The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 160 of 160
    joelf Guest
    For a private or public event $100/hr, 2 hr minimum----BUT if they can't afford that and can prove it, or you know them and they ask for one, give 'em a break...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"I went to one of the summer concerts. I opening act was good. But he appeared in a dirty tee shirt and ripped up jeans. Looked like he slept in a dumpster. What happened to looking presentable when performing. That is another whole discussion." BBguitar

Hi, BB,
    Don't you know that this type of dress has be come cliche for pseudo-artistic types--some of whom are very well paid. It's the starving artist thing x 10 and the irony is many return to their million dollar mansions or to the comfort of their bedroom in their parents home. But they are free, liberated, unfettered by the constraints of society and express it in their dirty couture chic. Of course, clothes do not the artist make but none of the greats in Jazz or Classical dressed in this manner . . . and then there was Sun Ra.
    Playing again . . . Marinero

https://youtu.be/wUiZoFzU_o0

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    "I went to one of the summer concerts. I opening act was good. But he appeared in a dirty tee shirt and ripped up jeans. Looked like he slept in a dumpster. What happened to looking presentable when performing. That is another whole discussion." BBguitar

Hi, BB,
    Don't you know that this type of dress has be come cliche for pseudo-artistic types--some of whom are very well paid. It's the starving artist thing x 10 and the irony is many return to their million dollar mansions or to the comfort of their bedroom in their parents home. But they are free, liberated, unfettered by the constraints of society and express it in their dirty couture chic. Of course, clothes do not the artist make but none of the greats in Jazz or Classical dressed in this manner . . . and then there was Sun Ra.

Doesn't make it right. Personally I would never consider performing in dirty rags. Soap and water is cheap. If someone showed up at work in a fast food restaurant looking like that they would be sent home.

User Info Menu

Hi, BB,

I wouldn't, but I did see Stephane Grappelli in a white t shirt once

joelf Guest

I hired a guy who showed up in a tee shirt and dirty dungarees----but, trust me, he wouldn't know couture from a canker sore. He needed the the $100---LOL...

User Info Menu

Even with a singer and playing more popular jazz related music it’s difficult to ask a lot of money. Last Sunday’s gig in a bar/restaurant:

Place was full, so they had a good turnover. They paid us $300, free drinks and a meal. But I didn’t really try to ask for a lot more. Well, I have the day job to pay the rent, so.......

The good thing is we can also play our own compositions ;-) They liked us and we can come back.

(Btw, watch until the guitar solo starts - my version of Nina’s famous piano solo ;-)

User Info Menu

I like it, Jay. Excellent playing. I hadn't considered playing that solo, but I may have to start practicing it. Nina's version comes up in my shuffle fairly often.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I like it, Jay. Excellent playing. I hadn't considered playing that solo, but I may have to start practicing it. Nina's version comes up in my shuffle fairly often.
    We played it pretty fast so I was struggling a bit, but alas, haha. I wrote it out for guitar, but I can’t seem to post the pdf here with a free account. PM me your email and I’ll send it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Even with a singer and playing more popular jazz related music it’s difficult to ask a lot of money. Last Sunday’s gig in a bar/restaurant:

Place was full, so they had a good turnover. They paid us $300, free drinks and a meal. But I didn’t really try to ask for a lot more. Well, I have the day job to pay the rent, so.......

The good thing is we can also play our own compositions ;-) They liked us and we can come back.

(Btw, watch until the guitar solo starts - my version of Nina’s famous piano solo ;-)
    Nice stuff! Loved the little kids - the rapturous little boy and the dancing girl. Future fans? Please pass the insulin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Nice stuff! Loved the little kids - the rapturous little boy and the dancing girl. Future fans? Please pass the insulin.
    Yes there were a lot of families with small kids. The kids seemed to like the music a lot, so I am hopeful for the future of jazz! No more free gigs