just always respond, "You aint no Jimi Hendrix."