The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 160

User Info Menu

I read that Van Halen used to throw big open parties when they were starting and play at them. People would throw them a few bucks (or not) but who cared, they got to play and have a blast. These parties became large affairs and word got around that the band was pretty good and this led to paid gigs.

So there's an idea. Throw a party and you be the band/performer. (If you find this too intimidating then perhaps you are not ready for prime-time.)

Invite anyone and everyone. Tell people to bring food and drink.

My 59 year old college roommate (pop/folk music genre) does this at his house. Has a few steady bandmates of different ages who play with him. Invites the neighbors and friends. They play in his backyard and he gets anywhere from 20-50+ people who show up to have fun. Young people show up too.

I've never been as he lives in another state but I've seen his pics.

Just a thought. Have a jazz party. Keep your day job for now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Plenty of free web traffic, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    I read that Van Halen used to throw big open parties when they were starting and play at them. People would throw them a few bucks (or not) but who cared, they got to play and have a blast. These parties became large affairs and word got around that the band was pretty good and this led to paid gigs.

So there's an idea. Throw a party and you be the band/performer. (If you find this too intimidating then perhaps you are not ready for prime-time.)

Invite anyone and everyone. Tell people to bring food and drink.

My 59 year old college roommate (pop/folk music genre) does this at his house. Has a few steady bandmates of different ages who play with him. Invites the neighbors and friends. They play in his backyard and he gets anywhere from 20-50+ people who show up to have fun. Young people show up too.

I've never been as he lives in another state but I've seen his pics.

Just a thought. Have a jazz party. Keep your day job for now.
    I mean, why not?

I had a band in high school/college...played weird rock (think Zappa interpreted by non-talented musicians), we were underage...we'd rent the local VFW hall with another band who was old enough to sign for it...sell tickets for a few bucks...made hundreds of dollars profit, which we blew on pizza and grass. But that's when we were young and nobody had anything to do, so they might as well come see us.

It's the whole punk DIY thing. Jazz might need to embrace that. Could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Yeah, but amateurs don't need to take free gigs, as a painter doesn't need to give paintings away, but if they want to why not (you don't want to give it away, so don't--you don't have to)? If they're amateurs that play at a pro level and can't get a paying gig, then I say take it or leave it-- it's not your lively hood. Keep the music to yourself or share it. If pros can't play better than an amateur to the point where the venue would prefer to pay for the better music, then they're not good enough to be a pro.

Sure, the party band guy can make bucks because he's in demand. Doesn't matter that he's not talented. DJ's are in demand, that's why they make money.

To go back to painting, Jazz guitar is like a style of painting that almost no one likes. If they want to make money then they better get a job or make art that sells.
    I personally think there are plenty of free gigs out there which are completely appropriate: nursing homes, jam sessions, open mics. The problem is when you start doing (what should be) paid gigs for free or for close to nothing.

I mean... There are plenty of people out there who would love to work for a lot less than minimum wage outside of music as well, because they're desperate for work etc. At what point does sharecropping become less than charitable and demean someone's humanity? At a certain point, these conversations can get more philosophical, but there is such a thing as human dignity. what is an hour of anyone's life really worth? How many hours of work are represented in one hour of music performed etc?

Most of these problems stem from how MUSICIANS view and value their OWN time, more so than the general public. Musicians who would never think of asking someone else to do fair work for NOTHING act as if they feel guilty for charging something at all levels. I have a friend with a fully booked studio who undercharges for lessons and feels guilty for thinking of raising rates.

A hundred bucks is a meal out for a small family nowadays. If a musician can't consider that leaving their house for a performance is worth more than a single meal, the problem isn't with society at large.

It really doesn't matter how you approach it philosophically.... You can go the route of "moral imperatives" for meeting human dignity ....or more pragmatically as supply and demand economics, ....but musicians doing something for next to nothing doesn't help ANYONE. I think it would be better to organize a jam or do something that is legitimately charitable. I take groups to nursing homes all the time, and it's really good for your soul. Do it.

There are plenty of opportunities to help folks who need it, without doing "charity" for those who could reasonably be expected to pay for something. It's an indignity to both parties in my opinion.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 02-22-2019 at 03:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: hippie rock

We were probably so uncool we were cool. Looked like second hand Nirvana, played like the Dead on a bad night, covered everything from the Dead Boys to REM to Allman Bros..but also did comedy routines, had friends who'd dress up in costume. Went on a big Andy Kauffmann kick, once had a friend pretend to beat me up on stage (he got a little too into it, actually busted my lip) People used to request "alternative rock" tunes we hated, we'd hook up a discman to our PA, play a CD and "mime" to it. I wish some tapes existed. We were together for like 10 years, started as a six piece, ended as a trio...good times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

We were probably so uncool we were cool. Looked like second hand Nirvana, played like the Dead on a bad night, covered everything from the Dead Boys to REM to Allman Bros..but also did comedy routines, had friends who'd dress up in costume. Went on a big Andy Kauffmann kick, once had a friend pretend to beat me up on stage (he got a little too into it, actually busted my lip) People used to request "alternative rock" tunes we hated, we'd hook up a discman to our PA, play a CD and "mime" to it. I wish some tapes existed. We were together for like 10 years, started as a six piece, ended as a trio...good times.
    okay that sounds cool. I was in a punk band called stabbed in the face and we had a guy dressed like the ultimate warrior smash us with chairs

User Info Menu

Many people do art at a serious level for self actualization. They are aware that the time they put in, what they produce won't be "paid for", but they still do because it's still worth it. Jazz is no different than other art forms in that respect. There are more poetry books than poetry readers and probably (a lot) more jazz players than the "paying" market needs.
    I see the "service industry" angle as it's a performance that the venue arranges because it helps with their revenues. But not enough that they can't do without in most cases unless it's a dedicated jazz club. In fact during most shows at Toronto's biggest jazz club (The Rex), musicians' income is whatever they can get in the tip jar. Bar pays the musicians only when they charge for cover which happens at certain "primetime" hours, mostly in the weekend evenings.
    The thing is most people enjoy playing in a band in front of a real audience (like most writers want to be published even if the publisher says they won't pay them). It is "service" but it's not cleaning tables for free. It has it's rewards. It's a great way for musicians to gain experience and play with more experienced players. It's "volunteering" for your own benefit.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 04-23-2019 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    okay that sounds cool. I was in a punk band called stabbed in the face and we had a guy dressed like the ultimate warrior smash us with chairs
    Sounds awesome. That's some entertainment right there.

User Info Menu

Sounds awesome. That's some entertainment right there.
    I'm imagining Joe Pass fake smashing a chair over Ella Fitzgerald's head during their concert together.

Wow, that would wake the audience up.

User Info Menu

In reality an amateur musician with a day job can't compete in quality with a pro, not in NYC. The standards are too high. So if it's a place with reputation, they are not going to hire a band to play for free because everyone understands the value. But a lot of places dont have budget for music anyway, so they only happy if someone volunteers to play for free. Usually though, its singer songwriters or rock bands. Not many jazz musicians, if any.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew42
    I know lots of guys who won't leave the house for under XX amount.
    I don't leave the house for under $100. I don't leave the house much.
    No offense to either of you, but my regular response to that line is: "So, how much does it take to get you to play your best?"

Because that's the next step down that path.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    I read that Van Halen used to throw big open parties when they were starting and play at them. . . . These parties became large affairs and word got around that the band was pretty good and this led to paid gigs.
    That turned into a career for The Grateful Dead. Here's Lesh, Garcia & Weir at an Acid Test:

User Info Menu

I might not pay for much, but I would pay to see your reunion tour!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    No offense to either of you, but my regular response to that line is: "So, how much does it take to get you to play your best?"

Because that's the next step down that path.

That turned into a career for The Grateful Dead. Here's Lesh, Garcia & Weir at an Acid Test:

I always play my best. If I'm playing in public, you get all of me. Not sure why you'd think differently. I dont have time for bullshit phone ins...you hire me, you get a pro who earns his pay. And anybody who doesn't give their all doesn't deserve a dime.

User Info Menu

In my professional life I work a lot with start-ups. One thing I have to tell clients all the time is that the customer doesn't have to make your business work for you. If they have unreasonable expectations, they have unreasonable expectations. If they don't value the quality you offer, they don't value the quality you offer. If they are paying more for less elsewhere, they are going to pay more for less elsewhere.

I wish I could have made a living as a craftsman or artist, but the public is not interested in paying money to hear most of us play jazz (or the Piedmont blues that I spent decades playing). There seem to be a couple of cities where the VERY BEST might eke out a living. For the rest, it doesn't matter how much you have given to your art or how empirically good you are. If they are not willing to pay you to play, they aren't going to pay you to play.

But the flip side to that is that you don't owe it to anyone to play for free. Why bother? I think we all know that playing for free isn't going to magically transform into the exposure needed to command a reasonable fee later. The problem isn't exposure, it's the market. The market is going away, not the other way around. So if it isn't going to pay your bills you better be doing it for love. And if playing for free at a gig doesn't bring you joy --F it!
    Attached Images Attached Images No more free gigs-peanuts-4-3-10-gif 

User Info Menu

I play in a big band and an octet. Most of the players involved in these groups are pros in music. There might be a few who can make a middle class living at it (I'm not sure about that) but nobody is making much money playing in groups of 19 or even 8.

My octet was playing for dinner twice a month and yet we had pros .. not names you'd be likely to know, but players like the lead alto for a band you'd know. One of them gigged all the time with good bands (names you'd know locally and maybe beyond) but I can't believe there'd be much money. Most of the good players taught; some in a music store type situation, others in regular schools.
    At least one former NYC Broadway guy gigged all the time -- but I think it helped that his wife had a tech job of some kind.

One guy I play with does Real Estate Open House gigs with a singer. Trio or quartet. One high end Realtor uses them at his open houses for big homes. I think they pay around $100 per person. Another guy, a guitarist who is well known locally plays nursing home and hospices -- I think he may have some kind of training or credential for working in those situations.

I know some truly great players. The ones I know all teach.

Some of the players I know who take the trouble to be leaders and book gigs often report that they pay their sidemen decently and may not make anything themselves.

There may well be players around who are able to get enough high paying gigs to make a decent living, maybe we'll hear from some in this thread.

User Info Menu

When I have friends over for a party, I have to put my guitars in storage. The last time we had a Christmas party some friends were singing carols and they asked me to play. I told them my wife would come around and collect $10 from everyone. That didn't go over well at all. Losers.

David

User Info Menu

What a topic. In my mind is shows how we have to be able to adapt to changing times, social values, and markets. And accordingly, we have to put a realistic value on what we are trying to offer given the current climate so that we can make good decisions.

I personally feel that the old verse of "Casting your pearls before swine" may apply here, at least a little. But, maybe that is arrogant of me to hold Jazz music, especially well-played Jazz music, in such high esteem.

I dunno....

User Info Menu

Here's a thought.

If the idea that jazz used to be an elite club were true because back then pro musicians were plenty busy performing and didn't have time to teach amateurs on the side, wouldn't the worst thing to do be to teach hoards of amateurs then dispatched to the music marketplace to compete against the teaching pro, directly where they live and try to work, offering less value, for less?

Seems to me teaching others to do what you depend upon would be the definition of counter productive. Even more so if the amateur student hoards' inferior music is performed and spread around enough that people in general grow to believe jazz just isn't that good a sounding music. So the harder it is to make it as a pro, the more one strives to make it by teaching others to do that same work...

Anyone ever consider the way to save jazz might be to stop teaching it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Great point. Tell all the Jazz majors lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Here's a thought.

If the idea that jazz used to be an elite club were true because back then pro musicians were plenty busy performing and didn't have time to teach amateurs on the side, wouldn't the worst thing to do be to teach hoards of amateurs then dispatched to the music marketplace to compete against the teaching pro, directly where they live and try to work, offering less value, for less?

Seems to me teaching others to do what you depend upon would be the definition of counter productive. Even more so if the amateur student hoards' inferior music is performed and spread around enough that people in general grow to believe jazz just isn't that good a sounding music. So the harder it is to make it as a pro, the more one strives to make it by teaching others to do that same work...

Yeah, because pro's are just superpowered mutants. They were born pro. Nobody taught them how to play Jazz.
    May be you haven't given much thought to the idea you're proposing

User Info Menu

This came to mind.

In the NYC of my youth, the playground I played ball in had a section with tennis courts. To use them, you had to have a "tennis permit", meaning you paid a fee to play tennis.

My guess is that a lot of people who paid that fee didn't play tennis well enough to get paid to play -- and knew perfectly well they never would.

Should they have given up? Should teachers have refused to teach them?

I know, it's far from a perfect analogy, but the fact is, people like to play this music and enjoy playing for others' enjoyment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Yeah, because pro's are just superpowered mutants. They were born pro. Nobody taught them how to play Jazz.
    May be you haven't given much thought to the idea you're proposing
    I am one who believes the musical part of music may be learned, but can't be taught.

User Info Menu

I always play my best. If I'm playing in public, you get all of me. Not sure why you'd think differently. I dont have time for bullshit phone ins...you hire me, you get a pro who earns his pay. And anybody who doesn't give their all doesn't deserve a dime.
    Well, chief, you're saying that you won't leave the house for less than a hundred. Really?
    Not even if it turns out that the gig leads to a year of great gigs?
    Not even to play with someone who will turn out to be your playing partner for the next few years?
    Not even if it turns out that {insert name here} is in the audience?

You don't know what you miss out on when you turn down that sixty dollar gig to keep your reputation as a Hundred-Dollar Player intact. That's why that kind of 'line in the sand' attitude is short-sighted at the minimum. And you're not a dumb guy, so I was pretty surprised to see it from you.

You play on. I'll take the ones that fall below your standard, and gain the benefit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Well, chief, you're saying that you won't leave the house for less than a hundred. Really?
    Not even if it turns out that the gig leads to a year of great gigs?
    Not even to play with someone who will turn out to be your playing partner for the next few years?
    Not even if it turns out that {insert name here} is in the audience?

You don't know what you miss out on when you turn down that sixty dollar gig to keep your reputation as a Hundred-Dollar Player intact. That's why that kind of 'line in the sand' attitude is short-sighted at the minimum. And you're not a dumb guy, so I was pretty surprised to see it from you.

You play on. I'll take the ones that fall below your standard, and gain the benefit.
    Pretty good fantasy scenario and conclusions going on here.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 02-24-2019 at 06:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Market forces at work:

Note: When red line goes below horizontal green line musician pays to play.

No more free gigs-baisse-jpg
    Last edited by Drumbler; 02-24-2019 at 10:28 AM.