The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

I'm one of the lucky ones it seems - I play in a few pub/club venues and whilst it sometimes the audience gets noisy, it's rarely so bad that it ends up being a problem. There's been only a few occasions where it's been bad with noise. The band I play in is a four piece, but not loud at all - drummer uses brushes most of the time, and his sticks are so light, they're nearly like chopsticks!

Personally I'm happy to see the audience having a good time - I don't mind the band being in the background. Providing an ambience that is conducive to the customers enjoying their evening is satisfying. They are often quite engaged with the band too, applauding after solos and when songs finish.

Likewise, we are engaged with them, we play requests even if they're not necessarily jazz. It's amazing how many people still want to hear "Rock around the clock" by Bill Haley. Good thing I've learned that guitar solo note for note...!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz

Likewise, we are engaged with them, we play requests even if they're not necessarily jazz. It's amazing how many people still want to hear "Rock around the clock" by Bill Haley. Good thing I've learned that guitar solo note for note...!
    great ! How do you play the long glissando at the end of the solo ?
    i always wondered

its a fabulous solo isn't it ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    great ! How do you play the long glissando at the end of the solo ?
    i always wondered

its a fabulous solo isn't it ?
    When you run out of string, change down to the adjacent lower one

I agree that it's a great solo. I think he had actually originally planned it for another tune....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    When you run out of string, change down to the adjacent lower one

I agree that it's a great solo. I think he had actually originally planned it for another tune....
    That's basically it! That's how I do it.

It takes a bit of practice to get it smooth sounding but once you get the hang of it it's easy -
    Django Reinhardt actually did a lot of chromatic descending runs like that too.
    Who knew that Bill Haley and Django Reinhardt would be in the same conversation?!