Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Any suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed playing at the Flushing Town Hall jam in Queens when I lived in Astoria. I felt like there was a lot of comradely at that joint instead of age old postering. However, they only meet on the first Monday of every month.

Fat Cat has jam session every night. I've watched the jams there, but never attended.

I would ask Hep, he knows where all the good jam sessions are in NYC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    Any suggestions?
    I go to the one at Le Cheile in Washington Heights on Wednesdays (down the block from me), and occasionally at Cleopatra's Needle on the UWS. The others tend to be too late for me, but I know people who go to Smalls and Smoke.

John

In Manhattan, Cleopatra's Needle, upper west side, has open jams Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. Small's Smoke both have open jams, as John A. mentioned. Also check Zinc Bar in Greenwich Village.
    In Brooklyn, Bluebird Cafe has two jam sets on Wednesdays. Also check out Williamsburg Music Center and Ba'sik, though their calendars are hard to decipher.
    There's a bunch more you can find through the google machine but do your homework and call ahead as jam sessions come and go and it'd be a shame to travel to Far Rockaway only to find the club closed last week.

User Info Menu

jam sessions: tuesdays at Halyards, sundays at Ba'Sik, wednesdays at the Nest.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies. As it turned out, I didn't have a chance to go to one, but I intend to next trip.

User Info Menu

Ah, late to the party, but yea, I'd recommend Bas'ik on Sunday nights for straightahead, or, if you're brave, Terazza 7 in Jackson Heights for Latin jazz jam.

Also, if you're into Gypsy or Trad Jazz, Fada in Williamsburg on Thursday nights, and The Keep (my fav!) in Bushwick on Wed nights. Also Mona's on Tuesday late nights. But you'd better off bringing acoustic archtop or tenor banjo for this one.

User Info Menu

terraza 7 is for the brave, than call me uncle...

At least I was brave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Ah, late to the party, but yea, I'd recommend Bas'ik on Sunday nights for straightahead, or, if you're brave, Terazza 7 in Jackson Heights for Latin jazz jam.

Also, if you're into Gypsy or Trad Jazz, Fada in Williamsburg on Thursday nights, and The Keep (my fav!) in Bushwick on Wed nights. Also Mona's on Tuesday late nights. But you'd better off bringing acoustic archtop or tenor banjo for this one.
    Is that the one that John Benitez organizes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    Is that the one that John Benitez organizes?
    Yes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    terraza 7 is for the brave, than call me uncle...

At least I was brave
    Yea.. but I think when you were there John Benitez was on hiatus. It's very different when he's in charge, not your ordinary jam for sure. You might start playing one tune, and end up playing something completely different. He likes to switch things around on the fly... It's fun really, only those damn percussionists all playing their own thing and can get... well...confusing.