Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 31 of 31

I forgot my ____in' pick

Got to the show today. No picks in my pocket. No picks in the car. No picks in the guitar case or the cord bag. So I used a plastic luggage tag. Never again!
    Attached Images Attached Images I forgot my ____in' pick-pick-jpg 

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I've seen my father use a tooth from a pocket comb. Back then combs were made from hard plastic, everyone carried one, and it was easy enough to break a tooth off. Not ideal, but it worked in a pinch.

three possibilities-

always keep a couple of picks in your wallet...(every guitarist i know does)

you can always use (unbitten) index finger nail

don't let a small cheap piece of plastic become a crutch in the first place...keep the finger skills primed!...

glad you made it out intact!! hah

cheers

I ran out of picks in 1985, haven't used one since.

Emergency picks should be left in your case at all times.
    Ignorance is agony.

I got one of those little pouches that holds picks on my keychain. So as long as I have my keys, I got a pick.

Honestly, it's saved my ass several times.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

How did it sound ?
    Improvising eh ?
    good man !

i bought about 40 picks a few years ago
    and put a few in my guitar bag , traps bag , amp case etc etc

in addition to putting them in your case pocket, keep a couple in the corner of the case.
    if you haapen to take the ones in the case pocket out and forget to put them back in you'll always have a couple in the case corner.
    another idea is to wedge your pick between the strings when you're done playing, that's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I got one of those little pouches that holds picks on my keychain. So as long as I have my keys, I got a pick.

Honestly, it's saved my ass several times.
    Is this what you mean, Jeff?
    https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Picks-...gateway&sr=8-3

I haven't tried one of those but I'm a fanatic about my keys and they're always (ALWAYS!) fastened to a belt loop, so anything that fits on a keychain could work for me.

Also keep a pick or two in my wallet. And usually in my pants pocket, but somehow they seem to disappear (only to reappear in the dryer days later). But they keychain thing really appeals to me. I assume that holds standard size (351) picks, right?
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

Yep, that's pretty much it.

I think the one I ordered was a little more expensive, $6 for one instead of two it has a little "owl" looking face on it, nice soft leather, not too big, snap clasp seems to be holding up nicely (I've had it about 2 years)

Yes, holds a standard sized pick just fine. I've actually got 3 in there right now, a pro plec, a 2.0mm gator, and a 2.5mm EML, so it holds a pretty good amount...
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

I pretty much finger pick nowdays but I have one of those pick pouches on my keychain too. I've had the same one for about 12 years and it holds a Gypsy Jazz Wegen and a Dunlop Jazz 208. It's held up well over the years. One time in France, I met a Gypsy guitarist who had a thick pick with a hole drilled in it. He had about 18 inches of fishing line with end tied to the pick and the other end tied to the tailpiece. When he'd get done playing, he'd just throw the pick into his oval hole and when he needed it again, he'd fish it back out with the line.

I can play with fingers too) though I love playing with a pick... but the less tools I need, the more safe I am...

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    in addition to putting them in your case pocket, keep a couple in the corner of the case.
    if you haapen to take the ones in the case pocket out and forget to put them back in you'll always have a couple in the case corner.
    another idea is to wedge your pick between the strings when you're done playing, that's what I do.
    If you play an archtop you can drop a couple of picks inside through the f-holes and be sure they will stay there (sometimes even when you want to take them out)... i know it for sure because my son and little daughter do it all the time (of course they just want to secure that dad will have picks when he needs it)

One of my grandsons believes that the f holes are really pick slots. Like a jukebox, just put it in the slot and music should start, or something like that. He puts every pick he can find in whatever guitar is hanging on the wall. The hard part is that he finds the ports on the RE cab, and stuffs whatever he can find in there. It's much harder to get stuff out of there than it is to get picks out of an archtop.

pick holder

I keep a pick holder on my key ring filled with Fender medium, and a couple in my wallet.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...ateway&sr=8-18

I buy my Fender medium picks by the gross.

Also, on some of my guitars with hard poly finishes I take a small piece of light tack scotch tape and tape a pick to the back of the headstock. I only use it when I forget or lose a pick. Of course, I do this just with workhorse axes and not my vintage guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar View Post
    I keep a pick holder on my key ring filled with Fender medium, and a couple in my wallet.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...ateway&sr=8-18

I buy my Fender medium picks by the gross.
    That LED light is a big plus. Fender Mediums are easy to lose against dark backgrounds in dim lighting!
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Is this what you mean, Jeff?
    https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Picks-...gateway&sr=8-3

I haven't tried one of those but I'm a fanatic about my keys and they're always (ALWAYS!) fastened to a belt loop, so anything that fits on a keychain could work for me.
    I use one of these. Never without the three basic picks that I use.

I will noraly put the pick under the stings at the first fret. It stays in place so is thier when i get the guitar to play again.

Wallet-Usually 2, but sometimes when organizing my wallet I’ve found several stuck here and there. I usually play bare, but switch to pick when I want a little more drive.

Back when I was a rocker, I heard that some dude (guitarist from Bad Co?) used a nickel. I tried that a couple times but didn't really like it.

I love great gigs and hate bad ones so much that I keep a gym bag that has everything I might EVER need at a gig... from cords and strings to a little film canister that contains picks... and another film can that contains aspirin... needlenose pliers... tuner... mini-maglite, etc. So when it's time for the gig, I just grab exactly three things: guitar, amp and that bag.

But the bag started to get too full, so I created a 'secondary' bag that contains less-often-needed items that you GOTS to have when you need 'em... like soldering pencil, tiny little multimeter, allen keys... a spare preamp tube and a spare power tube.... and about a half-dozen three-prong AC adapters, cuz there's always SOMEBODY on the gig who needs one. Sometimes it's me :-) That one can get left in the car or tossed behind the amp.

Weird thing about me: I often just keep a pick in my pocket for no reason ... cuz you never know when you'll run into a guitar that says "play me" :-) And cuz its kind of like a reminder to me about who I am. I like having a pick on me, to remind me of what I love in life, even when life is not so lovable.

But I can travel light. For jam sessions or sittin' in, I take just the guitar, one cord, and that pick that's in my pocket.

I've had a couple picks in my pocket at all times for the last 40 years....I'm a freakin' guitarist.

yup, i have a small pouch in my wallet that has a few in it..Best thing ive done is keep a few in the car. in the center console or somewhere..

Rarely happens to me since my very first guitar lesson when my teacher told me to keep one in every single pair and no need to remove for laundry ;-)

...every note has an origin and a destination...
    - Tal Farlow

Blue Chip has a key-chain case, as does V-picks.

Not sure about the Bad Company reference, but Brian May uses a six pence!

There are lots of pick pouches on ebay, etsy, etc, very cheap. If you're willing to wait for shipping from Hong Kong, you can get one for $1.29 with free shipping. I have some Blue Chip pouches acquired as gifts, and I keep one attached to my gig bag, one in my pocket, and a couple more stuck here and there. The last time I was without a pick, I had left home with literally nothing in my pockets - no wallet, nothing. Fortunately I was less than 5 minutes from home, so I went back and got everything. That was before I acquired the pouches.

I have picks in every bag I might take to a gig. The safety net is that I also have a few in my car.

Keep one taped on or under the pickguard. Keep one taped to the back of the cellphone. I pack one in my wallet, next to the Trojan for those "just in case" situations. One has never been called into duty...and the other, yeah, I lose them often.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

30. I have picks everywhere, in pockets, in every guitar gig bag, in my wallet, drivers licence case, key chain.. But whatever you do, the gig comes when they have all gone to the pick convention or whatever... Best solution for me was to keep a bag in the trunk, with cables, power cable, picks, strings, belt, etc, whatever you might forget. But I've had to do gigs with fingers and thumb none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    Blue Chip has a key-chain case, as does V-picks.
    Yup, I've got a Blue Chip one. And of course I always have my keys. A nice one came with my Gibson acoustic too, so when the Blue Chip one wears out, I'll switch to that. But every case always has picks in it as well (just in case)!
    "Thanks, but you should have heard what I was trying to play!" - T. Monk
    http://network.online.berklee.edu/profile/1200078

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    I have picks everywhere, in pockets, in every guitar gig bag, in my wallet, drivers licence case, key chain.. But whatever you do, the gig comes when they have all gone to the pick convention or whatever... Best solution for me was to keep a bag in the trunk, with cables, power cable, picks, strings, belt, etc, whatever you might forget. But I've had to do gigs with fingers and thumb none the less.
    Good point. I have picks in the car. The other thing I carry is a power cable for my Little Jazz amp. Since I'm more accustomed to amps with attached power cables, I'm prone to overlooking the separate power cable for the LJ. But, it's the same cable as desktop computers use so I had extras in a box. I put on in the car, one in my gear bag and a separate one in my practice room. When I finally get a case for the LJ, I'll put one in there too.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed